Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to stay near Chinatown (San Francisco) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-near-chinatown-san-francisco-582248/)

dwfan Jan 16th, 2006 01:28 PM

where to stay near Chinatown (San Francisco)

Will be spending one day in San Francisco and mainly want to check out Chinatown. Traveling with two small children. Have looked at Hotel Rex, Stanford Court, Hotel Triton and Mark Hopkins Intercontinental? What is best option since we will be busy all afternoon and will basically need a comfortable place to sleep?

Underhill Jan 16th, 2006 01:30 PM

There's a Holiday Inn that's quite close.

SanFranciscoNative Jan 16th, 2006 02:04 PM

Has the Holiday Inn re-opened? I thought it was closed for renovations or something. I'd check on that.

Of the hotels you mentioned, the Hotel Triton is probably the best location wise. Stanford Court and the Mark Hopkins are at the top of Nob Hill meaning it would be an all up hill walk for several blocks with two small children. You could do it, but the Hotel Triton is closer to the bottom of the hill with easier (i.e., flatter) access to Grant Street and Chinatown. Another option that would enable you to walk to Chinatown is the Omni. It is in the Financial District, but also a few blocks from Chinatown.

franny Jan 16th, 2006 02:17 PM

The Holiday Inn just reopened as a Hilton. It's right next to Chinatown. I think it opened last week (I work a block from there). Hotels in the Financial District is a good suggestion. In addition to the Omni, there is a Park Hyatt a few blocks from Chinatown. Also the Hyatt Regency on Market Street isn't too far away.

Have a great time.

dwfan Jan 17th, 2006 07:22 AM

so the Holiday Inn near Chinatown is now a Hilton. What street is located on?

logandog Jan 17th, 2006 07:48 AM

It's not the Hilton, but the Royal Pacific Motor Inn is in Chinatown.At the intersection of Broadway and Columbus the location is excellent.
I've stayed there four times, it's not fancy but clean and safe.

bbqboy Jan 17th, 2006 08:01 AM

The Obrero on Stockton is a real experience, but shared bathrooms are probably not for small kids.
Your window overlooks the grocers putting out the morning's produce on the sidewalk. truly cool, but rustic. If you want to check out where Asians eat & shop, head towards Clement St. in the Avenues, and hit Japantown too.

SassTraveler Jan 17th, 2006 08:52 AM

I agree, Hotel Triton -- location, location, location.

For Chinese Food - R&G Lounge on Kearny Street -- a 15 minute, but flat walk from Triton.

Ida101 Jan 17th, 2006 09:47 AM

Yes the Holiday Inn Financial District on Kearbey Street, next to Chinatown is now a Hilton Hotel. Rates have gone up a lot however.

MelissaHI Jan 17th, 2006 12:00 PM

I used to always stay at the Royal Pacific, too! Isn't it right on the edge of Chinatown and Little Italy? I would stay there with my mom & uncle because we needed to be in Chinatown, and it was totally fine. I'd probably keep staying there except I gotta get to other places nowadays when I go to San Francisco.