Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay, what top ten things we should do on a very short trip-help!

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Going to Boston in early Spring and wanted to ask what top ten things we must see or do. We have never been there before and are there for 3 days. Have always wanted to go to Boston so we are very excited. Wish we time to check out the cape but do not think we will have time. Also we wanting to stay in a great location and have no idea where that is. I am assuming downtown. We are choosing between the Westin or Sheraton downtown. Thanks so much for your help!!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 02:40 AM

The Westin Copley Plaza is a great location. Here's my top 10:
1. JFK Library
2. Duck tour
3. Italian restaurant in the North End
4. Theater, get reduced priced tickets on day of performance. Blue Man Group is popular with most, esp younger people but I doubt if you can get reduced priced tickets.
5. Museum of Science Imax Movie
6. Walk around Cambridge
7. Walk around Chinatown
8. See Bunker Hill, the USS Constitution, Old Burial Ground
9. Walk around Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market.
10. Ride the subway

Years and years ago we used to go to the top of the Prudential (I think) and there was a diorama of Boston showing how it grew, areas of waterfront that were filled in. I thought that was fascinating but I'm not sure that it's still there or even if you can go to the top of the Prudential anymore.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:33 AM

Yes you can, D! And I think The Pru View a great addition to your excellent list.

I also might swap out numbers 5,7,10 to add
(1.) A stroll through the public gardens and a ride on the Swan Boat, if it's open. (This is not a "thrill ride," Momo, just a little slice of history!)
(2.) The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
(3.) A Red Sox game! Or at least a stroll through Yawkee Way (sp?) pre-game.

You could also supplement your North End dinner with the addition of the North End Culinery Tour, if this complements your interests and time allows.

My Number One tourist activity in Boston is the Duck Tour. Which, by the way, departs/returns by the Pru, so you could take in your "Top of the Hub" viewing very easily.

Oh - I also think staying around Copley is a great location. Staying near FH/QM would be good, too, but not quite as central.

Best wishes, Momo. Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:12 AM

The observation deck at the top of thee Prudential Tower is indeed still open, and would make a great destination for your first clar day, to give you some overview and perspective. Unfortunately, that neat historical diorama was in the observation deck at the top of the Hancock Tower, which is no longer open.

Momof5, you can learn a lot by reading past posts here, so that you have a better idea of things to do, appropriate hotels, and the layout of the city.

The above suggestions are very good, though you have given us no idea of your interests. If you are very early in the spring (i.e., before mid-April), the Duck Tours, swan boats, and Red Sox will not be available.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Well we have never been to Boston so as far as interests well we donot have any. Just always heard from friends it is a great city. So we put it on our must do for a long weekend list. We live in Utah so do not get back East much. I do want to take in a lot of the history of the area and our country. Thanks again!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

I've stayed at both the Westin and the Sheraton and prefer the Westin for it's location and the better rooms/beds.

If it's not too chilly try a walk along the Charles. Great river views from the top of the Prudential and from the Science museum.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:13 AM

My Top Ten

1. Swan Boats if available.
2. Shopping on Newbury St.
3. Museum of Fine Arts
4. Science Museum w/Imax movie or Children's Museum depending on ages of kids if any.
5. Tour Fenway Park or go to a game if possible.
6. Tea at the Ritz - especially nice mother/daughter thing to do
7. Walk around Havard Square
8. JFK Library
9. Freedom Trail - especially the USS Constitution
10. North End!

You won't be able to do all of these things in 3 days so if you tell us the ages of the members of your group we can help tailor the itinerary. Might have to add in the Children's Museum if you have young kids - skipping Science Museum. If mixed ages of kids then do Science Museum. If no kids skip both.

If early Spring means mid-March, then you might want to take advantage of the great Irish music that will be available in Boston then. The pubs will be hopping, the Chieftains will be playing at Symphony Hall, Saunders Theater at Havard usually has an interesting group such as Solas, Natalie MacMaster may be playing (not Irish but still a tremendous Cape Breton fiddler who plays some Irish but also Scottish etc).
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

We were in Boston in September for our first time and we were also there 3 days. WE stayed acros the street form Faneuil HAll and Quincy Marketplace. Excellent location and great room. Got it on Priceline for 150 a night.
I recommend going to the top of the PRudential building first to get your bearings and to see where everything is. WE took in a Red Sox game, walked the Freedom Trail, took a free walking tour from the NAtional PArk Service, strolled therough Faneuil Hall, etc, Walked around Harvard, ate in the North End and you must also grab dessert at one of the pastry shops in the North End.