Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where's the closest snow to Honolulu? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wheres-the-closest-snow-to-honolulu-479731/)

islandmom Oct 11th, 2004 12:59 PM

Where's the closest snow to Honolulu?

Besides the Big Island? I promised my 4 year old we would play in the snow this year. Is Tahoe the closest spot?

here_today_gone2Maui Oct 11th, 2004 01:17 PM

How about SoCal--Wrightwood, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead?

razzledazzle Oct 11th, 2004 01:42 PM

HMMMM...
what about Whistler, B.C.only 2 hours from Vancouver or a place near Seattle
or Portland seem closer than Tahoe,
R5

lvk Oct 11th, 2004 02:12 PM

Which month? The SoCal resorts may have man-made snow on the ski slopes, but unless Mother Nature cooperates, there may be none available for sledding, snowmen, etc.

Gardyloo Oct 11th, 2004 02:43 PM

Yes Tahoe is the closest in airmiles, assuming you connect in SF for Reno then backtrack.

For total elapsed time I'd say Anchorage, though. Alyeska is a 45 min. drive from ANC, but you can play in the snow right in town.

Gardyloo Oct 11th, 2004 02:47 PM

Shot from the hip - can't see any HNL-ANC n/s flights for this winter though! Huh??

vivi Oct 12th, 2004 03:29 AM

Aloha flies Honolulu to Reno (with one stop) and to Vancouver (nonstop.) We used to ski in Tahoe when we lived on Kauai.

islandmom Oct 14th, 2004 06:28 PM

Vancouver might be fun, never been there.

Gardyloo Oct 14th, 2004 06:40 PM

The virtues of Vancouver are (a) very affordable hotels on Priceline, (b) Grouse Mountain - no need to go all the way to Whistler unless you want to ski and don't mind very high prices. Grouse Mt. is a short drive from the city center - tram up to the snow, looking down on the (snowless) city and harbo(u)r. Then back to bare pavement, best aquarium on the west coast, lots for adults and kids to do in town.

islandmom Oct 14th, 2004 06:49 PM

Oh thanks. I'll look them both up. What kind of paperwork do you need for canada? You don't need passports do you?

Gardyloo Oct 14th, 2004 09:34 PM

Officially, passports or birth certificates. We've never been asked, but that's the official line I believe.

JohnD Oct 15th, 2004 04:54 AM

There may not be any snow,
but after watching a few episodes of((&amp;))(link:<font color="blue">www.dogthebountyhunter.com</font>)seems <i>ice</i> is close at hand, something we didn't notice on our visits there.

Any comments Islandmom((?))
P.S.-not seeking to hijack your thread#o

vivi Oct 15th, 2004 10:22 AM

We went to Canada from Hawaii for 10 days for last year and were absolutely grilled by immigration and customs. We had to show our passports upon departure at HNL. In Calgary we were interviewed by immigration officers upon arrival and also at departure. We were even sent to a secondary screening for more questioning and a thorough luggage inspection where they unpacked everything. They would not have let us enter without a passport or a birth certificate plus one other form of gov't picture ID. I have no idea why we received such scrutiny.

Also, sometimes the Canadian officials will not allow young children who are traveling with one parent to enter unless that parent has a notarized letter from the other parent.

chepar Oct 15th, 2004 11:12 AM

&gt;Also, sometimes the Canadian officials will not allow young children who are traveling with one parent to enter unless that parent has a notarized letter from the other parent.&lt;

How common is this? Realistically, for our trip to Vancouver next year - does this mean I have to travel with a copy of my divorce decree that indicates I have sole legal and physical custody of my daughter?

islandmom Oct 15th, 2004 05:31 PM

They wouldn't let me board a trip to Cozumel with my daughter eventhough my husband was traveling to join us a few days later. You HAVE to have notarized letters if you are alone.

ICE is a HUGE problem here. What is sad is all types of people are hooked. Your everyday mom and dads and people you wouldn't expect. I watched the documentary on it and the reason it is so dangerous is because ONE use and your brain chemically needs it. Your body can't fight it. My husband is firing people about once a month for this drug use. It's so sad. The people turn out of their minds or violent. I'm always aware of who is around me on the road and out. You can see and smell people smoking it. If someone confronts you, don't even try to reason with them, just get out of there.

Rusty Oct 15th, 2004 05:36 PM

..... and Ice has what to do with travelling to Canada ?

E Oct 15th, 2004 07:36 PM

Rusty, see JohnD's post above...I was confused too, at first.

JohnD Oct 16th, 2004 08:23 AM

<font color="blue">Islandmom</font>, Thanks very much for your sharing your insight about the problem, and we'll definitely heed your thoughtful advice and follow our noses on our next Oahu visit though as tourists to Hawaii, common sense is about our only guide to avoid areas where one might encounter problems. Mahalo!