Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which airport for Jekyll Island in Georgia? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-airport-for-jekyll-island-in-georgia-265095/)

St. Louis Girl Oct 10th, 2002 07:14 PM

Which airport for Jekyll Island in Georgia?

Headed to Jekyll Island (two 30 year old adults and baby), which airport is 1)closer 2) easier route to island and 3) in general the better choice? It looks like the options are Savannah or Jacksonville. BTW we will rent a car of course.<BR><BR>Also we will be visiting DH's younger brother at the Federal Law Enforcement Traing Center while there. I believe it is in Brunswick or Glencoe, GA. If anyone is familar with the area, please let me know the distance between FLETC and Jekyll. Also any not to miss restaurants or things to do?

hcw Oct 11th, 2002 03:45 AM

During the several years we lived on St Simons Island (and I worked on Jekyll), my airport of preference was/is JAX - especially if you'll be staying on Jekyll. But on a return visit in September we used Savannah and really the only difference is where you'll get the best airfare. Both airports are convenient and easy to negotiate, but airfares can vary by as much as $50 - $100 per ticket, and car rental rates can also be significantly different. You might also check the rates for actually flying into Brunswick - that's usually the most expensive option but doesn't hurt to check, and it's about a 10-minute drive from FLETC.<BR><BR>Drive time from JAX to Jekyll will be about 1 hour; from SAV to Jekyll wil be about 1:20, more or less. FLETC is on the north (SAV) side of Brunswick, so about 30 minutes from Jekyll to FLETC.<BR><BR>There's a really wonderful restaurant called Cargo in downtown Brunswick, but most of the other more interesting places are on St Simons Island (about a 20-30 minute drive from Jekyll). Jekyll probably has the better beach, but definitely spend part of a day on St Simons - fun shops, nice beachside walking, great view from the lighthouse, and be sure to have a crabcake sandwich at SandCastle.<BR><BR>I don't have the address for the Visitors Center website handy - you can probably find it through Google - and that will list various tourist options, depending on when you'll be visiting. It's a great place -- have fun!<BR><BR>PS -- apologies if this posts twice . . .seems to be a glitch in the system.

OliveOyl Oct 11th, 2002 04:18 AM

We used to live in Savannah, but on occasion, even we used the JAX airport! It was easier to find direct flights out of JAX to our most common destinations (DFW or Miami) and airfares often were lower to boot. It was only a 2 hr drive from Savannah to JAX and because most of our flights out of Savannah entailed plane changes in Atlanta, it often was a time and temper saver to just make the drive. Because the airport is on the north side of JAX, I believe it's a shorter drive as well for those headed to Jekyll. Both airports are nice and very easy to navigate as hcw said, and both are located just off the interstate--no hassle trying to find your way around unfamiliar territory and minimal traffic at either location.

Jill Oct 11th, 2002 05:49 AM

The Federal Law Enforcement Center (FLETC) is in Brunswick off of Rt 17. From Jekyll Island you can just drive up Rt 17. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes. We sometimes refer to FLETC as Glynco which stands for Glynn County which is the county in which the center is located. There's no town called Glynco. I use to work at FLETC and always used Jacksonville Airport. The majority of students also use the Jacksonville Airport.

St. Louis Girl Oct 11th, 2002 06:17 AM

Thank you for the quick responses. You guys are right, cheaper fares are to be had to Jacksonville Int'l Airport so we'll go for that!<BR><BR>We plan to spen a whole day in St. Simon's as well. I ad already heard about the boardwalk type atmoshpere. Other than that we plan to do the historic tour in Jekyll, visit the FLETC training center and I will spend some time on the beach with the baby while DH has quality time on the golf course with his brother! This will be a short 5 day stay for some relaxation and to see DH's brother. Thanks again.