where to stay in Utah & Arizona

Jun 18th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Sara

where to stay in Utah & Arizona

My husband, three teenage sons, and I will be touring some of the national parks in Utah & Arizona in August, specifically Zion, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell, and the Grand Canyon. We're not camping, so we need to stay in motels or cabins (condos, whatever). We won't be staying more than 2 or 3 nights at any given place. Can anyone recommend good places to stay? A pool or balcony (porch, patio, whatever) would be nice so we can relax after driving or hiking all day.We need either two rooms, or a family suite sort of place.Has anyone stayed at Ruby's in Bryce? If so do they recommend it - or is there a better choice? Laundry facilities would be a plus, too, as we'll have to do laundry at some point along the way. I think we'll be staying in Page or nearby when we go to Lake Powell, as we haven't made reservations to rent a boat, and I think at this late date our best bet is probably to take one of the guided boat tours they offer there. Any help is appreciated.

Jun 18th, 1999, 03:31 PM
Elsa

We stayed at Ruby's outside of Bryce a few years ago. The Ritz it is not. There is nothing much around Bryce, so there's not much choice. It is a typical motel. Nothing fancy, but it was clean. We had one room(our children were younger than yours when we went), and it was fine. You might want 2 rooms with 3 teenage boys. There's no way they are going to get into any trouble, because Ruby's is in the middle of nowhere. That is not meant as a put down. It's refreshing that all those tacky souvenier shops, restaurants, motels haven't inundated the area.

I would recommend the Wawheep Lodge at Lake Powell.

Jun 18th, 1999, 03:46 PM
Elsa

Sorry about that Sara. I went to correct the spelling of Wahweap Lodge and I inadvertently clicked on "post my reply."

As I was "saying"- I would definitly try to stay at Wahweap Lodge because it is right on Lake Powell. Request a room that has a water view. The view is awesome! The rooms are quite modest, but once again - clean. There are quite a few motels located in Page. They are not quite as convenient as the Wahweap, but the drive will only be about 5 min. away. There are newer motels like the Courtyard by Marriott, but they don't compare to the uniqueness of Wahweap. The place is so dark at night that the stars show up so brightly. You may live where you don't have interference from the city lights, but I found the evening at Lake Powell beautiful also. Hope I have helped you out. Enjoy your trip.

Jun 18th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Al

I invite you to phone 1-800-288-7336 during business hours and ask the Sedona (AZ) Chamber of Commerce to send you their free 70-page color booklet, "Experience Sedona." It will give you plenty of information. Also, you might check out their web site: sedonachamber.com

Jun 18th, 1999, 09:07 PM
Dayle

Sara, you should hurry and try to get reservations. The Nat'l Parks are extremely busy in the summer and at some, like Bryce, loding options are few. They get booked up early by the tour bus companies. The parks in Utah doen't have very many nearby options either, so hurry and good luck. You'll love it. Take plenty of film, sun screen and water.

Jun 21st, 1999, 11:29 AM
Diane

Sara, my family and I (2 teenagers) did a similar trip last year. I would recommend Ruby's Inn (check it out at
www.rubysinn.com). I didn't see any outdoor balconies but they do have a nice, large indoor pool and also have laundry facilities (I know, we did about 4 loads while there!). I would recommend that you go to the rodeo across the street--it's a hoot! I think they have them every evening around 7pm.
Also, we opted to have their buffet for a late lunch to cut down on costs which worked out great. Bryce Canyon is gorgeous; we're not big hikers but we went on the Queen's Garden Trail and loved it!
We went on a sunset cruise on Lake Powell which was great and stayed at a Best Western in Page which was okay (had a pool and continental breakfast). The Wahweap Lodge sounds wonderful but am sure it comes with a hefty price tag, too.
Have a wonderful trip!!!