Where to travel with pregnant wife

Old Nov 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to travel with pregnant wife

This is kind of random but my wife will be 20 weeks pregnant and we are looking for a place to go. We usually like to dive, hike, eat and explore. We have been to places such as Fiji, Belize, Hawaii, NY, DC, and the Caribbean. Loved all of them but I am just kind of worried about how safe it would be to travel out of the US. We will be heading out in January and leaving from Sacramento. Anybody have any ideas for safe travels?
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 04:22 PM

Well that is usually a good time to travel - past morning sickness and not yet too large to be comfortable and looking for a bathroom every 30 minutes. Unless she has problems she should be fine if you don't go to the back of beyond, although she may get tied more easily and you should probably count on a slower pace or a place where she can rest in the midle o fthe day for an hour or two.

Not every woman has the same pregnancy though - but I would want to know where th closest good hospital is, and make sure the activity is not too challenging.

I would probably go for a resort in the carib or a large city where there are tons of things to see/do.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you live in CA, hawaii is a lot easier as far as your flights than the Caribbean.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 01:46 AM

Some doctors are opposed to flying at certain stages of pregnancy. Have you asked hers?
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 02:50 AM

I would not go anywhere that doesn't have medical facilities equal to the US--just in case of ANYthing to her or you, if you are doing active things. We were in Antiqua and had a terrible thing happen to one of the people at the meeting--the hospital was totally inadequate. I think up to that time, we had never really thought about that.
Other than that, she shouldn't be very limited. I don't think flying is a problem until much later, but it's always good to check.
Florida Keys?
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:23 AM

Naturally she will check with her OB - but unless there is a potential problem MDs generally allow flying through the 7th month. And the 5th month is usually a fairy time except for a tendency to tiredness - although of course every pregnancy is different.

I woudd never reco going someplace that doesn't have a tertiary medical center nearby - but any major hospital should be able to handle pregnancy issues unless something extremely unusual happens.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tucson would be nice.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:54 AM

I went to France when I was 5 months pregnant. I know someone else who went to Italy when she was 7 months pregnant.

That said, I wouldn't choose someplace where intestional issues are common (Mexico, Southeast Asia for example). I'd probably return to Hawaii - just go to an island you haven't been to before.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 03:13 AM

DIL flew when she was almost 7 months pregnant too, on a helicopter from our local hospital to a bigger one with an NICU. Two healthy pregnancies before that but developed sudden life threatening problem. Sorry, but I agree not to go anywhere that doesn't have a really good hospital. Hope she has a wonderful full-term pregnancy but until this happened to our DIL, you don't realize how frequently pregnancy complications do occur.

I would only go a short flight from home.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:01 AM

France would be wonderful but if following the current trend of pregnancy no nos, no to some of the great cheeses--and the wine!!
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM

I would stay in the US. For me, the risk-reward of leaving the country while pregnant isn't worth it.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 08:28 AM

How about Austin, Texas or New Orleans?