Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where's a great place to live? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/wheres-a-great-place-to-live-218571/)

wanna no May 9th, 2002 04:25 PM

Where's a great place to live?

My husband (a brilliant financial analyst) and I (his obviously adoring wife)are looking to relocate from Los Angeles. <BR>Our stats: <BR>We're both over 30, college educated, no kids, love sophisticated nightlife and great restaurants.<BR><BR>What city offers:<BR>a) good employment opportunities<BR>b) culture and plenty to do<BR>c) a high standard of living at fair prices?

Mike May 9th, 2002 04:34 PM

Indianapolis...I know, you are laughing right now. Indy has several job opportunities, museums, athletic attractions (Speedway!), and great restaurants. There is also great nightlife in Broad Ripple. There are several suburbs with affordable and safe neighborhoods. You can have a high standard of living here without the high prices.

Cece May 9th, 2002 04:46 PM

I live in San Diego & wouldn't want to live anywhere else! Unfortunately, the cost of living here isn't cheap or even reasonable. We have plenty of wonderful restaurants in the Gaslamp, La Jolla etc, theater, museums, Seaworld, zoo. The weather is spectacular, we are 2 hrs from Big Bear & Palm Springs. It's great! Like I said though the housing is expensive. We bought a small 3 BR, 2BA 4 yrs ago for $229,000 that is now worth almost $350,000! It's ridiculous. Condo's can go for $300,000. Best of Luck!

cd May 9th, 2002 04:52 PM

RE: Where's a great place to live?<BR>Close to family. If at all possible choose a city that fills your specifications that is closest to your families. Friends, come and go. Sometimes jobs come and go but a family that loves and supports you is forever and it's nice to grow old with them.

metsgirl May 9th, 2002 05:16 PM

NY has all what you're looking for.

Jack May 9th, 2002 05:29 PM

You won't find any cities in the USA which would make a top 10 list in each of your categories. They are mutually exclusive.<BR>Growth/tech cities by and large have the best employment opportunities but are often newish and lacking in refined cultural opportunities.<BR><BR>Charlotte: growth is good, standard of living is good but not top 10, cultural opportunities are not top 20. <BR><BR>Raleigh/Durham: growth and employment opportunites are excellent, cost of living pretty good for what you get (including weather/seasons which are very nice values added), and cultural opportunities unusually good for an area this size due to Duke/UNC/NC State universities. But not a great cross section of restaurants or cosmopolitanism/sophistacted nightlife.<BR><BR>Chicago: top 10 in culture and restaurants, excellent opportunities in finance area, sophistacated nightlife is available, crummy weather, cost of living isn't great.<BR><BR>Minneapolis: top 12-15 in culture, top 15 for restaurants and shopping, nightlife isn't what I'd consider sophisticated, weather is bottom 10, cost of living is very good relative to amenities.<BR><BR>Washington DC: top 10 restaurants, top 5 culture, top 5 sophisticated nightlife, great opportunities in finance, poor cost of living and life stress index, pretty good weather profile overall (hot, humid summers--cool winters).<BR><BR>NYC: numero uno in cultural opportunities and 'sophistication', best restaurants in US, financial center of the world, very high cost of living unless you want to commute quite a distance.<BR><BR>Boston: top 10 cultural opportunities with relatively sophisticated scene, great restaurants, solid financial opportunites, very expensive, very poor weather (due to long gray winters).<BR><BR>Philly: poor man's NYC. Less of everything NYC has going for it, with more reasonable cost of living, more crime.<BR><BR>Indianapolis: cost of living is great, but if you're looking for culture (as in museums, music, theater etc not car racing and monster truck shows) it's not top 20 and what's there is not 'sophisticated'.<BR><BR>Austin: growth off the charts, fair cost of living relative to other top cities, decent weather (but long hot summers), top 25 restaurants, culture is less 'sophisticated' than young/energetic, with heavy southwestern/cowboy influence. University of Texas helps.<BR><BR>Phoenix: rapid growth but flagging tech/financial market at present, top 25 restaurants, top 30 culturally (that is, poor for an area this size and not 'sophisticated' at all), vary fair cost of living, weather a big minus if you like LA.<BR><BR>Atlanta: top 15 restuarants, sophisticated 'society based' nightlife but not as much in the way of cultural opportunities for the society outsider--that is not top 15 for museums/theater/music, good opportunities in finance, nice housing options but cost of living higher than the median of the top 20, very humid/hot summers, nouveau riche attitude prevails.<BR><BR>I don't know San Diego, SF or Seattle too well. I wouldn't bother with Miami, Cleveland, Detroit, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Baltimore, New Orleans, Nashville, SLC. ?Denver<BR>

Frank May 9th, 2002 05:31 PM

These type of questions are so idiotic. ("Hi! You don't know me from Adam's cat, but would you be ever so kind as to decide one of the most important things in life for me.") It's especially idiotic when someone is moving from an area that has everything they are looking for.<BR><BR>That aside, how about Memphis...no, wait - I'll throw the dart again...

nigel May 9th, 2002 05:32 PM

Oh piss off Frank, you just cruise through the posts and add your 2 cents worth and nothing of use?

jammer May 9th, 2002 05:40 PM

Frank's just pissed because he can't get past that assistant manager's job at the gas station convenience store in Tupelo, Mississippi.<BR>So he dumps on everyone else's parade.<BR>Hey Frank, throw on some extra hot dogs over at the rotisserie. I might be driving through this evening.<BR>

Kathy May 9th, 2002 05:48 PM

I think that cd gave the best advice, I think that those who chose to live far from family miss out on alot.

Helen May 9th, 2002 07:54 PM

You didn't mention weather requirements....being that you're from Los Angeles you're probably very spoiled with nice mild climates year around. If you can live with COLD, Chicago is a wonderful city that has all the culture and opportunities you're looking for. Believe it or not, Boulder is another city that has a lot to offer in the way of opportunities. It also has the beauty and esteem you'd like. If weather is a consideration than you need to head for Orange County or San Diego....definitely stay in California weather wise. i've lived in lots of areas due to my husbands job so I'm familiar with many great cities. Do NOT go to Florida, it was one of the worst places I lived. I had wonderful friends and neighbors there but would never return due to their terrible hot and humid weather (lots of bugs there too!) Helen

Julie May 9th, 2002 08:03 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but, assuming you live in one of the Southern California lovely suberbs....aren't you leaving what you just described as wanting? I've never lived in Southern California but have vacationed there several times. Everything you described is right out your door....maybe move North to Santa Barbara (wonderful but without the night life you're looking for) or Orange County (also wonderful and full of upscale Yuppies from what I saw). Sorry, it sounds like you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and from what I've seen traveling through out the USA, Southern California has it all....even with the horendous freeway traffic! You'd better give them some more thought before you leap. Julie from the midwest

Sam May 9th, 2002 08:09 PM

Without knowing your tolerance or familiarity with very cold winters, this question is impossible to answer or even attempt to speculate. Shed some more light on this....?? Sam

Mona May 9th, 2002 08:25 PM

I'd like to hear more about why you'd want to leave Southern California....what is it that you're trying to escape? I would highly recommend Austin though. There are lots of opportunities here and I'm sure the price of housing is far less than other growth cities. I've moved around myself but I absolutely love it here!! If you can handle freezing cold winters, Chicago is another great city.

Mona May 9th, 2002 08:26 PM

Me again, I forgot to ask if you are planning to start a family? Raising children would have a bearing on what cities are recommended as well because than you get into the best school districts etc. Yes or No? Mona

Ani May 9th, 2002 09:07 PM

Julie and Mona-They live in LA-what AREN'T they trying to escape?...ughhhhh

Julie May 10th, 2002 05:31 AM

I think Mona asked a reasonable question....what are they trying to escape? When someone says they live in Los Angeles, it does not mean that they necessarily live in the city of Los Angeles (agree "Ugh") but this may be generic for living in Los Angeles County which has many WONDERFUL communities or just down the road an hour is Orange County which is far from an "Ugh" and has some very upscale, lovely towns. I agree that it is important to know why they're leaving the area they're considering leaving...certainly not for the weather! It could be the cost of housing....that ideal weather probably doesn't come cheap! Also, whether or not they plan to raise a family is important with regards to schools. Julie

Julie May 10th, 2002 05:32 AM

I think Mona asked a reasonable question....what are they trying to escape? When someone says they live in Los Angeles, it does not mean that they necessarily live in the city of Los Angeles (agree "Ugh") but this may be generic for living in Los Angeles County which has many WONDERFUL communities or just down the road an hour is Orange County which is far from an "Ugh" and has some very upscale, lovely towns. I agree that it is important to know why they're leaving the area they're considering leaving...certainly not for the weather! It could be the cost of housing....that ideal weather probably doesn't come cheap! Also, whether or not they plan to raise a family is important with regards to schools. Julie

xxx May 10th, 2002 06:02 AM

Chicago hands down.

cd May 10th, 2002 06:08 AM

Have you noticed that the one who asked this question is not participating in the dialogue?