Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where would you go: free airfare and hotel - with 1 year old???

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:39 AM
KEC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We were given vouchers for a free flight because of some problems with a flight this summer. We are thinking of travelling for 3-4 days in the middle of October. We would like to avoid spending a lot of money, so we will be using Marriott or Holiday Inn reward points.

We would like to keep the flight relatively short (we are flying from Philadelphia) & it has to be within the continental US.

We have a 1.5 year old son who we will probably bring. We MIGHT leave him with family, but might also prefer to bring him if we can think of somewhere "family" friendly to go.

I know that this is pretty general, but I am looking for some ideas. We want to get our money's worth for the tix (United, by the way), but don't want to go as far as California or Washington.

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I'd pick a Marriott Residence Inn so you could get a little privacy and not have to eat every meal in a restaurant.

I'd also want some place I could fly non-stop, given that you are planning only a few days and might be travelling with a toddler.

Charleston? Savannah? Chicago?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Agree with the Chicago suggestion. But also consider Boston. We took our toddler last year and are going back in Oct. We are staying at the Marriott Custom House which is all suites, right near Quincy Market. The children's museum is great (there is a Clifford the Big Red Dog exhibit there now) and after 5pm on Friday it is only $1 pp! You can go for an early dinner and then run him ragged at the museum. Boston is also a great walking city, so if he is a stroller-napper you can see a lot and not have to be back at the hotel for nap time.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM

For only 3 to 4 days, I'd leave the toddler at home since that seems to be a possibility, and head out for something of a special get-away vacation for two. Santa Fe? Glorious in October.

B/
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:28 PM

I you can't get away without toddler I agree with Boston. Great kid's museum (even for a one year old) and the aquarium would even interest him.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Boston or Chicago have lots of options and it keeps the flight short. If you decide to not take your kid at last minute, you're still in a major city where you can change plans to fit a romantic adult weekend.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM

i would probably try to get the most out of the free ticket and take as long a flight as i felt i could handle, and where you might have better chance for fab weather.

the weather out west would most likely be so nice, even a trip to arizona, or new mexico (as mentioned) should be fun.

there are plenty of beautiful resorts out there to sit by pool and soak up the fresh air, with or without baby.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Somewhere warm would be my choice. Find a hotel with a kiddie pool, and a flight less than 3 hours also. Anything longer with kids is tough.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I hate to suggest it..but Orlando might be a good option. Besides Disney, you can take your tot to Sea World. I've been taking my daughter there since she was a couple months old and she loves it. The animals are perfect for that age. Plus, October is nice here 1) Lines are very short because kids are back in school 2) The weather is starting to cool off (80's vs 90's). Also, I know they have a ton of Marriots and Holiday Inns in the attractions area that you could use your points at. I would suggest a suite hotel (Homewood or Embassy) because those are nice to have with children. Not sure what Marriot and HI equivalents are.

Also, if you wanted to head towards the beaches, you are only 1.5-2hrs away on either direction!

Also, the flights to/from Orlando are always packed with children..so he will fit right in.