Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay on Jersey Shore with kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-on-jersey-shore-with-kids-234329/)

donna Jun 25th, 2002 11:47 AM

Where to stay on Jersey Shore with kids?

We are planning to take the kids, perhaps to Cape May this summer just for a few days. I would like to know where a clean, resort-type place would be? thanks!

Postal Jun 25th, 2002 03:26 PM

If you want boardwalk with games and rides, I suggest Wildwood Crest.

suzanne Jun 25th, 2002 03:31 PM

Wildwood is a ton of fun! I was just there - it's very clean, and there's lots of neat stuff to see and do on the boardwalk - rides, games, trampolines... Don't know if I'd consider it "resort-like" though. Depends on your definition of "resort" (I think of a resort as a huge old hotel with beautiful grounds...haven't gone to any on the shore).

Sarah Jun 25th, 2002 03:35 PM

I would suggest Ocean City, New Jersey. There is a boardwalk but you can stay in the 50's away from it. <BR><BR>I don't know any resort types places right along the coast. Inland in seaview N.J you have the Marriott Seaview Resort. This is a golf resort on beautiful grounds but inland about 10-15 miles.

kam Jun 25th, 2002 04:14 PM

Sarah, when I was a kid, my grandparents had an old house in Ocean City. There was a lovely old hotel right on the boardwalk. Can't remember the name of the hotel and am curious whether it's still there.(this was back in the 60s) I'd love to return sometime if Ocean City is still a nice place to go. Thanks.

Sarah Jul 19th, 2002 03:09 PM

Kam are you thinking of the Fluanders?<BR>If so it is still there. You could probably go to their website. I don't know that they have one but I think they do.<BR><BR>The story of the Flaunders is that it was hotel then I thought it went at a convelesent home for a while or maybe there were just planes it is back to being a hotel again.<BR><BR>I took my mother to the Flaunders last year there are condos there now that you can rent. Thing is Kam in the 60's the boards were different. My mother recalls everyone being in their Sunday best on any given Sunday. Now it is a lot of kind of junky little shops, people in cut offs and bathing suits.<BR><BR>George's Macaroons, Johnson's Carmel popcorn are among the old concessions but for the most part it's Philly Cheese Steaks, Canoli's, Italian Ices and what ever kind of junk food you want.<BR><BR>Also in the 60's, I went as a kid so I remember is Port-O-Call. But I went up to check out the rooms a year ago it was pretty gross despite renovations.. AMAIZING VIEWS but very dilapidated.<BR><BR>Hawaii is still a better bet Kam<BR>

Postal Jul 19th, 2002 03:20 PM

There was a lovely resort condo type property just south of us on the beach in Wildwood Crest. Do a search on Google under Wildwood Crest and I'm sure you'll find it.