Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where's the beef? BEST hamburger is . . . (know most expensive is Old Homestead in NYC) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wheres-the-beef-best-hamburger-is-know-most-expensive-is-old-homestead-in-nyc-165014/)

clara pelletier Jan 14th, 2003 08:31 AM

Where's the beef? BEST hamburger is . . . (know most expensive is Old Homestead in NYC)

-<BR>Read about the most expensive burger? It’s a 20-oz hamburger made from Kobe beef (they massage the cows!) and can be found at the Old Homestead restaurant in New York City. At $41, it better be a darn tasty piece of meat!<BR><BR>http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/01/11/offbeat.nyc.burger.ap/<BR><BR>What I’d like to know is where folks go or have been for a truly mouthwatering beef sensation in this country??? Surely I can get a great burger for a lot less than $41. Wherever you are, name your best burger joint.<BR><BR><BR> = = = = = = =

The Jan 14th, 2003 08:34 AM

A double double, animal style at In N Out Burgers in California and Las Vegas.

Meat Lover Jan 14th, 2003 08:38 AM

Top Notch Beef Burgers on the south side of Chicago - the BEST!

lori Jan 14th, 2003 08:43 AM

Red Robins on the West Coast, Yummy, around 8$ for a huge burger.

xxx Jan 14th, 2003 08:48 AM

Hmmm. I love the Red Robin burgers. The Whisky River BBQ one is to die for.

clara pelletier Jan 14th, 2003 08:51 AM

-<BR>Ooooooooo, it's coming up on lunchtime in my zone (Central) and I'm wishing I could try some of these suggestions. Keep 'em coming! Thanx.<BR>

CoachBoy Jan 14th, 2003 08:55 AM

In-n-Out has the best burgers...wouldn't order Animal Style unless you like mustard.<BR><BR>Coachboy

Franklin Jan 14th, 2003 08:57 AM

Let me take on a relatively non controversial topic and educate everyone.<BR><BR>The &quot;taste&quot; of the burger can be manipulated by the butcher. He can take the same meat from the same cow and grind it so you can have different tasting hamburgers.<BR><BR>The so called &quot;juiciest&quot; and &quot;best tasting&quot; burgers have a HIGHER fat content than most other burgers. If a restaurant gets a mix that approaches 18% fat it is sure to be a top ten place for burgers in that city. The downside is that the burger is less healthy and does not hold together as well on the grill.<BR><BR>Best burgers? Cheeseburger in Paradise, Lahina, Maui. Miller's Bar, Dearborn, Michigan. Pebble Beach Pro Shop, Pebble Beach, California.

jim Jan 14th, 2003 09:04 AM

Here we have another post as goofy and non travel related as the Chicago Pizza vs. White Castle Post.

jim Jan 14th, 2003 09:10 AM

Sorry, I am an idiot.

mo Jan 14th, 2003 09:13 AM

I love In and Out Burgers, but I have only had them a few times when traveling for business on the West Coast. Can someone tell me what &quot;animal style&quot; is? Or maybe I don't want to know

yuck Jan 14th, 2003 09:29 AM

Cheesburger in Paradise on Maui is horrible

mike Jan 14th, 2003 09:39 AM

let me try and get this right... first we massage the cow to make them feel good, and then we prod them to their tragic bloody death?<BR><BR>mmmmm... tastey!

Chocolate Man Jan 14th, 2003 09:44 AM

I think Cheeseburger in Paradise is great! I have eaten there a number of times and never been disappointed. They have a limited menu so what they do they do well. There is always a line to get in.<BR><BR>Great place!

Dino Jan 14th, 2003 09:58 AM

Another vote for Cheeseburger in Paradise. The BEST burger I have ever eaten!!!

Mike Jan 14th, 2003 10:05 AM

Louis Lunch, New Haven, CT. One of about 3 who claim to have made the first hamburger in America. Made on a press machine of sorts.

xxx Jan 14th, 2003 10:10 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how anybody can eat a 20-ounce burger. A pound and a quarter?! Good lord.

louis Jan 14th, 2003 10:18 AM

Red Robin Red Robin Red Robin! Yummy Yummy, Guacomole burger! Yummy!!!

Claude Jan 14th, 2003 10:18 AM

I believe there is a long dispute about where the first hamburger was made. New Haven and St Louis both claim credit, I think.<BR><BR>In any event Cheeseburger in Paradise gets my vote as best burger place. The one in Lahina.

x Jan 14th, 2003 10:21 AM

20 oz is so excessive. I have no recommendation for the best burger. Haven't eaten a burger since 1996. Not a vegatarian either. Just not a healthy choice.