Which airport for ny and then to manahattan?

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:33 AM
lea

Which airport for ny and then to manahattan?

I can fly into to Newark or La Guardia. How do I get to Manhattan (near central park) from either airport? Any suggestions would be good. Thanks.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Elizabeth

From Newark, there are buses that run on a regular basis to Port Authority (42nd St. & 8th Ave., Manh.). From Port Authority, you can take a cab, bus, or subway to your destination. From LaGuardia, I recommend cabbing it to Manh., although you could also take a bus. The cab to Manh. will probably run about $25 to $30.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 11:05 AM
lea

what is the price to the bus from newark and how long does it take? thanks

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Owen O'Neill

IMHO, Newark is the best choice. It's less subject to air traffic control delays and is eaiser to negotiate. At the moment there is some minor disruption on the concourse due to remodeling but it's not really an issue. The shuttle bus to Manhattan is $13 if I recall correctly and should take 25-45 minutes at most times of day. La Guardia is geographihcally closer to Manhattan but can take just as long.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 02:18 PM
xxx

Flying from the west coast, I've found that I typically get better fares into Newark. It's a fairly convenient airport and the Olympia bus into the city is pretty user-friendly.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Jeff

I live on the Upper East Side near Central Park. If you are just talking distance, LaGuardia is far more convenient, hands down. The negatives are that LaGuardia does chalk up delays due to the fact that it is and always will be so congested. While I appreciate the help that you are receiving as to buses from Newark, don't think for a second that Newark is as close to the east side as LaGuardia, it's just not the case. If you are going to the West side near the Lincoln Tunnel, then you can assume that Newark is better or you can toss a coin.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:28 PM
trav

Take a taxi. They have set fares into the city.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Jeff

Agree that a taxi is fine but only JFK has set prices, LGA does not (because the set price from JFK is less than the normal metered fare from closer LGA). Newark is more and less regulated (not NYC taxis obviously since you are in NJ)

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:34 AM
lea

I got a much better fare into Newark and now have to decide how to get in to Manahttan. I would imagine a taxi to be expensive and if not a fixed price and there is traffic it could really add up. Anyone have an idea of the cost. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:57 AM
thereuare

If you're flying into Newark and traveling solo, the best "value" will be the shuttle busses that go directly to NYC (you can usually go to Port Authority, Grand Central, or Penn Station, and i've also heard of one going to World Trade Center). Cost will be ~$12. Once in NYC, you can either walk, cab, subway, or bus to your hotel/destination. If you let us know where in NYC you need to be (as well as how much luggage you'll have!!) we'll offer the best option for you.

(the luggage amount is to determine how far you can reasonabably walk, not just on the sidewalk, but also considering subway transfers, if necessary)

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:58 AM
rqf

Go to www.panynj.gov and click on Airports and you can find every transporation option from LGA and EWR.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 11:27 AM
FlyGuy

Lea-
1. EWR (Newark) is more miles away but usually has less congestion abnd netter fares
2. The Olympia Trails bus is $11 one way or $20 RT. Ticketes can be purchased on the bus. Pick it up at the bus stop outside baggage claim area. You can get off in Manhattan at either Penn Station (W 34th & 8th) or Grand Central.
3. From either Penn or GCS you can cab or subway to your hotel. If you have more than one piece of luggage, a cab makes life lots easier.
4. Transit time depends on time of day - longer at peak times due to traffic congestion at the tunnel. Buses get to use a lane that taxis can't, so there may be an advantage there.