Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to stay - san diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-san-diego-230380/)

sharon Jun 12th, 2002 05:53 AM

where to stay - san diego

Sorry if this seems repetitious but I'm hoping for some answers to the following: <BR>We're planning our first visit to SD in July or Aug. Can't decide where to stay. We want to hit the Zoo, beaches, and quaint shops/areas of town. We're very casual. Would it be best to stay on the beach and drive into town, or stay in hotel circle or old town to be more centrally located? We do plan to rent a car. Not looking for luxury, just a clean, conveniently located hotel. Or a great beach location that would make driving worthwhile. We are considering the Ramada or the Vacation Inn in Old Town, or a Days Inn on Hotel cirlce. Has anyone ever been to either of these hotels? Would we be crazy not to locate ourselves on the beach? As you can see we're very confused - any help would be greatly appreciated!

x Jun 12th, 2002 09:52 AM

hotel circle has some of the lower priced hotels in the area. it has a freeway running right along side of it. while there are restaurants around, it is not an area that you'd want to go for a nice walk in the evening. too loud and full of exhaust. location is great for DRIVING anywhere. the ones in old town may be nicer for walking around in the evening. however, once again there is a freeway close by so ask for a room that faces away from that. i think the trolly tracks go close too. if i had to choose - i'd choose old town.<BR>however, obviously the beach area is the 1st choice but you are looking at A LOT more money. driving anywhere in san diego isn't too far so i wouldn't discount a place because of driving distance. they may be mostly booked for the summer already. a few to try to see if you can affort would be the catamaran, pacific terrace, surfer motor lodge (very old and "divier" then the other two but right on the beach and the cheapest i could find right on the beach).

travellyn Jun 12th, 2002 12:19 PM

I stayed at the Balboa Park Inn in March and enjoyed it. A nicely decorated basic room was $89 with breakfast. A large one bedroom apartment was about $160/night. There were good reataurants less than a mile away, and it was a nice place to walk.

Leslie Jun 12th, 2002 01:37 PM

The places to stay in Hotel Circle are fine and reasonably priced and everything is very close in San Diego so you won't find yourself drving far no matter where you stay. However, I find the Hotel Circle area to be very boring as it just feels like you are in a valley. It's a shame to go to San Diego and not stay near some body of water, if not right on the beach. Mission Bay or Shelter Island are more pleasant and Old Town is alot of fun. <BR><BR>If you have children then the Beach Cottages in Pacific Beach are nice. The area is kind of a funky 'surfer' California area. Also, the Ocean Park Inn is reasonably priced. Neither of these are low-end motels.<BR><BR>On Shelter Island there is Humphrey's Half Moon Inn. It is very spread out and family friendly. They often have good deals for kids. Also, the Dana Inn at the Mission Bay Marina or the Holiday Inn Bayside, will put you where you can see the bay and the boats but are probably less expensive than the others I've mentioned.

Leslie Jun 12th, 2002 01:42 PM

I meant to add that I've stayed at the Vacation Inn in old town and its very nice as is the Ramada Inn which is, I believe, a little closer to the actual old town area. This is a fun place to walk around for part of a day and to have a Mexican dinner in one of the restaurants with mariachis playing. Personally, I'd pass on the Days Inn at Hotel Circle.<BR><BR>Also, Seaport Village and the Embarcadero are nice strolling areas, as is Coronado Island, though the hotels are these areas are expensive.

sharon Jun 16th, 2002 08:18 PM

Thanks to all of you for your input! It helped greatly.

teresa Jun 17th, 2002 12:37 AM

I reccomend Best Western Seven Seas on<BR>hotel circle. It is on the east side of<BR>the freeway not such a loud crowded area. The pool and spa were perfect.<BR>Price was excellent. Service was great.<BR>They have a shuttle that will take you<BR>to the zoo,old town, seaport village or<BR>sea world. We enjoyed eating at a nice<BR>mexican place that was just up the street. It was family owned and operated the prices were good, service<BR>great and food and margaritas were excellent. Next to the mexican place was a good eatery for breakfast, it was<BR>actually in the same building. We needed to go shopping to buy my daughter<BR>a swimsuit and there was even a nice mall within about 3 miles. I would go<BR>there again because it had everything we<BR>needed for a great price and was comfortable and quiet.