Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay in Southern California in February???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-southern-california-in-february-981482/)

snorklesue Jun 12th, 2013 04:29 PM

Where to stay in Southern California in February????

Thinking of escaping NY winter and heading to CA this time. Have relatives in LA and Palm Desert so want to visit them, and also spend maybe a month in some beach town to be able to walk, play tennis, enjoy being outdoors. We realize it won't be really warm, but it will be warmer than NY and I always have like CA. Could you please give us some ideas of a good town to stay in. A friend likes La Jolla/Solana Beach, and Laguna also sounds great.
We would love to rent a 1 bedroom condo for the month of Feb.(with a waterview of course) for $4,000 or less. I've looked at some but often they don't even have winter months on their calendar. Why is that?

happytrailstoyou Jun 12th, 2013 05:36 PM

Just about any place that strikes your fancy from Laguna Beach to La Jolla would be a good place to hang out in February, 2014, but I think you would be better off concentrating on the area from La Jolla to Carlsbad.

I don't know in which town has a good supply of condos from which you can easily walk to shops and restaurants, but I'm sure others do.

HTtY

HappyTrvlr Jun 12th, 2013 05:41 PM

Isn't that the rainy season?

happytrailstoyou Jun 12th, 2013 05:46 PM

Yes, but compared to NYC is is less rainy--an average of 2 inches in San Diego vs. 4 inches in NYC. Also, San Diego is, on the average, at least 20 degrees warmer than NYC in February.

clarkgriswold Jun 12th, 2013 06:41 PM

For some reason the Del Mar/ Solana Beach area tends to get less rain than other coastal spots. Yes it will be warmer than NYC but it won't be Florida.

happytrailstoyou Jun 12th, 2013 06:54 PM

<i>Yes it will be warmer than NYC but it won't be Florida.</i>

Which is a good thing.

HTtY

snorklesue Jun 13th, 2013 05:52 AM

Thanks. Yes, Florida isn't for us even though it is so much closer and warmer. I'll look into the Solana Beach area some more and try to convince DH he will be warm enough. Also considering more time in Palm Springs area-we like hiking and it could be nice in Feb.

mlgb Jun 13th, 2013 08:15 AM

February gets frosty at night in the desert.

sunbum1944 Jun 13th, 2013 08:49 AM

I love Carlsbad- nice little downtown area with shops and restaurants- there is a train station downtown so you can take the train into San Diego if you want- nice beaches. My daughter used to live there and I loved going to visit.

AustinTraveler Jun 13th, 2013 09:20 AM

I stayed in a one-bedroom in San Clemente that would be ideal for you. I could easily spend a month there. The vrbo number is 452133. The calendar doesn't show the winter months but just email the owner directly. The owners are awesome people, the condo is beautiful and spacious, and the view is great. A big plus is that they own a restaurant where you get to eat free once a day, which is something I've never gotten from a vrbo.

snorklesue Jun 13th, 2013 11:09 AM

Thanks again. The San Clemente condo looks wonderful!