Where to stay in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Jan 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

We are thinking about staying in Portsmouth and making it a base for some traveling around the area. Martin Hill Inn looks charming on its website. Does anyone have any experience with this place, and is it in a good location?

Also, what would be reasonable to try to see if we make this our base?

Thanks in advance,
Grandot
Jan 14th, 2010, 02:41 AM

Looks like a great location within walking distance of Market Square etc. Private parking area is great. According to Mapquest it is 1.09 miles to the Seacoast Repertory Theater and it's a nice walk thru a historic area. Not sure what you mean about what to see if you stay in the area esp since it depends on season. Our favorite drive is route 1B thru New Castle (stop for lobster roll and onion rings at the Ice House) and then detour over to the beach area. The road thru Rye goes past beautiful mansions. Haven't been to the farmers market in a long time but it was nice. Kittery outlet malls are just over the bridge but for a nice drive, follow signs to Kittery Point. You could explore southern Maine area. You could go to Flag Hill Winery in Lee NH. If the weather is nice just take some bag chairs to enjoy the view from Prescott Park. Explore Strawbery Banke Historic Area. Definitely take either a harbor cruise or inland rivers cruise. I think the cruise dock might be more like 1 1/2 miles from the inn but the dock is easy walking distance from the parking garage. We've gone on a kitchen tour (most on Kittery Point area) and garden tour of New Castle but haven't done pocket gardens of Portsmouth. If you haven't picked a date yet, those are usually interesting tours.
Jan 14th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

I should have put my dates down. Our arrival in Portsmouth should be on March 30th. The weather will be totally unpredictable, but we'll go with the flow.

Thank you for all the great information. We are walkers, so it does seem as if the location will work well.
Jan 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM

I'm from Portsmouth originally and I've actually never heard of anyone staying there. It's in a decent enough location so if you're looking for a bed & breakfast it's probably fine.
Jan 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Wyatt92
Where do people you know usually stay?
Jan 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM

For downtown Portsmouth, there's the Sheraton and the Hilton Garden Inn, both great locations. Just outside of downtown and cheaper, there's the Port Inn and the Anchorage.

If you want to splurge, stay at the Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle, it's spectacular. It's a Marriott property. I don't really have any B&B suggestions.
Jan 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM

I have stayed at the Marriott Wentworth by the Sea 2 times. I love it there!
Jan 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Another fan of Wentworth by the Sea - I've stayed 5 times and am trying to book another stay for Feb. We only live 30 minutes away and love to go there for little getaways.

We love Flatbread Pizza and Friendly Toast for casual eating.
Jan 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Also - check out the schedule at the Music Hall. Jodi Picoult will be doing a reading from her most recent book. The next night there is a band performing blues/Afro funk. Might be interesting.

Art Garfunkel and Solas are appearing there earlier in the month.