Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   where to stay in savannah (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-savannah-571077/)

maddiemay Nov 15th, 2005 08:47 AM

where to stay in savannah

I am really confused about where to stay. i had looked into hamilton turner inn but it looks further away than we would like. i looked at marshall house. great location but people have talked about noise and no water pressure in shower and tiny rooms. i looked at hampton inn but cant imagine staying there wiht all the other hotels. looking for something reasonable but nice. HELP!

CHELLOLIVE Nov 15th, 2005 08:51 AM

we really liked The Hamilton Turner House, check out The Eliza Thompson house very romantic and a great location.
Have fun.
Michelle

cmcfong Nov 15th, 2005 08:51 AM

check the Mulberry Inn

Brian_in_Charlotte Nov 15th, 2005 08:52 AM

The Hampton Inn is a great choice. Wonderful location, and it has more charm than your typical Hampton Inn. Savannah is a wonderful walking city - don't miss this by staying too far from center.

Ani Nov 15th, 2005 08:52 AM

We stayed at The Mulberry just across the street from the Riverfront-it was wonderful!

donco Nov 15th, 2005 08:54 AM

Sounds like you want an Inn but we stayed at Hyatt some years ago and loved it. Good luck!

bonniebroad Nov 15th, 2005 09:04 AM

Don't underestimate the Hampton Inn! Some of them are really great, especially in historic areas of cities. We've stayed at The Gastonian B&B, but that is super-expensive though wonderful, and I won't spend that much anymore. I enjoyed the Hyatt on the river, and my sister won't stay anywhere but The Mulberry Inn now!

aileen679 Nov 15th, 2005 09:06 AM

The Hampton is in an excellent location for walking. The East Bay Inn is right next to it. If walking is a problem, both of these would be good. They would also be closer to places to eat and the City Market area. The Mulberry is very nice, but it is on the eastern edge of the Historic district and you would have a good walk until you got to Bull Street which is the center of the District.
Check out this map:

http://www.savcvb.com/savannah/maps/downtown.shtml

This is the Historic District. It measures about one mile, north and south, and nearly that much east and west. Locations of hotel/etc. can be guestimated by the address. The streets run from #1 east and west from Bull Street (that is to say, #100 East Bay street is one block EAST of Bull and #100 West Bay street is one block WEST of Bull. The blocks going South from Bay Street, start at #1 at Bay.

OO Nov 15th, 2005 09:12 AM

Hamilton Turner is situated smack dab in the middle of the historic district so I'm a bit confused as to what it's too far from? Too far from River Street perhaps, or City Market? LOL, IMHO, the further from River Street the better I like it. River Street simply is not what makes Savannah what it is. Yes it should be seen for its part in Savannah's history, but spend the majority of your time wandering the squares, definitely not River Street...or even City Market.

That said, Hamilton Turner is not my favorite inn--no where close in fact--they played too much to the Midnight theme, though "Mandy" is loooong gone and the involvement was questionable to begin with. If you want to stay in an inn or B&B, I would much prefer a place like Ballastone Inn or Foley House. Like Hamilton Turner though, they are in the midst of the historic district so may be "too far" for you as well. Again, if it's River St you are thinking you are too far from, please don't worry. This is a good thing, not bad! :)

janiekins Nov 15th, 2005 09:47 AM

Hi OO - what do you mean by Hamilton Turner Inn playing to much to the Midnight theme? Who is Mandy? I am staying there in December? Am I making a mistake?

Bubba2 Nov 15th, 2005 09:49 AM

Stayed at the Hampton Inn last June and really enjoyed it - great location, nice facilities, and friendly staff.

dsquared Nov 15th, 2005 10:22 AM

janiekins,
"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (or as it's known in Savannah, The Book)

JeanH Nov 15th, 2005 11:14 AM

We made our first trip to Savannah a month or so ago. Stayed at Azalea Inn, which is a block or so from Forsyth Park. Yes, it was a long walk to downtown, but what a pleasant walk down Bull Street. Or one of the other streets. We got in the habit of walking to town on one of the less busy streets, then home on Bull Street, with a pit stop for a night cap at the Six Pence Pub. Very enjoyable. I did like the location of the Eliza Thompson House, we'll look seriously at that one for our next trip.

marybethcl Dec 3rd, 2005 06:55 AM

The Mulberry Inn is lovely. Also check out the Doubletree--it has beautiful rooms, excellent customer service, and often you can get a great rate (check the central Doubletree website.)
When you are in Savannah, I highly recommend a tour with Martha Ellzey. She is the BEST tour guide in the city!! I've been in Savannah many times and taken many tours, but none compare to what Martha offers. She can be contacted at 912-713-4040 or [email protected] Her new website is www.southernhospitalitytours.com. Martha might be a little more expensive than some, but I assure you that she is worth it! Her "book" tour is THE BEST in the city--much longer than others, and you will actually meet some of the characters in the book. Mary Beth
Tell Martha that Mary Beth says "Hey!")

IamBooth Dec 3rd, 2005 08:48 AM

Mary Beth, which of Martha's tours have you taken? I visited her website. Did you meet any of the characters in the "book" while touring with Martha?

abst14 Dec 4th, 2005 09:07 AM

We're also going to Savannah later this month and looking for something nice, charming but affordable.

My husband wanted the Marriott on the river but it looks like a regular nice Marriott. The Hampton Inn is my preference right now. The B&B get too expensive because of the extra $25 per night per child (2 teenage boys).

There's also the Hilton or Doubletree.

Any feedback would be appreciated. We're only stopping for one afternoon/overnight on our way to North Carolina.

rtysone Dec 5th, 2005 02:38 AM

The Hampton Inn is very nice, and was always a favorite when we visited a relative in Savannah. And River Street is actualy a very interesting spot to be near.

starrsville Dec 5th, 2005 05:42 AM

The Marriott looks and feels like a conference hotel. It is on the river, but down the hill from the midst of things. The location of the Hampton Inn and Doubletree are better. The Hilton isn't my favorite and is several blocks away from Bay/River Street area - which isn't necessarily a negative. The Hampton Inn is my fav - and given that you are traveling with kids, you may enjoy the free continental breakfast.