COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stop for night on Northern California coast??

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

I need help figuring where to stay...I'm on my way to move to San Francisco and I'm in Coos Bay tonight (have to say I can't recommend it here!) Debating where else to stay and what to do in between, want to stay two more nights. Had planned Crescent City and Mendocino but now not sure they are far enough.

Should I just do one more night (planning to drive Highway 1 and see the redwoods)? What would be good places to stop and stay. All I want is safe, clean, wireless access so I can get work done, and must let my dog in too! Thanks!!
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Check out Sheep Dung Ranch in Philo. You will be just inland from the coast on 128. They "take" dogs.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 11:49 PM

Sorry-that's in Boonville. You will be about 2.5 hours from SF. There are many fabulous small wineries along that road as well as The Booneville Inn. Don't know about wi-fi though.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:12 AM

And if you do go to Boonville, have a beer at the most fabulous Anderson Valley Brewing Company and lunch at the Highpockety Ox!

Lots of great wineries in that area.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM

We tried to tell you to go to Crater Lake.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Check out Mendocino--the town and headlands are beautiful.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I know I know...I'm still bummed about Crater Lake but a lot of people argued that I wasn't doing the coast and it's something I always wanted to do. It's just too much of a detour with too much going on right now. I decided to just wait until I come back (yes I will be back!) I hope to either move back or at least come take a couple of weeks to travel around and see everything I missed. The coast has been beautiful and sunny so far. Since I'm alone now and taking an extra week off work I really need to get where I can stay with friends and family sooner! Will need all my pennies for living in SF! Thanks for the tips on Boonville, I'll look into it. I guess life is nothing if not an adventure right??