Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to view autumn foliage and keep busy with elderly parents along?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 10:25 AM
Carole

We (2 adults) are planning a trip in mid-October to enjoy the fall foliage. We live in Long Island, and are considering Vermont or upstate NY. Mother and father-in-law, in their 80's and 90's, are coming along. Any ideas of where to go? Father-in-law's interests are baseball and maritime. Mom loves a little sightseeing, shopping, swimming. Please help!

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 11:15 AM
p thompson

I highly recomend Stowe Vermont and you can visit their home page by going to www.gostowe.com

There are lovely accomodations, shopping and restaurants.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Jenna

Cooperstown, NY? I've never been there in the fall but it should have good foliage. And, if your dad-in-law likes baseball, you can't beat the Hall of Fame. I believe there's good shopping around there too. I'm no expert on Cooperstown, but just an idea.
Also, the Catskills in upstate NY are just beautiful in the fall. All I've ever done up there is visit my extensive extended family and go to Irish festivals, but I know there is a lot to do. Again, I'll have to defer to someone else.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Kay

My elderly mom really liked Mystic Seaport Connecticut with the living history talks and the shops. We went 2 years ago over Columbus Day weekend and caught the cranberry harvest against the backdrop of the foliage in southeastern Massachusetts. As we headed north the leaves were really past their peak in Vermont except in the very southern edge.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:53 PM
kam

Nearby Mystic is Essex with the famous Griswold Inn and some nice little shops. You can drive along the CT. River to see pretty foliage. How nice to have active elderlies!