Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where would you go for a Fall Getaway in Calif? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-would-you-go-for-a-fall-getaway-in-calif-478486/)

R Oct 5th, 2004 01:28 AM

Where would you go for a Fall Getaway in Calif?

Had to cancel our big trip to Vancouver Island, as my elderly mom had a setback, healthwise, then.
And yet, we do need some time 'away' to re-energize. too. (now that she's doing better)

We're now considering a couple of shorter trips (3-4 days or long weekends). In a way, a longer trip, seems like too much work at this end, just now. We're just SO tired. :-\

Sounds strange, I know...never thought I'd say that! (I LOVE getaways.)
But, shorter getaways might be more what we need right now.
Please help us pick just where to go between now & early November.

Too tired to do tons of research...
burnt out, but needing so much some sort of getaway!! So, please consider helping us out, if you have any favorites, amongst our ideas below. :-)
Our options include:

1) Sonoma Valley...perhaps Healdsburg?
Never been to this region, despite living in Calif. almost 20 years now! Is it special this late in Fall?
Any 'colors'?
Grapes on the vine, or is it too late for that?
Haven't read that much on this region, but think we'd stay either in Sonoma itself, or Healdsburg. Perhaps this region is best saved for the winter/spring when it would be all green? (we have been to Napa once...many years ago)

2) Gold Country...
have been in Nevada City before & enjoyed the fall colors (am a transplanted Midwesterner, so miss the colors)
Perhaps re-visit Nevada City or explore the southern Gold Country, where we've never been (ie. Murphy's, Columbia)?

3) Big Sur
Haven't been in years. Have been to Carmel/Monterey w/in the last few years.
Would probably try to explore area near Deetjen's...hike in parks, etc.
Not sure if this too is much better in the Spring? Maybe better saved, for when that waterfall flows directly into the ocean?

4) Yosemite
Could have autumn colors, but the falls might still be dry, which would be a bummer. Haven't been in about 3 years. A glorious area in Spring! Anybody recommend it for this time of year?

5) Hope Valley, south of Tahoe.
Have never been. Heard it often has nice fall colors.

6)Point Reyes...
have been, but always in the Spring.
Perhaps a secret 'jewel' in Fall?
Can only guess.

Any suggestions you'd have...are most appreciated!!! Thank you. :-)

Otis_B_Driftwood Oct 5th, 2004 07:47 AM

All of the places you suggested are very special in the Fall. Right now, the aspen are turning up in the Eastern Sierra. For vineyards, November is when the leaves turn. On the coast, there can be wonderfully warm days right up into early December. One place on our list for this fall are the caverns up around Murphys and Angels Camp.

dovima Oct 5th, 2004 08:07 AM

R,
Several years ago I took a driving trip in October through the Feather River country near Oroville, CA. I took Highway 70 up to Quincy and then took 49 down from its starting point way near the Tahoe National Forest. Quincy was like a little New England town transplanted to the Sierra foothills. The whole drive had spectacular scenery, especially the part where you go through tunnels blasted through gigantic piles of rock (on Highway 70). I would recommend lodging in Nevada City or Grass Valley, as Oroville and Quincy do not have a wide choice of places to stay.

Or, how about a few days in Mendocino? Book a nice B&B either in the town of Mendocino or just down the road in Albion or Little River. You can take drives up or down the coast each day, have a massage and hot tub soak at one of the little spas in Mendocino, and eat dinner at a different nice restaurant each night. The coast about a half hour north of Mendocino, near Wesport, is incredible. So are the views from some of the smaller roads going inland - although you do need to watch out for those logging trucks!

Suzie Oct 5th, 2004 08:07 AM

I've been to Yosemite many times during the fall and though the waterfalls are dry the park is stunning in fall color. Additionally the east sierra is beautiful between mid Oct to the beginning of nov. East sierra would be over Tioga Pass down to Mammoth Lakes and Bishop. Some really great scenery.

The Sacramento Bee did an article on Sunday about northern CA. Here's a link:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel...11853179c.html

Kal Oct 5th, 2004 08:36 AM

Suuuuz,
Couldn't recall if the "leaf peeping" article was in the SF Chron or The Insect...turns out both!
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...RG908S5G21.DTL

Dovima-"Oroville" is Turlock without all the glamour! :-d

Suzie Oct 5th, 2004 08:47 AM

Kal

....without the glamor and without the teeth! ;)

swimmer Oct 5th, 2004 10:23 AM

The foothills are a nice choice with several different options. The area you mentioned, around Murphy's (Sonora, Colombia, Angeles Camp) is beautiful in the fall, and you could go into Big Trees State Park if you like hiking and redwoods. Some nice B&B's and older hotels along the way.

Or, try Amador county, which has a very quiet, but growing, wine tasting region. You could combine the scenery with the tasting!

Sonoma area is great for wine tasting too, it just depends on the atmosphere you are wanting. I think Sonoma is less crowded than Napa, but more crowded than Amador. And a little more "chic" than Amador--a little more "rugged" feeling to the foothills/gold country.

dovima Oct 5th, 2004 10:51 AM

Ha Ha Kal! I thought Oroville's old section was mildly interesting, but as for the motel and restaurant I frequented in town, the less said the better!

J_Correa Oct 5th, 2004 12:12 PM

Laughing at the Oroville comments. My family is from that area so I am quite familiar with it. I definitely agree that a drive up 70 and down 49 is great. My family used to go up to the Downieville Sierra City area every summer for vacation and it is spectacular. Oroville should only be used as a pitstop though.

dovima Oct 5th, 2004 12:50 PM

JCorrea,
What is the name of that beautiful granite formation you look at while cruising down 49 towards Downieville? Are those the Minarets? It's absolutely startling to see them looming so big and close from the road.

J_Correa Oct 5th, 2004 01:01 PM

dovima - Are you talking about the Sierra Buttes? Those are absolutely spectacular. At the top is a fire lookout tower, which you can hike up to. It's a long hike, but definitely worth it if you've got the ability. The views are incredible.

Kal Oct 5th, 2004 01:13 PM

Dovie, The Depot?? One of THEE best steak sammies and salad bars I've ever had.=P~=P~=P~

Since Sacto is rapidly expanding, I wish I had bought property around Oroville about 10-15yrs ago. Especially around Lake Oroville. $)

Plus, great views of the Valley and Sierras. I used to take the back way to Paradise from O'ville and it was really nice in the Fall.

The Sutter Buttes are right in the middle of the Valley floor near Yuba Duba City and Sutter Ca. so it depends on which way you're cruising towards D'ville....from the east or from the west?

As for hiking up there, wear heavy, think boots that go up to your knees because there are a lot of rattlers up in them thar hills! :-O

dovima Oct 5th, 2004 01:24 PM

No, Kal, I don't think we are talking about the Sutter Buttes. These are deep within the forested area around Downieville. However, I would like to see the Sutter Buttes someday, although I know they are mostly on private land.

And yes, it was the Depot - the "best" in town.

J_Correa Oct 5th, 2004 03:18 PM

My family used to have a ranch at the base of the Sutter Buttes. I remember wandering around the Buttes when I was a kid, but the ranch was sold years ago when my uncle retired since there was no one in a position to take over running the ranch. My memories of the Buttes are of it being hot and dusty and my dad constantly warning me to watch out for rat'lers. ;)

A place I wish my family still owned was a cabin we used to have up at Lake Madrone. Is anybody familiar with that area? It's an old resort from the 1920s (I think) up behind Lake Oroville. The forest is so thick up there that it was the perfect place to escape to when the heat in the valley got to be unbearable. And the lake was shallow with a sandy bottom and a nice little beach - perfect for swimming and hanging out.

R Oct 5th, 2004 04:52 PM

At work now...
will post more later.
Just wanted to extend a great big thanks to all for your advice & feedback. So appreciate it!! :-)

R Oct 6th, 2004 03:24 PM

Thanks again for the info & terrific links! *Most* helpful.

I don't think we can getaway this weekend. Will probably need to be Oct. 15th. Wonder if this would be too late for Hope Valley, based on the charts posted here?

If anyone lives in that area, who could provide feedback on the colors there, would appreciate it.

Also, the chart in the Sac Bee, doesn't specifically focus in on Nevada City...Hwy 49 per se...or Feather River area recommended here.
Or, the Murphy's area!
Seems to focus further southward.

For these regions, I wonder if mid-October would be fine for color there...
or if Halloween would be better?

It helped to hear Sonoma's grapevines don't turn 'til November.
Wouldn't have had a clue.
Appreciate everyone's assistance here!! :-D

TripleSecDelay Oct 7th, 2004 02:55 PM

For "R" - you mentioned Yosemite...
Just returned from Yosemite and there hasn't yet been the color change that we had hoped for. Near Mirror Lake, a little. Along the Panorama Trail, a little. Can't speak to colors in Lee Vining, except that we met some people who said there were light snow flakes on Sept 29th.
My 2 cents, with no change back.

Nevada City, Auburn, Penn Valley are on our list for color change photography trip at the end of the month. For now, the Monarch Butterflies in "Santa Cruz" are our top draw for this wknd.

lostinplumas Oct 21st, 2004 03:31 PM

Quincy is glorious right now. I don't know if you have ever been here but there are some comfortable places to stay and several good restaurants. Check the visitors bureau site at plumascounty.org
Good luck finding a little peace and quite .

sumreknot Oct 23rd, 2004 12:54 PM

If you go to Sonoma, there is a wonderful Bed and Breakfast there called "Alexandra's". It is tucked away behind the town...all within walking distance to town and some fine wineries. We ended up staying there for 3 nights...took day trips from there. The owner makes his own award winning wine and will be happy to share a glass with you. It is CLEAN and cozy..and they are unobtrusive, yet helpful hosts.