Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay in SanFrancisco with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-sanfrancisco-with-kids-615261/)

walkblackdog May 13th, 2006 07:04 AM

Where to stay in SanFrancisco with kids

We are taking our 3 kids, aged between 8 and 12 to San Francisco in July. Is it better to stay in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square (or somewhere else?) Thanks for any and all advice!

trippinkpj May 13th, 2006 07:39 AM

I'd say Union Square. What's your price range?

trippinkpj May 13th, 2006 07:40 AM

Oh, and will you have a car? That's an important factor.

laurenzo May 13th, 2006 06:03 PM

Whenever my family of five has come to the city, we've stayed in Union square area and Nob Hill. You can walk everywhere and take the cable car to Fisherman's Wharf. Do you have any hotels in mind?

LoveItaly May 13th, 2006 07:43 PM

Hi walkblackdog, I am not sure if you know or not but you have responses to your other post here regarding activities while in SF. If you don't know how to find your first post just click on your name by the Welcome at the top left of the screen. In that you have not responded to the first post I thought perhaps that you didn't know how to find it.

Regarding the area you should stay while in SF..personally I would stay at a hotel in the Union Square area versus Fisherman's Wharf. If I remember what you said in your other post I believe you will not have a car while IN SF. Staying in Union Square will give you access to all types of public transportation plus it will be easy to walk to various places you no doubt will want to visit.

BTW, just as today there is a new website for SF that will no doubt help you plan your trip, it is the Official Visitors Site. The web address is: www.onlyinsanfrancisco.com.

walkblackdog May 13th, 2006 09:28 PM

We will rent a car only the last 2 days. Hotel price range $200ish a night. Would like 1 room for all 5 of us but haven'thad any luck finding that yet.

trippinkpj May 14th, 2006 06:37 AM

For large rooms and suites, try Cow Hollow Inn and Suites on Lombard Street.

scoobydoo15 May 14th, 2006 10:30 AM

Hiya,
We have booked a parlour suite at the beresford arms which is not far from union square for our trip in August. The suite has 2 queen beds and a pull down bed in the lounge. It may be worth trying them if you have not already found anything. Good Luck

LynAK May 16th, 2006 05:56 PM

We stayed at the Beresford Arms a few years ago and were very pleased. I wrote a detailed review on tripadvisor.com This hotel was a real find for us...couple with 2 daughters. Good price & good value, decent continental breakfast included, great location, large room WITH KITCHENETTE! and right down the street from Union Sq.

LynAK May 16th, 2006 05:59 PM

Actually, the room had a real kitchen in a small separate room off the bedroom ..not just a kitchenette. There was a table and 2 chairs plus stove, fridge, kitchen equipment (pots pans plates, etc.) There was a grocery store across the street. This was very helpful with kids. Also, another good thing about the location is that there is an Avis car rental about a block away so when we wanted to rent the car to take a side trip it was very easy to pick up.