Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to Vacation? Six women celebrating our 50th.... need warm and water. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-vacation-six-women-celebrating-our-50th-need-warm-and-water-958959/)

gidlaurie Dec 11th, 2012 01:56 AM

Where to Vacation? Six women celebrating our 50th.... need warm and water.

We are gathering in May 2013 for one week, to celebrate our 50th birthdays. Some of us have not been together in 20 years. So we want a place that is: quiet, pretty, pampering, warm, and near water. Any ideas? East Coast of the USA preferred, as it is the easiest for us all to get to. Fire away!

RoamsAround Dec 11th, 2012 03:08 AM

Your tag implies you are searching for a "warm water" area. If that's the car and you want to be on the "east coast" you really have to go as far south as you can. That means Florida or possibly Georgia. the one caveat is that in May, the water anywhere is not going to be all that warm.

You also wanted some place that's "easiest for us all to get to" but you didn't say where you are traveling from.

So, knowing only the few facts you've given I'd suggest you look at areas around Miami Beach. While that's a populated area there are some resorts that will give you the illusion of being secluded. you could also check out places in the Florida Keys - your group can still fly into Miami then it's a relatively short drive to some of the northern Keys.

If you want to risk having slightly "cooler" waters look at Amelia Island (near Jacksonville, Fla) or perhaps Sea Island Georgia.

spirobulldog Dec 11th, 2012 03:28 AM

Just all fly to the caribbean somewhere.

Dukey1 Dec 11th, 2012 05:35 AM

Quiet for a WEEK????

For a couple of days maybe.

Consider Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, also

garyt22 Dec 11th, 2012 01:30 PM

I second the vote for South Beach... amazing beach, spas, shopping, restaurants, and plenty of places that are "cougar friendly"... or just crash at the pool...

despite the image that South Beach is all Party, there are plenty of places for a quiet girls trip...

I would recommend a www.vrbo.com condo to accommodate your group over a resort hotel unless you have a bigger budget...

BlueSwimmer Dec 11th, 2012 04:53 PM

What about renting a beach house in Tybee Island, Georgia? Then you can spend a few days exploring Savannah (a short drive away) and also get your beach time in.

travelerfromtx Dec 12th, 2012 08:44 AM

I agree with spiribulldog. The Carribean is the place for this special celebration! And prices for accommodations in May in the Carribean will often be less.

travelerfromtx Dec 12th, 2012 08:52 AM

Oops. Misspelled Caribbean, wish we had an edit button.

I've enjoyed quiet visits, with some activity as well, to Grand Cayman, Turks and Caicos, and Puerto Rico.

cd Dec 12th, 2012 08:59 AM

South Beach or Key West would be lots of fun. Also, I agree with Puerto Rico.

keymom Dec 15th, 2012 04:17 AM

I'll throw Naples into the mix - Look at the Ritz

MJT Dec 15th, 2012 09:24 AM

Islamorada, Florida Keys has just what you are looking for!

MP07950 Dec 15th, 2012 06:42 PM

My recommendation is Siesta Key, Florida. Easy drive from Tampa (or even easier from Sarasota), plenty of condos to rent, beautiful beach and lots of fun restaurants in the area!

Gretchen Dec 16th, 2012 04:39 AM

Charleston and Isle of Palms. Or Sea Island or Kiawah.

mclaurie Dec 19th, 2012 11:08 AM

I think the bottom line to your question is there are a lot of places that would fit the bill of "quiet, pretty, pampering, warm, and near water" in May from the Caribbean to various parts of Florida from east coast to west coast (of Fla.) The next issue is budget and what kind of place you want. A condo of some sort would allow you all to share. Friends of mine have stayed at this place on Ana Maria Island and loved it but I think the largest units they have are 2 bedroom 2 bathroom.
http://www.tortugainn.com/index.html

I agree with garyt that looking on vrbo.com is a good idea unless you have your hearts set on staying at a hotel or spa. You may find using the trip planner on wunderground.com helpful to look at historic temperatures for the dates you're planning anywhere in the world. http://www.wunderground.com/travelplanner/index.asp

zztopz Jan 5th, 2013 06:51 PM

My suggestion is Sanibel Florida. Warm, beautiful, quiet, a great spa, delicious restaurants. It's known as the shelling capital of the world. You can take a day cruise with captivacruises.com I've done it several times. It's a beautiful day. You may be lucky to see pods of dolphins following the boat. Get a drink, sit back and relax with friends. I can also recommend Kenoyer Realty for a condo. We get the same one each year and love it.

EmilyPost Jan 6th, 2013 05:55 AM

Punta Cana has some nice discounted deals going for that time of year right now.

sanibella Jan 6th, 2013 05:08 PM

Seagrove Beach/Rosemary/Seaside in north Florida is lovely that time of year and is quiet and quaint. We usually stay at www.OneSeagrovePlace.com but I think the largest units are 2 BR / 2 BA. www.vrbo.com has many other options in the area available. The beach there is so, so pretty.

As mentioned above, Sanibel is another good option. (Or Captiva)

Also, Brasstown Valley or a cabin in the north Georgia Mountains might be nice. Although it is not ON the water, Brasstown Valley has a lake nearby, and on the property there is a spa as well as other activities and the accommodations are very nice. You could all fit in one cabin, I think, not sure.

keyzgirl Jan 14th, 2013 11:31 AM

Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada Florida, or Hawk's Cay ( both in the Florida Keys)

ekscrunchy Jan 15th, 2013 05:01 AM

I just returned from the Florida Keys and would agree with the suggestion above.

The hotel we chose, The Moorings on Islamorada, ranks right up there with the most idyllic hotels I've ever visited. They have cottages of various sizes, including a few with three bedrooms. They have a spa, a beautiful beach, and a gorgeous saltwater pool. They will give you new bikes and a barbecue set to use during your stay. You can walk to restaurants and bars. Key West is about 90 minutes away by car.

I've been fortunate enough to have stayed in a lot of great hotels all over the place and this one ranks right up there with the best.

donnawho Jan 15th, 2013 06:56 AM

Agree with ekscrunchy, the Moorings is totally unique with its luxury-rustic vibe and the best beach anywhere in the Keys. But it seems more like a hideout honeymoon retreat than someplace to yuk it up with gal pals. Hawk's Cay resort has more variety of amenities, as would Cheeca Lodge. Just a thought...