Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay with a family of six in Grand Canyon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Ryan

I have a family of six and we would like to take a trip to GC within the next two years in case I need to reserve in advance. We live in Canada. I would like the accommodations to be close by to hike through the Canyon. Ages of children 10,12,14,16. Is there horseback riding near anything I am suggesting. I have heard of Bright Angel Lodge but don't know if it would be large enough to accomodate our family. Even a lodge that has horseback riding and accessibility to the Canyon for day trips would be nice. Any help would be appreciated. Thank

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:56 AM
x

I would stay stay in the park proper(on the rim top...i think Thuderbird and Kachina have adjoining rooms(door in between)..also thunderbird does have some rooms with a couch type sleeper beside the 2 double beds in each room...the Bright Angel has cabins too...don`t know how many they sleep..(call amfac) know some cabins open up into te adjoining cabin...Bright Angel trail and restaurants are right there..there are a couple riding stables there(tusayan village)..the ride along the LOng Jim canyon/east rim...try www.grandcanyon information.com---and amfac.com--the canyon.com----the mule ride is great but there is a weight,age and height limit..also the one stable has a weight limit of 200lbs.-can`t remember which one ...call amfac the # is on the website...and do make reservation well in advance..also be aware of the altitude...all I wanted to do is lay down...spend 4 1/2 days in March....it`s hot in summer to and the bottom is even hotter...

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:05 PM
GOL

Do yourself a favor and ask the Park Service to send you their trip planner. It has all the basics you will need. [www.nps.gov\grca ] Ask for the paper copy.

You can and should reserve rooms and trail rides in advance. The trip planner and/or web site has information on how to call, etc.

The Grand Canyon has 2 rims; north and south. The south rim gets ~80% of the visitors, and is usually the one most talked about. The north rim also has a lodge and mule rides. Although they are ~10 miles apart, it can take hundreds of miles to go from one to the other.

Assumming you will drive from Canada, may I suggest that you visit the NOrth Rim instead of the South Rim. Extend your visit to some of the equally-outstanding parks in Southern Utah: Bryce Canyon and Zion to name two. Depending on where you are in Canada, you can also go through Yellowstone Nat. Park...

The GC is a truly unique place. However, it can get 'old' fast; I quote this NPS stat often: The average GC visitor spends <30 minutes actually looking at the canyon (and spends less than 24 hours in the park itself).

I don't want to make it sound like the GC isn't worth a visit. It is.. But if you go to the NOrth rim you will be so close to some other great parks in S. Utah.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:09 PM
E.

If you choose the South Rim, I would definitely suggest Bright Angel. The cabins are sweet. They might be a bit cramped for 6, but the location would be worth it--you'd be literally a few steps away from the rim for moongazing and sunrise watching. Unbeatable. Also steps away from food, shops, hiking. And some of the cabins are bigger than others--let the reservationist help you choose. Some also have kitchenette.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Sharon

We stayed in Bright Angel cabins which are right on the south rim. They were great and very reasonable. ($70/night). We had two adjoining cabins. If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, you'll love it. It is truly an amazing place. Try to do some hiking in the canyon - it's strenuous but worth it.