Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay to see Mets & Yankees game--New Jersey ok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm a new poster here and have never been back east and I am very anxious about driving in the New York City area. There are 5 of us in our family so finding hotels is tough. We are planning on driving up from Philadelphia (after seeing a Phillies game) to New York to see Yankees and Mets games. I read the posts here about how it's best to stay in Manhattan and take the subway to games but for 5 people, it is so expensive getting a hotel in Manhattan (the Embassy Suites will take all 5 of us, but then I'm scared about getting into the city with our luggage (should we go on Amtrak?). An idea we are thinking about is renting a car and driving from Philadelphia to North Bergen, New Jersey, and staying at the Comfort Suites Hotel which would take all 5 of us in 1 room. Then we thought about taking the Yankee Clipper from Weehawken to the Yankees game. What do you think of this plan? What we haven't figured out is how to get to the Mets game from North Bergen. Or maybe we should drive to a hotel near Shea stadium the night before the Mets game? Any ideas that could help us would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:53 AM
GoTravel

The easiest thing to do would be to take Amtrak from Philly to Penn Station and stay in Manhattan if your family has never been to NYC.

Amtrak will take you right to the middle of Midtown to Penn Station. From there, just get a couple of cabs to your hotel. It is really easy.

There are some great budget hotels such as the The Applecore Group (http://www.applecorehotels.com/apple-core-hotels/ ) or The Travel Inn.

It isn't scary or difficult and I'd be more apprehensive about driving in the tri-state area than getting my luggage into Manhattan.

I think you are over thinking this.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I basically agree with GoT about staying in NYC. Staying in NJ is not very convenient for a Mets game and if you intend on doing any sightseeing at all, it's not ideal. If you had to stay outside the city for budget reasons, it would actually be better to stay in Queens near Shea b/c it's not that far to Yankee Stadium from there. Look at this subway map. You'll see Shea near La Guardia on the #7 line (purple). Yankee Stadium is on the B,D or 4 lines (green and orange)
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

It would help to advise you more specifically on transportation and which hotel to use if I knew the ages of the 3 kids, your hotel budget/night and whether you were going to have a car in Philly anyway.

While it is a challenge to find a room for 5 in Manhattan, there are many hotels that won't accept a booking for 5 online, but would if you phone and the kids are all young or the 5th is a toddler.

The Best Western Hospitality might be one good option. It's near the 4 & not far from the 7, has suites (I think even 2 bedroom suites) and I think they include breakfast. Good reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM
J62

Yankee stadium is pretty easy to get to from N. Jersey - take the GW Bridge. If you must stay outside the city then Tarrytown, just across the Tappan Zee Bridge is also very convenient and you don't have to fight the GWB traffic.

It's about 20min from Tarrytown to Yankee Stadium parking lots as you'll be going most of the way counter to traffic flow.

Shea is another story. Getting to Shea from NJ is a major PITA. Closest hotels are the LaGuardia area hotels - 5min drive from Shea, but not a wide selection.

Subway from Manhattan works for both locations. Getting into and around the city with luggage isn't a problem. Two taxis can fit all your stuff (legal limit is 4 persons per taxi anyway).
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input so far! In answer to your questions, my kids are mostly older: 15, 13, and 5, so we need at least 2 double beds in a room, and we usually travel with an aerobed. We haven't decided for sure about whether we're getting a car in Philly; we're actually starting in DC for a Nationals game and travelling north to catch all these various games. Would driving into Queens be overly stressful if we took the suggestion of staying there? With 2 adults, we would have 1 to navigate and 1 to drive. By the way, I shudder at paying $270 a night for a hotel which seems to be the best I can find in Manhattan (compared to just over $100 in New Jersey). Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:50 AM

"Would driving into Queens be overly stressful if we took the suggestion of staying there?"

I find driving in Queens stressful b/c I'm not as familiar with it. I have no problem driving in NYC b/c the grid system is almost foolproof. In Queens, one minute you're in an ok area and the next, you're not. But just to drive there, ok. Bigger issue, I would NOT drive from Queens to Yankee stadium and worry about parking. If you're thinking of driving from Philly and want to stay in Queens, fine. But use the subway to get to/from Manhattan and Yankee stadium.

Without the dates, it's hard to offer suggestions. We also never mentioned the Travel Inn which is a budget hotel in Manhattan with FREE parking and reasonably well located for all your activities. I think they'd allow 5 to the room since the youngest is 5. Many regular rooms will have 2 queen beds.

Look at Radio City Apartments. They have a 2 bedroom apt. that could work if it's available.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM
GoTravel

I would skip the car altogether and take the train from DC to Philly then Philly to Manhattan.

Honestly Cathy, it is simply easier to stay in Manhattan than to stay outside and try and navigate your way around.

There is a reason Manhattan is much more expensive. It's pretty much hassle free.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'd suggest driving the whole trip, and stay in Manhattan at the Travel Inn which will take all 5 of you. Also staying there the parking is FREE, and they have an outdoor pool on the roof for a bit of relaxation.

The hotel is right off the West Side Highway, so take the Lincoln Tunnel which comes out on 42nd St and turn right to 9th Ave to the Travel Inn.

The rates are very good there, and the subway is very close. Take the A train to 145th St and change to the D train to Yankee Stadium. At Times Square take the 7 train to Shea Stadium.

DON"T stay in New Jersey you will tripple your travel time and if you are going to night games you may not be able to get back since some buses and trains are not 24 hours, from Manhattan to NJ.

I live right off the A train, and take the train all the time, especially after a game there will be LOTS of people on the subway so you will be fine.

You also might try www.hotels.com for more suggestions on hotels in the city.

Hope this helps, and have a great time while you are here.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM

The best idea is to stay in Manhattan and take the subway to the games. To drive to either game from anywhere is very time-consuming - not just because of where you're coming from - but beacuse of dealing with perhaps 20,000 cars all parking at the same time - and then all leaving at the same time.

(If you take the subway back to Manhattan you will be at your hotel while people are still trying to get out of the parking lots.)

The Embassy Suites is fine, getting luggage onto Amtrak is easy and you can just take the subway - or 2 cabs if you want - to get from Penn Sta to the hotel.

Separately - don;t you want to do anything but the games? If you are seeing anything else in NYC then a hotel in the City is much better than trekking in and out (5 train fares or driving into the city and parking are not cheap).

Separately, do you have your tickets yet? You are aware that the Yankees and Mets are never in town at the same time unles they're playing each other (and those tickets were sold out about 5 minutes after they went on sale)? So - are you on the cusp - the last game for one team and the first for the other - or are you staying in the area for a couple of extra days? Yet another reason to stay in the city.

Finally - the hotels in Queens are nothing to write home about - certainly nothing in the class of an Embassy Suites - they're basically for people who get stuck at the airport overnight - or have a 6am flight.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Just a thought about a cheap way to get from Philadelphia to Manhattan: my daughter takes something she refers to as the Chinatown bus all the time for about $20 that takes her to the Village. More knowledgeable people than me could maybe say where this leaves from in Philadelphia.

I wouldn't attempt to drive, particularly not to and from a baseball park, with all those hassles. Getting to Yankee Stadium on the subway is very easy and fun, haven't tried Shea Stadium as yet.

You might think about apartments. We stayed in Greenwich Village for about $160 a night in a studio that had a queen bed and a pullout couch. Not fancy by any means, but certainly acceptable. I think we booked off the nyhabitat.com website and it was the Bleeker Street studio. I personally prefer staying in the Village to midtown.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Driving to a Yankee game under the best of circumstances can be a bit stressful even when you know exactly where you are going. I would not stay in New Jersey and drive to a Yankee game. There will undoubtedly be lots of traffic. If you are in New Jersey and go to a Mets game, you will need to travel over two bridges. If at all possible, stay in Manhattan and take the train. Go to tripadvisor.com to check out travelers' opinions about NYC hotels. Good Luck!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Just wanted to mention a few more things. As you try to make transportation decisions, Amtrak can look expensive but there are usually promotions or specials. If you're trying to save money, it's not necessary to take the faster Acela train which charges a premium. Read this http://www.frommers.com/articles/2613.html

The Chinatown bus mentioned by Marilynl is indeed used by many people. There are several different cos. and some are better than others. Greyhound has also been dropping rates to compete with the Chinatown buses, so that's another possibility.
http://www.staticleap.com/chinatownbus/

But if you decide that driving makes most sense for your family, do it. Just keep in mind the drive is pretty boring. At least riding on the train you can walk around.

If you want to pursue staying in Queens, the Ramada Plaza La Guardia appears to be the best located. It's across from Shea Stadium and very close to the #7 train to get into the city. Good reviews on tripadvisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html