Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to visit with mild temperature in June/July (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-visit-with-mild-temperature-in-june-july-302767/)

susan1 Apr 1st, 2003 09:53 AM

Where to visit with mild temperature in June/July

My husband and I would like to take our &quot;last&quot; trip together before we have a child. We live in Michigan, but would like to fly somewhere where the climate isn't too HOT. any suggestions within 2-3 hours flight time?<BR><BR>Thanks VERY much.<BR><BR>Oh, we are looking for somewhere very scenic, with some different things to explore.<BR><BR>Thanks. Open to ALL ideas.<BR><BR>Susan

Cicerone Apr 1st, 2003 09:56 AM

Maine, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Montreal, Alaska.

happytrails2u Apr 1st, 2003 10:10 AM

Hi Susan,<BR>As the mom of two teens, my advice for your &quot;last trip&quot; is go somewhere for scenic beauty and peace and quiet. When your children get past the toddler stage, they want ACTION on vacation, from theme parks, hands-on museums, etc. Going for a week to an isolated cabin just to enjoy nature was never a good plan in my experience! How about high in the Rockies? Never been (remember, I have teens!), but hear Idaho is breathtaking.

Traveling_Kate Apr 1st, 2003 10:10 AM

How about Seattle!

blpar Apr 1st, 2003 10:17 AM

Some places I've been with my husband that were scenic and not too hot:<BR>Steamboat Springs<BR>Jackson Hole<BR>Newport, RI<BR>Hanover, NH<BR>coastal Maine

gail Apr 1st, 2003 10:17 AM

Bar Harbor, Maine (not sure closest airport) and then after a few days take ferry to Nova Scotia (exchange rate with Canadian dollar is still good - everything is less expensive). Drive around Nova Scotia, end up in Halifax, stay in a nice hotel and fly home from there. You get the ocean of Maine, the scenic beauty of Nova Scotia and a small city.

Craig Apr 1st, 2003 10:54 AM

I like the above poster's suggestion of Maine and Nova Scotia--I hope you have two weeks to do it though. You would fly into Portland, ME. There are direct flights from Detroit (are you near Detroit?). Last year Maine was quite hot in early July. However, Nova Scotia is generally cooler. Alternatively, for a shorter trip, you could fly into Halifax, Nova Scotia--you may have a difficult time finding direct flights, though. See the Canada board for more info. Our trip to Nova Scotia was one of our best ever.

utahtea Apr 1st, 2003 04:34 PM

I don't know how long the flight times would be but my choices would be:<BR>Yellowstone National Park<BR>Banff &amp; Jasper in the Canadian Rockies Glacier National Park<BR><BR>Utahtea

utahtea Apr 1st, 2003 04:35 PM

That was suppose to be Banff &amp; Jasper or Glacier.<BR><BR>Utahtea

bethn Apr 1st, 2003 04:56 PM

The Colorado Rockies or the Oregon Coast.

PamSF Apr 1st, 2003 11:28 PM

Vancouver,BC with a side trip to Victoria..or simply Vancouver Island itself. The San Juans are very relaxing. Seattle can be a fun place to start and then wind your way to a variety of places from there..the San Juans, Whidbey Island..Vancouver. I am also a BIG fan of the coast of Maine. How pregnant will you be? There are some great places off the coast of Maine that require boat passage..Isle au Haut,Monhegan. It could be uncomfortable if you are close to term.<BR>But, if not..do it...I found Maine(and always do) to be one of the more beautiful places I have visited over the years.

susan1 Apr 7th, 2003 06:04 AM

Thank you SO much everyone for the great ideas!<BR><BR>Now that I have compiled a terrific list, we can review them and find out where we should go.<BR><BR>All of the ideas sound great...can't go wrong with any of them.<BR><BR>Thanks everyone VERY much!<BR><BR>Susan

susan1 Apr 9th, 2003 07:50 AM

just curious if there are any more thoughts on this?<BR><BR>Thanks

gc Apr 9th, 2003 08:03 AM

Susan,<BR>How pregnant are you going to be in June/July (I know, I know, you can't be 50% pregnant)? If you're 7 months or so, you may not want high altitudes, and the pilot has the power to keep you off the plane.<BR>Having said that, San Francisco has the coolest summer temperatures of any city in the lower 48. Consider it.

SaraLou Apr 9th, 2003 08:08 AM

I second the Banff and Jasper trip. Fly into Calgary the 2nd-3rd week in July and you can see the Calgary Stampede - it's a big rodeo but it is really a whole festival. Then rent a car and drive up to Banff/Lake Louise for a few days and then Jasper. Be sure to do the whitewater rafting - you just need to be a decent swimmer - there is a guide and they will teach you the rest. Between Lake Louise and Jasper there is a place where you can take a trip right onto a glacier. I needed a leather coat in July there. But just right next to/on the glacier was the air temp that cool. The other areas had wonderful temps and the most awesome scenery that can't be put into words!

susan1 Apr 9th, 2003 02:07 PM

I'll be only 4.5 months pregnant...so actually I will be 50% complete with my pregnancy : - )<BR><BR><BR>Thanks everyone!<BR><BR>I'm still doing the research. CA looks great. So do all the other places...Canada, Yellowstone, Maine, etc.<BR><BR>We are looking into CA right now since we have never gone there!<BR><BR>Actually we have only gone to Florida, Tennessee, West Virginia, Maryland, DC and of course Michigan and Ohio.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>Sue

ellen_griswold Apr 9th, 2003 02:20 PM

<BR>If i'm not too late to chime in here, too..?? :)<BR><BR>I agree with the Glacier, Banff, Jasper idea; we were there last summer and wore sweatshirts and jackets for that entire leg of the trip! Brrrrr....<BR><BR>Also, consider the Olympic Pennisula of Washington State. We also explored that area last summer and it was wonderful! Beautiful scenery, very laid back areas (Port Townsend is an amazing artsy town) and there are some cute beach towns on the coast. Also go whale watching around the San Juans...VERY relaxing and memorable! <BR><BR>San Diego / La Jolla is also a favorite area, with fairly moderate temps in the summer and lots to do.<BR><BR>Congrats on the pregnancy; being a mom is great! :)))<BR>

Wendy Apr 9th, 2003 02:36 PM

I'll throw in a vote for Seattle too. My friend in Detroit came out in July 4 years ago and just loved it! Thought it was so much different than Michigan. He has come out 3 times since!

mona Apr 9th, 2003 06:41 PM

Congrats on the pregnancy! My hubby and I took our &quot;last child-free&quot; trip to Aspen and Estes Park in Colorado a few years ago. It was wonderful. Vacations w/ kids are great, too, just more tiring and geared toward their interests. Enjoy your time together, wherever you choose.<BR>

Colette Apr 9th, 2003 06:54 PM

We have no children, and my husband refuses to vacation in a hot place in the summer. So here are my suggestions: coast of Maine, (esp. Bar Harbor and Boothbay Harbor) GREAT VACATION---did it last summer-----lots of great B&amp;B's---got ideas from this forum. San Francisco, Napa Valley and the north coast of CA----another GREAT trip, and not terribly hot. There's a wonderful little resort in Northwestern WI called the Canoe Bay Inn---very quiet, very beautiful, (&amp; expensive)----type in canoebay.com or canoebayinn.com (sorry for the vagueness here). Door County WI is always a nice little CapeCod-type vacation. Lots of great B&amp;Bs, beautiful scenery, and in the 20 yrs we've been visiting there, I don't think we've EVER had hot, muggy weather. Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard Mass. is also a another favorite. We've never done the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper trip----but we're thinking about it for this summer. Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park is a beautiful place-----lots of great hiking trails---take a side trip to Vail/Aspen, etc. (great hotel deals in the summer). Have fun planning!!