Where would you go last minute?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a week for vacation (driving) where would you go? Assuming you'd start from NE Ohio. I am going to be on vacation next week. But as God is my witness, I can't come up with any good ideas. Help!!! I can give details as requested. I need a 'nudge' to get some good ideas. thanks PS- This is the first week long vacation I've taken in 18 years. I've taken weekend vacations many times to the surrounding areas (detroit,pittsburgh,columbus, cincy). No reservations have been made yet and I'm leaving on Saturday.....
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Depends on what you like to do, and what kind of a vacation you're looking for. Do you want one destination, or keep on the move?

If you don't want to drive far - I really have enjoyed western New York and north central Pennsylvania. Not filled with tons of "things" to do, but it was a pretty area to visit. Calm and relaxed. Or up into Canada.

Washington DC and Virginia are certainly within easy range. Both would be great destinations. Baltimore is a nice city, as is Philadelphia. Nashville is great. too.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:50 AM

This is the first week long vacation in 18 yrs. and you've made no plans? Why? Are you going alone? How can we possibly make suggestions w/o knowing anything about you, your likes/dislikes? What sort of budget?

If it were me, I'd either do something around the Great Lakes or go up to Canada where the dollar is strong. What about Montreal?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM

I second Montreal.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:15 AM

Maine or Montreal + Quebec City.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:41 AM
cd

In no particular order:

1. Mackinac Island
2. Old town Quebec
3. Charleston SC and Savannah
4. The Outer Banks
5. Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry
6. Door County, Wisconsin
7. History of Washington DC and Philadelphia
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Emucom, are you leaving THIS Saturday, August 12th?
Then go to Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Dear Emucom,

Good morning! I think Marthas Vineyard or Nantucket sound like fun! Here are some deals:

http://tinyurl.com/eo4c7

Wherever you choose to go please ENJOY YOURSELF b/c after 18 years with no (long) vacation I bet you highly deserve it!

\/

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM
GoTravel

Do you want beach or urban?

If beach, do you want party town or laid back or both?

If city do you want big city (NY, Boston, Chicago) or small city (Charleston, Key West)?

Are you driving?

Would you consider a last minute package to a flying destination like Mexico or Europe?

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:50 AM
GoTravel

What is your budget?

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Kal

I just saw some beautiful pix of Wisconsin's Door County. (thx lil' mak!) Too far?

Then again, Harper's Ferry, G'burg, Antietam area is beautiful and historic country too.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:29 AM

I would probably go New England, Boston and/or one of the capes, maybe a day trip to Maine or a jaunt into Vermont. But it depends on what you're looking for, and you'd better make some reservations fast!

Joanne
http://www.vacationing-with-kids.com
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Budget: middle of road dont like to pay more than $70 a night for hotel.

I am renting a car. Why put all those miles on my own?

I am traveling with my best friend. We are both in our 40's.

Reason I have not had a long vacation in 18 years is because I am running my own business with my brother and just too busy.

I am the type of person who would be bored without something interesting to do each day. My friend likes to just veg out on a vacation and relax. That would be nice for a couple of days, but I would get bored quickly.

Any other questions that would help please post.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Emucom, things did change in 18 years. $70 per night for a hotel room is no longer middle of road budget. Don't expect to find variety of accommodations for $70.00. If you finally find something at your price range don't expect much from such room.
You wrote you have to have <something interesting to do each day>. What are interesting things to you? Shopping, clubbing, rock climbing, long drives on scenic roads, biking, bars, museum, operas, classical concerts, antiquing, running marathon, visiting spas? What are you interests?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

I like scenic road driving. I like fairs and festivals. Actually once was thinking of going to the State Fair in Louisville, KY. My first idea of a trip was Louisville. As far as $70 hotels, they were abundant on my weekend trips.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Good luck with your trip
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Here is my initial plans....
Leave Satuday afternoon. Arrive Columbus. Ohio State fair is on Sunday. Stay overnite. Leave for Louisville area Monday. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday open. thursday or Friday go to KY state fair. Leave Sunday morning for home. So I guess I need suggestions for Kentucky and Louisville area.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:09 AM

It sounds like you deserve to have a fantastic vacation. A relaxing one!!

I know what family business is all about!

I think KY would be a great place to go. You could always stay at a chain Hotel such as Red Rood Inn - less than $70 ( according to their signs)

The KY state Fair starts the 17th. Here is a link:

http://www.kystatefair.org/

What about KY lake or the Cumberland Gap area for boating, water recreation? It is beautiful area to drive around in too!

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:53 AM
JJ5

Last minute, I totally second the State Fair or any other venues that are close to home and not tourist locations that are constantly mentioned.

You might want to go to your library and get an "off the beaten path" book for your state. There are several good ones around and published every year so they are super up to date. Or go to your local B&Noble or other big book store.

You will be shocked at all the locations you can frequent that you never knew were there, and how some of them are just as awesome as features that may be more advertised and are 500 or 1000 miles away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -