Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where to stay near/in Washington- low/medium budget

Old Sep 18th, 2019, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please give some advice as where to stay near/in Washington.
We would like an accomodation modestly priced.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 04:45 AM

Hotel prices in Washington DC vary wildly based on what is going on in town. For example, I stayed twice at the JW Marriott - first trip, $160, second trip (two weeks later), over $500 for the same room.

The season also matters, as does weekend vs. weekday.

What at is your actual nightly budget? How many people in a room?

Old Sep 18th, 2019, 07:52 AM

Look at the Capitol Hill Holiday Inn. It's the one near the Mall with a SW address:

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotel...vD_BwE&srb_u=1

Consider what you'll save in transportation from VA or nearby MD.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've recently been toying with the idea of a trip to Washington and have looked on the Airbnb website to check prices. I've found some quite reasonable options, being a budget traveler myself. Georgetown is my target area, here are some, places with a private bath (very important!):

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Georgetown-...5D=78&adults=2

You don't mention your dates and prices may be different as mentioned above.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 08:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- first welcome to Fodors. now the bad news. Because you are a brand new member you are limited to how often you can post for the first few days. Unfortunately, you have posted twice and given us very little to work on with either thread. When you can post again . . . take advantage and post as much detail as you can so we can post useful suggestions.

More re why you specifically chose Atlanta Charleston and Wash DC (all are worth visiting but why did you choose them -- what sorts of things do you want to see/do)

What is your actual budget? Modestly priced could mean anything.

When is the trip? Time of year can make a big difference re hotel rates.

Where are you flying in/out of?

On the other thread you say two weeks -- is that just for Atlanta, Charleston and DC or do you want to visit other places?

In other words -- give us some meat to work with (you aren't charged by the word )
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 08:48 AM

My favorite place to stay is the Woodley Park Guest House. I have found it to be the best price/value. It is a B&B but I consider it more of a boutique hotel. You can decide if you want to share a bath or not. They have one room that has just a powder room in the room but your shower is shared. A cold breakfast is included at a community table. I like it because while it is a B& B, you do not feel like everyone is watching your every move. I have stayed there 3 times with positive experiences. They are also a Fodor Choice.

There is a Metro stop just across the street to get you where you want to go and many restaurants in the neighborhood. I liked to sightsee all day and then come back for a quieter dinner in the neighborhood.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 08:59 AM

Georgetown isn't that good a location for a tourist as there is no metro stop there.

Airbnb rentals are often illegal in DC, I notice that page has the same guy supposedly "hosting" two apts in completely different locations (Hayk). Which means he isn't a host, he's probably running a business. They are legal if the owner lives in the property, so a spare room, sure, and I think that includes an English basement when the owner lives above, or a side apt in a garage or something like that. Otherwise, most are not legal. Someone is not allowed to just rent out apartments to tourists unrestricted.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you said "near", I'll share the cheapest option: Stay at the Holiday Inn - Greenbelt (or the Crowne Plaza) in Greenbelt MD. Parking at the Greenbelt Metro station is about $8.75/day and free on weekends.
Get a SmarTrip card and add enough to it to make as many trips as you are making into the city plus the parking fee. The Greenbelt station is the northeast end of the Green and Yellow Metro lines.
If you are flying, the most convenient airport is Reagan National which has its own Metro stop.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Christina
Georgetown isn't that good a location for a tourist as there is no metro stop.
Christina, I wasn't suggesting Georgetown for the OP, just using my own search as an example. I'm a walker, rarely use underground options so your criterion isn't mine. The OP can decide where they want to stay & search accordingly. But I'm glad it gave you an opportunity for criticism, I aim to please.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 06:16 PM
kja

Another vote for the Woodley Park Guest House. And you might look at the Kalorama Guest House and Tabard Inn, too.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

thanks and reply

Thanks

Actually we don't have an idea about reasonable hotel prices and do not have a fixed daily budget
We may sleep the four of us together or otherwise, no problem
Originally Posted by sf7307
Hotel prices in Washington DC vary wildly based on what is going on in town. For example, I stayed twice at the JW Marriott - first trip, $160, second trip (two weeks later), over $500 for the same room.

The season also matters, as does weekend vs. weekday.

What at is your actual nightly budget? How many people in a room?

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks
we are going to check your idea and advice
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 06:53 AM

Please report back!
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 04:31 PM

I can vouch for hostelling international DC. Excellent location, clean, well kept. For all four of you, it would be less than $200 a night.

but I agree with the poster who said rates in the hotels vary wildly according to date. I’ve done a few nights in four star hotels, and then a few in the hostel on the same trip. The Willard hotel was $150 one night, and 400 the next for the same room. Crazy.

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 05:35 PM

A - get a "Metro" map, and stay in a suburb extremely near to a Metro line, and then take the Metro into DC each time you want to go.

The Metro is great, and all you'll need to get around (in addition to your feet).

You don't need to stay in DC proper to see all of the sights.

PS - consider the Newseum if there is time (among your other priorities)
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 09:06 PM

Please note that four of you in one room may not be allowed unless it is designed for that. Unless specifically described as a quad or family room most hotel rooms can accommodate 2, maybe a 3rd but rooms for 4 are not common. If you go the AirBnB route, postings list how many people the property can accommodate.

Holiday Inn Rosslyn Key Bridge is not posh but clean, comfortable and well located near Rosslyn Metro, and often has good rates.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:16 PM

I agree that not all hotel rooms will allow 4 people, but quad rooms are not uncommon at all in DC. 4 beds would be uncommon, but most hotels have a double queen option that allows 4 people. I assume that’s what the OP is looking for.