Where to watch the Superbowl in San diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several 20some year olds (all over 21) will be in San Diego for a conference and want to go to a sports bar type place to eat/drink/watch the Superbowl. They will be staying at the Marriott Hotel and Marina on West Harbor Drive. Any suggestions for a place within walking distance or a short (read cheap) cab ride. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Thats right near the Gaslamp District. The Yard House would be a great place to watch it as it does have a lot of TVs and Beers on tap.

Titled Kilt would be great. http://www.tiltedkilt.com/california.../location.html

There are lots of choices right near there.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM

For a chain, the food isn't bad at the Yard House either (in fact, the burger is pretty darn good!)
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM

2 great suggestions that tch suggested.
Tivoli's downtown on island is one of the oldest bars in SD.
Waterfront in Little Italy is another dive beauty.
You could go the other way and hit Shelter Island and do the Brigantine with the great everyday happy hour and the $3 fish tacos are awesome..good crowd but not that many tvs.
It would be a 5-10 minute cab ride..maybe if you tip the shuttle driver from your hotel, he might take you and get his cell for him to come pick you up.

www.gaslamp.org
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Its ~a $20 cab ride from the Gaslamp to Shelter Island (did it from the Bay Club to the Yardhouse and vice versa). Couldn't remember the TVs at Brigantines but agree that there are not that many.

If the Chargers are in the Super Bowl, obviously plan on huge crowds. Chargers fans rabid but respectful. Im basing this on being in SD for a Patriots @ Chargers AFC Play-off game a few years ago. I was in a pats Jersey in the gaslamp and had no issues.

just noticed my typo in my first post, its the Tilted Kilt
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM

if the SD Chargers are in the Super Bowl, you can expect us laid back fans to be in the streets..drinking and dancing till dawn!
Tilted Kilt is a good fun place in the Gaslamp/East Village.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM

With the Pats out, I am definitely rooting for the Chargers. And with how work is, I may be able to finagle a trip out there for the Super Bowl...
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM

we would love to have you!
tourists like yourself that love our beautiful city and go on travel websites and rave about it..we love tourists like you!
Have fun..
Are you still staying at the Bay Club?
They are renovating the Bali Hai and should be done by the end of Jan..make sure you have one of their killer mai tais..they are adding a second floor outdoor patio facing downtown SD and its bayfront!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I will pass them on to the travellers (2 of whom are my son and nephew). I never even thought about the Chargers...that would be very cool if they were in the SB. The kids are college students or recent grads from Buffalo and Florida, attending a conference in their career field. The Buffalo kids have only experienced Superbowl disappointment with our hometown team losing 4 times!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They might also like Junior Seau's restaurant in Mission Valley. It would be a not-very-long cab ride.

Any Oggi's Pizza place.

If the Chargers are playing, everywhere will be jammed, so they should get there early. There won't be any 'laid back' Charger fans for that game!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Hadn't thought about Seau's. Great place for a game but it would be jammed for the Chargers.

I always stay at the Bay Club (great company rates - gives me more $ to spend at dinner, enjoy).

Sounds great about the Bali Hali.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:55 AM

you have no worries about it being crowded as the Chargers performed their annual post-season gag reflex

your hotel may have a nice lounge / TV for viewing and possibly the Hyatt next door too