Where to stay near Gettysburg College and Dickinson College

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be going on college visits in late April. We plan to drive from Washington and Lee U. in Lexington, VA to Gettysburg College, then the next morning will tour Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. I have two questions. #1 Is the drive from Lexington to Gettysburg feasible if we plan to leave W & L at noon and hope to have time to tour Gettysburg? #2 Where is the best place to stay overnight after touring Gettysburg College since we will tour Dickinson in Carlisle first thing the following day? We have no interest in touring battlefields, this is NOT vacation! Could we stay near Harrisburg (New Cumberland) or Chambersburg, or is it too far to drive very late afternoon on the Gettysburg College day? The reason I mention these hotel locations is becaues I have free nights at Marriotts/Fairfield Inn. If Gettysburg or Carlisle is really worth spending the night in to have the opportunity to walk around town, then I'll stay right in town. Thanks for your advice!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:43 AM

You'd probably enjoy staying in either town. My preference is Carlisle, but Gettysburg has a lot of history.

In addition to Dickinson, Carlisle is home to the Army War College. It gets a new class every year of Lt Colonel and Colonel students--the best and the brightest, as it were. These are the folks selected for higher command, and they add a lot of class, generally speaking, to the area.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM

Mapquest shows 3.5 hours from Lexington to Gettysburg. Gettysburg & Dickinson are much closer together.I would suggest that you visit W&L in day 1, take a leisurely drive to Gettysburg and then do Gettysburg & Dickinson on day 2.There are several new chain motels on Rte. 30 just east of town.I would also suggest that you try to enjoy this a little more - its a nice time of your lives. The town of Gettysburg is charming and its history is what makes the College world-class.Carlisle is fine but not worth spending a nite in.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Leaving day 1 as simply travel from W & L to Gettysburg makes a lot of sense. Once we arrive in Gettysburg, I'm sure we'll want to abandon the car and walk around town.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

All set-booked a room in Chambersburg and plan to visit Gettysburg and Dickinson the next day. Any other advice about off campus life in either Gettysburg or Carlisle would be appreciated. Thanks Fodorites!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:54 AM

The road from the Gettysburg town square to the Visitor center is a very nice walk. The basement tavern of the Dobbins House reataurant has a nice range of food. You may have to ask for its location, but the Dobbins House has a small & interesting demonstration of how the tavern was used by the Underground Railroad.It it's a nice evening, also be aware that Emmitsburg Road as it continues thru the battlefield has the highest reports of ghost sightings in the US.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:32 AM

We just came back from a east coast college trip. My daughter liked Dickinson, it has a big focus on foreign languages and trips abroad.Something like 80% of students travel sometime during their 4 years at the school.

We stayed in a Comfort Suites just around the corner from the college, clean enough, large rooms and cheap. We just wanted a place to sleep.

We had dinner at a cute restaurant called Piatto on West Pomfret Street. Italian food, my daughter and I split an appetizer of grilled asparagus, topped with a fried egg and grated parmesan cheese that was excellent. We went to several colleges and restaurants over the course of a week, so if I remember one dish, it must have stood out!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM

While in Gettysburg, have lunch or dinner in the Spring Tavern of the Dobbin House. It's located in the basement of the Dobbin House. It's a wonderful, small place with great food. Take Rt. 97 south from the Gettysburg Square; the road will go to the right a few blocks south of the square; the restaurant is located on your right within 1/2 block of the turn. Have the warm gingerbread cake with lemon sauce for dessert! And by all means,take time to explore the rich history of the area; and if you like to shop, go to the Gettysburg Outlet Center. It's also located on Rt. 97 a few miles south of town; and there's also Boyd's Bear House.