Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to store luggage while on Fjords cruise?

Aug 26th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

After we get off our HAL cruise ship in Seward, where do we store our luggage while we take the Fjords cruise? We are trying to decide how long to stay in Seward. We don't want to rent a car until we get to Anchorage, will take the train there. If we just do the Fjords cruise we will have luggage to deal with. IF we spend the night in Seward and go on the train at 6PM the next day, what do we do with the luggage while we see Exit Glacier and Sealife Center? How will we get to those places without a car? Are we better off booking a Fjords cruise and transfer to ANchorage through HAL? It is expensive but maybe they handle our luggage and transportation to the Fjords cruise and train.
Aug 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM

Have you asked the hotel if you can store it there? A lot of them will let you do that.
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't think of that, they indeed do store luggage.
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Our hotel at Seward the Edgewater, stored our luggage and even delivered it to our train. No problems at all. They were very efficient and helpful.
Aug 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Edgewater or Breeze Inn. Which location is better? Best breakfast? Best service? Airconditioning? Or is it needed? Helpful employees? Cleanliness? etc. Does Breeze Inn do a good job shuttling people? Just when I think I've picked a place, I read a bad review on it, seems like all have a mix of good and bad.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:16 AM

Your boat tour operator will also store your bags. IF you are leaving the SAME day, you can also check them at the Seward RR depot. But you will NOT have any access to them until Anchorage. They do have a shelf behind the desk for some general, non valuable stuff however, that you might need on the train.

I stay at a B&B that drops me off.

For Exit Glacier you will likely need a cab, there are sometimes shuttles?? Expect to pay $50++ for a round trip cab.

You will NOT be able to take any HAL "transportation" it you plan on any activities or stay in Seward. Their shuttles leave early morning day of cruise only.
Sep 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I had no idea the cab to Exit Glacier cost so much!!! If we didn't go see it, is there enough to do in the city to justify spending the night and taking the train at 6 the next day? We definitely are planning the Kenai Fjords cruise, Sea Life center. Is the cab ride to the dog sledding center expensive?
Sep 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Seavey's runs their own free shuttle to their attraction. http://www.ididaride.com/location.htm

The cab for Exit glacier is so costly because essentially, 4 one way trips are made, which you pay for.
Sep 5th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Have you phoned Windsong? [1-877-777-4079 or 907-224-7116] Their website says they will shuttle to local activities. Might really make it worth staying there if they do the Exit Glacier shuttle, they are closer to it anyway, and if they do shuttles to and from town, then it might be just what you're looking for. Good luck!
May 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM

(note: hi TnJ from DM) Curious what you found re breakfast, service, etc. at Breeze Inn & Edgewater. We booked Holiday Inn Express at Seward Harbor for $60 less than Edgewater. This cost difference would cover your taxi to Exit Glacier.

I'm posting this for others who may be traveling as early as Memorial Day. Internet sites for these 3 hotels little until June, but AAA.com showed availabilty AND the best rates.
May 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

We haven't taken our trip yet. Our cruise is next month, staying overnight at the BreezeInn in Seward after we disembark July1, so will let you know about service, breakfast,etc when we return. Hurricane season starts June 1, so here in New Orleans we start watching the tropics. Hopefully, this early in the season, we should be ok and not have to deal with any. Our Hawaii trip was postponed 2 years ago, due to Katrina hitting us a week before we were due to go. (We made the trip last September)
May 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM

The Breeze has an older section and a newer one. The newer is MUCH nicer. Try for that section.

I wouldn't let air-conditioning be a deal killer, the average June high in Seward is 59 with the average low is 46. Only 4 days in June have records high greater than 80. Up north in Fairbanks, you need AC, but not here.

May 31st, 2007, 12:04 PM

Exit Glacier Guides has a shuttle to Exit Glacier for $9.00 ea. and will store luggage for you. Ididaride will provide transportation from various locations.