Where to stay in South Beach , Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read all the posts and am more confused than ever. We'd like to stay in SoBe , but cannot afford to pay top price. As great as some of the recommended hotels are, they are beyond my budget.
We don't have to stay right on the water and would be very happy a block back from the beach. A small boutique hotel would be great, as long as it's clean and safe. On the other hand , we don't want a dump either.

DOes anyone have any ideas for mid range hotels , say in the $200 - $250 range.

I've looked at priceline and don't seem pleased with the reviews of the listed hotels. I fully realize that the list is not carved in stone.. but don't want to risk a bad experience. I've usually had wonderful experiences elsewhere with Priceline.
Has anyoen had good experience with it in SOuth Beach.

there seems to be a million hotesl to chose from.
I'd really appreciate some valuable informations on hotels in my price range.
This will be for my 2nd annual Christmas away on my own. Last year was such a success to New YOrk.
I'd like Miami Beach to be great as well.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Expensive time of year. Take a look at Marseilles, it's right on Collins Ave on the beach side, very near the Delano. I've stayed there and it's nothing fancy but it has a pool and a great location, well within your price range.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:07 AM

I agree with the above post. My favorite location would be beach-side on Collins Ave. Fountainbleau and Eden Roc are a couple of other choices.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much to both of you. I will check out these hotels... So many choices...It's good to have the aadvice.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM
GoTravel

Fountainbleu and Eden Roc are not in South Beach.

Have you looked on Quikbook.com ? Christmas is peak season for South Beach and hotels are expensive.

My favorite boutique hotel off the beach is The Hotel (www.TheHotelOfSouthBeach.com) but I'm not sure you can get it for $250.

Try these:

The Penguin
Cardoza
Avalon
South Seas
Courtyard by Marriott (excellent)

The least expensive hotel in South Beach is the Days Inn on the corner of 21st and Collins Avenue. You can book that for under $200 but it is a dismal hotel.

$250 might get you an ocean front room there over Christmas. Those rooms have fantastic views. Try and book a corner room and they have balconies.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:40 AM

Park Central
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...h_Florida.html
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM

There is the Whitelaw - which I believe is around 200 and it's across the street from The Hotel of SB (Which I absolutely love). - this group has other centrally located hotels at a decent price:

http://www.southbeachgroup.com/whitelaw/whitelaw.shtml
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. NO I don't want dismal. If I have to resort to that, I'll go somewhere else for Christmas. I can't afford 5 star, but would still like to enjoy my stay and have a cute , clean room. It doesn't have to have a view.
I'll check out all your great suggestions.
Thanks again.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM

We had fun at Pelican Hotel. http://pelicanhotel.com/

It's been a couple of years, but it seems like we paid around $180 for a Queen room. It's an art deco hotel in South Beach, right across the street from the ocean. Each room is decorated in a different whimsical theme using vintage furniture and accessories. You can view photos of each room on their website.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Polly. I'll ckeck it out. It looks like a fun place to stay. I don't want too much of a party place... someplace quiet. Is that possible on South Beach?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Also check The National. The rooms have a wide range of prices, and would be in your budget, unless everything is significantly higher for the holiday. Our room was very clean and comfortable, service was lovely, location is excellent, and the grounds/pool area were superb!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Definitely check out the Courtyard by Marriott on Collins Ave. It's oceanfront, there is a pool, the rooms though fairly standard are perfectly adequate, and you can walk to the more lively parts of South Beach on the boardwalk.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:54 AM

posha: The oceanfront Courtyard by Marriott you're thinking about isn't in South Beach (and to walk to South Beach is a fairly long hike). There IS a Courtyard in South Beach, but it's on Washington, a couple of short blocks inland.

I'm a huge fan of the Park Central. Tasteful, just south of all the madness of Ocean Drive yet not in SoFi. The Whitelaw gets good write-ups, so I'd put it on the list too. The Hotel is hot-- I'd love to stay there next time I'm in South Beach, but the Cardozo has a hold on me...!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM

quote: "Fountainbleau and Eden Roc are a couple of other choices."

Fountainbleau is closed for renovations. I do not believe they will reopen until 2008.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Now, I'm a bit confused. What are the actually boundaries of SOuth Beach? And how far out of bounds would it be ok to stay and still be within walking distance of the shops and restaurants? I understand it's better to not have a car.

I'm not really interested in the party scene, but more want to see and enjoy the area. ...and to enjoy the beach.

What is SoFi ?

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
GoTravel

SoFi is South of Fifth Avenue.

The boundaries of South Beach are from the point all the way up to about 20th and Collins Avenue.

The Courtyard by Marriott on Collins Avenue, Fountainbleu, and Eden Roc are NOT in South Beach as they are in Mid Beach.

Miami Beach is comprised of South Beach, Mid Beach, and North Beach.

You do not want to stay anywhere but South Beach if your destination is South Beach because traffic is horrible.

The Fountainebleu is open for business and not closed for renovations. The are adding a condo tower and there is a lot of construction in the area.

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the additional information about the location of the beaches. I definately want to stay in SoBe then.
Is it all really crazy party time, or is it possible to stay in a quiet corner?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM
GoTravel

You can find anything you want in South Beach whether it is low key R&R or party till you fall down.