Notices

Where to stay with kids in Hawaii

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Stash

Where to stay with kids in Hawaii

We are planning a trip to Hawaii in the summer of ’03.

Looking for the best place to take a family of five, Mom, Dad and kids 13, 11 and 8.

Couple things we need is two bedrooms, a kitchen. The kids love the big pools. We would like easy access to a great beach.

We are not looking for nightlife, just a place to relax for a week and see some sights.

We are open to any island.

What would you recommend?

Thanks to all….

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Molly

Hi Stash,
Consider a condo. These can be had quite reasonably, especially for extended stays. You will find more options and lower rates On Oahu, the Big Island, and Maui. If your needs are for accommodations directly on the beach, the Big Island may be out, as access to beaches often requires a short drive.
My family stayed in a one bedroom condo with living area with pull-out sofa, kitchen, pool, ocean-view lanai on the Big Island seven years ago for $50 per night - worked out great. The beach was a 5-10 minute drive. Of course,you would probably require 2 bedrooms.
I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the islands. Have fun!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:45 AM
mileni

For the past 3 years, we have used a condo company called Creative Leisure. Wonderful folks to work with. All prices, all locations. Check out their website.

Aloha

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Mike

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower this past summer. While the pool is small, who needs a pool when you are just across the street from the beach? It was a great central location. We had two bedrooms plus a pull-out couch for our family of six (kids ranging from 2 to 16) with a kitchen.
Older kids had a great time taking surfing lessons on Waikiki. You're also only 15-30 minutes away from sites like Diamondhead and Haunema Bay. Lanikai Beach and Waimea Bay Beach were also very popular sites for my water rats on Oahu. Oahu sometimes gets a bum rap, but it really has some great beaches for kids.

If you end up on Maui,Kapalua, Kaanapali and Wailea are also great kid-friendly beaches

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:02 AM
SG

Hilton Waikaloa Village

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Sarah

I have taken kids twice to Hilton Waikoloa but never when it was at full capacity. Did this at Hilton Hawaiian Village in August and my experience my expectations of other hiltons during peak periods. They really don't care that you are comfortble and don't know how to operate at full capacity.

Was however at Kauai Hyatt Regency this past summer, hotel was at capacity. You would not have known it. Pool was great for a few days. After that we took a condo for two weeks. I find at most hotels I don't enjoy myself after 2 nights. I just don't like the lack of space, number of fellow lodgers, ect.

I think the ages of your brood are perfect for hiking, kayaking (young one might be a bit scared at Kayaking, but they get over it). Still I can't imagine having a chance to show kids a volcano on the Big Island and skipping it. We did that this past summer and the summer before and I am still chewing my finger nails over it. All of the islands are good for kids as long as you are a parent that enjoys outdoor activities and don't make it a driving/poise for the camera/swim vaction. More often than not this is what I hear people do in Hawaii.

A lot of fun to hike with a family!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Sarah

meant to say my experienced at HHV colored future expectations of Hiltons operating at full capacity.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Mary

We've done a lot of Hawaii travel with our kids and the island that I love best is Kauai. Great beaches, fairly affordable, nice hikes and beautiful sights. We've stayed in Poipu most trips. For value, great location, and an easy spot with kids, we usually rent a unit at Poipu Kai. We prefer the 2 bdrm units in the Manualoha section of the resort in part because of their layout and also because of their pool with it's great view of the ocean. Lots to do in the area: a one minute walk to Brenneke's Beach for boogie-boarding (which is pretty addictive even for a 40-year-old mom), a short walk to the big waves at Poipu Beach, great snorkling at Poipu Beach Park, and walking distance to the Hyatt with it's beautiful grounds (and for a kid treat, a splurge on a "day rate" at the hotel [1/2 price rooms for the day] that allows you to use all of the great pools at the resort.) Also good access to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park and a 45 minute drive to the spectacular North Shore.

We are spending Christmas on the Big Island which is also a beautiful spot but involves more car time because of it's size and the fact that it's beaches are long distances apart. Maui is also nice but more expensive than Kauai or the Big Island and much more crowded during the summer. (We were there in July and August this year and after years of annual Kauai trips, Maui felt very crowded.)

Bottom line is, the kids love the beach and the pools -and shaved ice with ice cream underneath. They'll love any spot in Hawaii. You get to choose the setting!

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Marsha

Our 5-year old son and 11-year old daughter loved Kauai. We do not care for condos, motels or resorts, so we stayed at Koloa Landing Cottages near Poipu. Although not on the beach, the Cottages have two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen and are within a few minutes' drive of several "family-friendly" beaches. My kids did not like Waikiki (too crowded and not very "kid-friendly") and were luke-warm about the Big Island.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:10 AM
e

It's hard to find a condo that has a BIG pool ala the bigger hotels, that being said, I'd opt for the Whaler or the Kaanapali Alii both right on Kaanapali beach(Maui). Kaanapali seems to be a location that our kids seem to like the best, it also helps that Lahaina and Cheeseburger in Paradise(their fav restaurant) is near. Good Luck !!