Where to stay on oahu and plan of attack

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay on oahu and plan of attack

Hello all! This is my first post of Fodors and I hope to have many more! We will be on the NCL cruise May 9-16 and then have the 16th-20 in Oahu.
My main question is where to stay on Oahu. Since we only have three full days should we stay in Waikiki? If so what hotels do you recommend. We really need three beds and want to stay under $350 a night. OR should we stay outside of waikiki on the north shore or similar since we will have a rental car?

Our Plan of Attack:
Saturday: Get off cruise, go pick up car at the airport, go to hotel/condo/ Dole plantation? Explore Waikiki?
Sunday: North Shore & Polynesian Culture center
Monday: Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl
Tuesday: Diamond head hike early. Then what?
We want to see as much as possible and like historical sites, nature etc. We really like it all!
Thanks for the input
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 04:29 PM

FYI - the Polynesaian Cultural Center is a Mormon run business - in case you didn't know or that would matter to you.

I would add the Palace to your list if you can fit it in. It was the last American Queen's home and jail cell when the US over thru the government.

You might enjoy reading "Lost Kingdom - Hawaii's Last Queen, the Sugar Kings, and America's First Imperial Adventure" by Julia Flynn Siler. It is very well researched and an easy read with over 100 pages of bibliography.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 04:32 PM

The Aston Waikiki Sunset is a couple of blocks from the beach and is showing a deluxe room with ocean view for $229 a night. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and the configuration is a bedroom with whatever bed(s) you want as well as a pullout sofa bed in the living/dining/kitchen area. My husband and I slept on the sofa bed, and it was the most comfortable one I've ever slept on. The kitchenette has a stove, fridge, and dishwasher and a few cooking and eating implements. We got a bedroom with twin beds that my sister and brother used, and we all liked it a lot.

There are other room arrangements, too. You can have a mountain view, a Diamond Head view, a suite, two bedrooms, etc. The hotel is located toward the Kapiolani Park end of Waikiki, but everything is within walking distance.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 05:45 PM

Yes, stay Waikiki. Rent a car for at least one day to circle the island. Stop for a swim at Turtle Bay. (Go counterclockwise to miss the awful rush hours in Honolulu. Beautiful view from the Pali as you return.)

The PCC is an entertaining afternoon. I think they provide transportation out of Waikiki if you don't want to do it the day you drive around the island. I hope you will have attended one of the two best luau in Hawaii while you are on Maui: Old Lahaina Luau or Feast At Lele. The one at PCC is more of a stage show -- and 'dry' too.

I wouldn't climb Diamondhead. Hot. IMO the view OF it is enough. Iolani Palace. Bishop Museum. The whole 'scene' that is Waikiki. Tea at the Royal Hawaiian or the Moana? Drinks and music at House Without A Key?
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 06:12 PM

Not too sure on where you should stay so I'll leave that up to others to comment on. We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki. Yes it has been there for quite some time but still a beautiful property. Not sure if that would be in your budget but might be worth looking into. I think we're going to try Disney's Aulani next time. It looks incredible.

As far as what to do. Pearl Harbor is a must, soak it all in. The USS Missouri is there as well, go on it and look around...very cool. Also, if you have the energy, I would climb Diamond Head. The view from the top is amazing and worth it. Go to Hanauma Bay. It is the best snorkeling I've ever experienced and the scenery is great too. Maybe stop by Lanikai Beach for another breathtaking view. Drive, drive, and drive some more SEE the island. Once you get out of Honolulu, you see breathtaking views around every turn. Go to the North Shore and make sure you see a sunset. Stop by Matzumoto's Shaved Ice and enjoy it...best shaved ice...get a T-shirt too

Hawaii is a true paradise. Hope you have a safe and wonderful vacation.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 09:36 PM

"Once you get out of Honolulu, you see breathtaking views around every turn. Go to the North Shore and make sure you see a sunset. Stop by Matzumoto's Shaved Ice and enjoy it...best shaved ice...get a T-shirt too "

Well said!!! That would apply to so many places on the islands, including Hilo, Kona, Kaanapalii and Lahaina and Kapa'a and so on and so on and so on
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 07:35 AM

I personally like the Hyatt Place Waikiki. I think they do have a 2 double bed plus sofa bed configuration but it's not super expensive so I think you can get 2 rooms here for the amt you want to spend. They include breakfast in their rate but parking is extra. Parking in Waikiki is very expensive FYI so we always rent a condo that comes with a spot, however for just a few days, not sure how many condos you can find that will make it cost effective.

I also liked the Outrigger Luana and I think they do have 1-2 bedroom configurations. It's on the opposite end of Waikiki than the Hyatt Place, but I think either end is fine. Being in the middle you'll probably have to deal with more people and crowds.

My family and I have done the drive around east and north Oahu in a day starting from the morning. We went on a mini "foodie" tour ourselves so most of our stops involved food. Here's what we did: Around the Kapahulu Ave area: Leonards Bakery for a few malasadas, Ono Seafood for poke. We then drove to Pali Lookout for the nice view and pictures, drove to Chinaman's hat for some pictures, drove up the Kamehameha Highway towards the North Shore. If you can, try stopping by Tropical Farms Mac Nuts if you like to sample different mac nuts and coffees, and the Fine Ass Chocolates store for some yummy chocolates. We stopped at a shrimp truck (Romy's) for some delicious garlic and steamed shrimp. The wait is long during prime lunch hours but the quality is great.
After we got to the North Shore area we visited Waimea Beach Park and Sunset Beach, as well as the spot on the north shore called Turtle beach to see the giant honu sea turtles basking in the sun. (If you still have room in your stomach go to Ted's bakery and try a slice of the chocolate haupia pie). Then we drove and got some Matsumoto's shave ice in Haleiwa. Walked around Haleiwa, then back in the car and drove down to the Dole Plantation. Yes, we also had dole whip and pineapple with li hing mui powder. We then drove back down into Honolulu and stopped at the Ala Moana Center. The Shirokiya department store is our favorite for some Japanese street food and bentos. These would be nice as beach take out food. Depending on how long it takes for you to do everything you may have some time at the beach in Waikiki! OR you can just spend time at the beaches as you're driving around.

You can read about this trip around the island here: http://sulynnchen.com/travelblog/?p=194

Some other notes:

We didn't do PCC since we wanted to spend more time driving around and taking in the sights. PCC can take up a good chunk of your day.

If you like snorkeling, a trip to Hanauma Bay is great.

My favorite beaches are Lanikai and Kailua beaches in the eastern town of Kailua. White sand, blue water, gorgeous!

Our favorite shave ice place is actually not Matsumoto's or Waiola's or Shimazu's (which are places you constantly read about in guidebooks and websites). It's actually Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha. It's in Hawaii Kai and it's just a brilliant little store of homemade syrups and a terrific natural shave ice taste.

If you come across a Snow Factory, you should also try a "snow" dessert there. Different from shave ice but just as good.

For a high-end resort experience, I like the Trump Waikiki because the rooms have kitchens.

Enjoy your cruise and trip!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:03 AM

Wow, Tifa that's quite a drive (sounds fabulous). We've been to a lot of the same places, but not all in one day! We actually started out one day kayaking in Kailua/Lanikai, then headed across the island to Haleiwa for lunch and a shave ice. Another trip, we went to Pearl Harbor in the morning, and then headed up to the north shore beaches (that was winter, so we watched the surfers - no swimming).

The road across the island from Kailua to the north shore (I think its the H3) is spectacularly beautiful.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, I would stay right in Waikiki. Sorry can't help with specific hotels as that's way above my price range.

I've never been (and never plan to go to) PCC, just not my idea of a cultural experience.

You have plenty already on your list to fill you very short stay on Oahu!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 10:06 AM

sf7307 - It was a long day but it was really fun! When I travel with my family we are definitely go go go. When I go with just the husband, we take it a little easier (still eat a lot though) and spend a little more time at the beach.

And agree about the H-3, it's just beautiful.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great idea!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ilima Hotel has a 2-bedroom suite @$275 and parking is included. It's about 3.5 blocks walk to the beach and is just outside the busiest blocks of Waikiki. Older hotel but very clean and well-reviewed.