Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where would you wed if money wasn't an issue?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are having a difficult time nailing down our destination wedding location. Just curious, if you could/would have done a destination wedding anywhere in the world, where would it be?

And money certainly is an issue...but just wanted to get some ideas. Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM

I am curious then as to why you are insisting on a destination wedding. If you don't know where to have it, and don't want to spend a lot of money doing it, my reaction is that you should probably get married as close as possible to where most of your guests live to make it convenient. It's expensive for them too and then they are stuck going there on vacation whether they wanted to or not. Congrats, though, and happy planning!
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM

I would wed on a sunbeam.

L.M. Sunshine
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM

My DH and I renewed our wedding vows for our 10-year anniversary in Venice, Italy and it was perfect in every way. If I had my wedding to do over again, and preferred a destination wedding, that location would still be my choice.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM

Hotel du Cap Eden Roc, Cap d'Antibes, France. BIG money. HUGE.

Hopefully I'll have the cash when my girlfriend & I are ready.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

It'll be less than 20 people...only immediate family...or even less than that and just our parents. We did think about the potential inconvenience/cost for folks to travel...that's why we'll be doing a local casual reception after we return.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM

Somewhere with a beautiful beach- the Florida keys?

Or somewhere in Europe, maybe....
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM

And crossroadz- what are your requirements- church or civil?
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM

Ashford Castle... Co. Mayo Ireland
(near Westport)
Shadow
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM

My husband and I married this past September on Maui. It was perfect! We had about 12 guests, and every one loved going on vacation as well as seeing us get married in a beautiful location. We had a party at home, like you mentioned, but before the wedding. But, doing it after would allow you to share photos and possibly a wedding video with your guests.
Those who wanted to go to Maui, did, and the others did not feel left out because we had the other party as well.
Our guests all enjoyed their vacation and the wedding. I've never had so much fun as I did our wedding day. It was so intimate, and having close family and friends there made it that much more special. Everyone was relaxed and we could all sit at one large table for the reception.
You can have a wedding on Maui for very little, or a whole lot! Our wedding + honeymoon cost less than most average weddings. My parents were happy about this because they got to have a fabulous vaction as well!
So, after all of that rambling, I suggest Maui. Where ever you go, just take one thing at a time and realize not everything will work out EXACTLY like you want, but it will be pretty darn close. I can recommend some great vendors on Maui if you'd like, just let me know.
By the way, having a large wedding at home and then leaving for your honeymoon could be fabulous as well. Having a destination wedding was just more "us", if that makes sense. I have a feeling that if you're considering it, you know what I mean.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:04 AM

I don't see a problem with destination weddings. I'm not married but find the idea of getting married on a cruise ship really neat! You don't really have to be rich to get married fairly inexpensively unless the bride is a Princess.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:10 AM

There have been several previous posts on the concept of a destination wedding. Here's one and I warn you, it's got 110 replies.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34800716

Bottom line, I and many others feel destination weddings are pretty selfish. It's fine for the wedding couple getting married AND having the honeymoon in the same place. You are going to take off the time from work anyway, and you pick the location you want. But for the others, they usually have to spend much more $$$ than they would otherwise, take precious vacation time off from work and travel to someplace they might not want to go.

Sooo, if you don't have a "place" that speaks to you, forget it and get married at home and save everyone a lot of expense. If you want a small, familuy only service, do it at home or near where most of the family is and go to the fanciest place you can find for a meal. It will still cost a fraction of the destination wedding. Then go on your honeymoon, come back and have your party.

If you do insist on the destination idea, people need to know time of year and where you live to make reasonable suggestions.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:18 AM

St. Lucia, Ladera Resort.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:36 AM

I'm with mclaurie on this - destination weddings are a pain for everyone. I can't imagine why anyone would think their guests would be thrilled with the idea of travelling thousands of miles to a location they may not particularily find appealing, facing the prospect of giving up vacation time, spending a lot more on airfair, hotels and food than they ordinarily would, and having to spend perhaps as much as a week or so in the company of others that they might not want to be with for more than a few hours just for the privillage of watching to self-centered people get married.

Weddings are a special event and can be enjoyed by all but but the festivities should only last for a day. After that the guest should be able to return home and the happy couple should go away on their honeymoon.

Do your friends and relatives a favor, get married close to home and begin your married life with a trip by yourself - you don't need company on your honeymoon.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
stevefrat

My wife I seriously considered a destination wedding followed by a honeymoon in the same location. We wound up not doing that for a variety of reasons, but one of them was the idea of bumping into our wedding guests all week during our honeymoon. Knowing our respective families, we knew we'd feel obligated to spend time with them.

Anyway, that's just one thing to consider. Congratulations and best of luck!

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM

Anywhere in the world?
I'd pick my hometown.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM

At my own church.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

Id have my reception at my house...(actually did this)
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:04 AM

I went to a wedding in Positano Italy last year - Stunning!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM

I agree with the no destination posters. We had some friends children get married at a very expensive resort a few years ago. They had to cut down on the list, and if you are one of the ones cut, you aren't real happy about it. We were invited to the bigger reception back home, but there is always that stigma that you weren't close enough, special enough for the first list, and everyone knows it.

The destination was a very expensive resort (why I don't know) and all the friends had to pay to fly there and some of their children. The church was so small, it could barely hold the family.

So, what is the point? Why not have a lovely wedding with the people you care about coming to wish you the best and show you the love? That, to me, is what weddings are all about. The blessings, the love, the emotions, the support. Not about "where" it takes place. That, IMO, is what a honeymoon is for.

OK, sorry, you asked the question...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -