Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where was your favorite kayak trip on Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Betty

Want to do the Hanalei River but are there better trips? Not ready for a trip on the open sea.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:24 AM
jen

My family and I went kayaking on the Wailua River through an outfitters tour. It was fabulous! We kayaked down the river and then hiked about a mile back through the rain forest (thats the atmosphere that it felt like) that led to this secluded GORGEOUS waterfall! THey supplied a sack lunch and we could swim in the water for about an hour; then we hiked back to the kayaks. We kayaked down the river some more and stopped at this little cove to go swimming and swing off cliffs (only one is high- but everything is safe). After that we kayaked back up the river. It was an adventure for a day! The guides were there to help you if you were stuck and give you information about the passing plants and flowers... I hope to do it again when I return to Kauai!

I have never been to Hanalei River- so I can not compare, I'm sorry! Either way- Kauai is a beautiful island!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Betty

Thanks Jen. Do you think you could have handled that hike/kayak without a guide. If you remember the name of the waterfall that would be helpful. What was the outfit name of the Kayak tour.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:10 AM
kal

Betty, If my bro& sis in law can do it on their own, anybody can!!!
They went with us last trip and did it without the guide and said it was a-ok.
They rented from someone who wasn't right at the river loction, tho. The Fun Lady rings a bell.
Since one of "The Kal's" doesn't know how to swim (hint: I grew up on the banks of the Ohio Riv, beaches of San Diego and quarries of NoCal), we shy away from kyaking!
Kal

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Suzie

Isn't the waterfall you kayak and then hike to the same one you can drive to but with a view that is from the side called Ho'olalaea Water Falls? Don't know if it's the same just know that we did the Fern Grotto boat trip and then drove up a road and saw a great water fall. Looked down and there were people hioking in to get a better view. The people who were kayaking when we were on the tour boat did not look especially skilled yet they were doing fine. The people coming back all said it was really fun even if they were a bit tired at the end. We had a few spare minutes before our anniv dinner so we took the last tour boat to the Fern Grotto and boarding the boat to come back we saw a wedding party arriving for a fern grotto wedding. Some kayakers were stopping to check out the Fern Grotto but that is kind of a side trip from the main trip up the river to the waterfall.

Kal sounds like it's time for some summer school at the RAC!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:51 AM
kal

Suuuuuuz, I think that one is Opaekka Falls. They are on the right as you go up the road and on the other side of the road you can look down and see the recreation of the Hawaiian village?

I think the falls you paddle/hike to are Wailua Falls up the SoFork of the Wailua Riv.

As for RAC, I just golfed in a charity golf outing yesterday in Lincoln with 3 RPD officers and we're pretty proud of the programs at the RAC and RPAL. Still a nice city, yah?
Raffling off an Indian M/C at RiverRock Sat. between noon-4 with all proceeds going to RPAL. See you and dh there?
Kal
ps...Oh, and don't get me started about our experience at Cafe Bernado's 2 Sat. nights ago!!!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Suzie

Kal how right you are about the water falls. I did think it started with an O but got all confused. We drove to it and stood at the rail. Watch your step it's a long drop with nothing to stop your tumbles. Gave me the heebie jeebies (sp?).

Oh I love CB's waiting area! ha! Always feel sorry for the people sitting at the tables close to the front door. "Are you using that extra chair? May I join you?" How'd you get a parking spot?

I do not have your fancy free life. I will be at dress rehearsal for dance recital and then wisking the dancer off to the next birthday party!

Nice city if they could leave a square of space undeveloped for awhile, maybe?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Shannon

We just returned from kauai, and we kayaked the Hanalei River. It was beautiful, very peaceful, and we just rented the kayak and went on our own. The tough part is that you fight the wind (and we picked a particularly windy day!) upstream, but then you have it helping you coming back. We rented from Kayak Kauai in Hanalei (right when you drive into town), and we were able to get in right there (rather than having to haul the kayak somewhere). I would highly recommend getting a dry bag, and we and our stuff was soaked!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Betty

Thanks everyone I guess I am wondering if we will be able to find the path to the waterfalls if we Kayak ourselves up the Wailua river?
Anybody know?

Anybody get out of there kayaks for a hike or are you risking theft, blah blah blah. Thanks everyone.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Stan

Not sure if its still there, but when we were on Kauai a few years back, we rented a 12ft alumunum boat with motor and jeep from a little place right next to Gaylords restaurant. Took it up the Wailua river in the AM. did the rope swing as mentioned, really neat,,hiked to the waterfall,, worth the hike. Almost sunk going to the fern grotto,(plug came out ) got to the fern grotto between tour boats , so there were only two other people there.VERY peaceful.
Then drove over to Nawiliwili harbor in the afternoon and went up the river that runs into it, the name escapes me, but its a very scenic trip up river. The tree that Harrison Ford jumped from at the start of the first Indianna Jones film is on this river.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Betty

Ok not to sound like a total wuz but Stan do you think to woman and child could handle the rental you are talking about. You really got around that day, just for thought, I kind of did want to Kayak

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Betty

That was two women and I don't meant to be a wus probably already am a wuz with this post

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Stan

Betty> ohh I think you could *S*,,but you could do the same trip in a kayak just as well..they rented them at the same place. not really that far on either river to the neat stuff. We just went with the other because I'm lazy *W*