Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Outer Banks with a toddler and preschooler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI all. We're planning to visit OBX next May with our two kids who will then be 1 and 4. We're looking for lodging bigger than a hotel room (i.e. a condo/cottage/house) that won't break the bank but still in a good location-on the beach, possibly with a pool. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of the OBX is residential rental rather than hotels so you should have a lot to chose from. Oceanfront homes with a pool tend to be be mega palaces with price tags to match. There are smaller places (5 or few bedrooms) but the inventory is smaller. You're going in May and that will work in your favor.

Most of the major realtors have their inventories on line with descriptions, location, proximity to the beach, price by season and availability. Goolge Sun, Twiddy, Carolina Designs, Southern Shores, Prudential Outer Banks. I'm sure I've missed a few.

Good luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks OBXgirl. Any suggestions on one town over another? I've had a hard time finding good information on what each town has to offer.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:53 AM

The farther up you go away from Nags Head / Kill Deveil Hills the less there is. Wife and I have stayed at Corolla many times and love it. Corolla does have a grocery store (Piggly Wiggly I think) and some shopping / dining.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:39 AM

We have stayed in Corolla many times with young children. i highly reccomend a house with a pool near the beach. That way nap time doesn't mean "stuck in the house" for Mom. Just keep the baby monitor nearby.
Resortquest.com has a variety of listings and great amenities. Linen service and maid service available. Great little shopping/eating area in Corolla and Duck is 15 min away.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM

I wouldn't think in terms of towns so much as beach regions, northern, central and southern, as they each have a slightly different flavor.

Southern: more remote if you're coming from the north, less developed and a little more laid back.

Central: densest development, commercial and residential mixed together. Mix of old and new and home to lots of the sorts of businesses full time residents use.

South Nags Head (MP 16-20ish) is an older residential community that has some smaller homes and an older style beachy feel. Very close to Hattaras National Seashore which is beautiful.

Northern: somewhat more upscale. Residential & commercial not mixed. Has more resort communities.

I am not partial to overly landscaped resorts b/c I think they cancel out the character of the OBX. So my choices reflect that opinion. I think Duck is a good place for families with young children. I also like Southern Shores and Corolla.

I disagree somewhat with Buckeye. There are shops, restaurants and groceries (chain and independent markets) up and down the OBX. The one real exception is Carova a community which is presently only accessible by 4WD. Wouldn't be my choice for a place to stay with young kids just b/c.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM

whoops.... b/c of the accessibility issues.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM

As someone else said, there aren't many hotels in the area of OBX stretching from Southern Shores to Corolla, but the vast majority of visitors seem to rent homes or conds. We personally love Corolla because it is so laid back. For a family with kids, you may want to rent a home possibly with a pool, but a lot don't turn the heaters in the pool on in May--and if they do, may charge you about $300. However, there are two or three great subdivision areas that have a community pool, game rooms, fitness centers, etc. Two that come to mind are Monteray Shores (we have stayed here twice) and Corolla Light. Monteray Shores is on the sound side in Corolla and you could have up to a 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk to the beach. Corolla Light has homes and condos on both the beach side and sound side. They also have a trolley that does runs throughout the property to take you to and from the beach.
We had a soundfront home the first week of June this year and LOVED having the waterfront view with nightly sunsets (you won't have that on the beach side). As someone else mentioned, homes on the beach side (1st row beach front) tend to be larger scale (up to 8 bedrooms) and are going to run much more $$$. The great thing about the rental homes is most have grills, games, books, some have pool tables and other game tables. You can choose to cook in or eat out. You will find that you can search for hours and look at properties for hours until it becomes exhausting!

All you have to do is an internet search of "outer banks vacation rentals" and many realtors come up. On this site, many are listed all in one place. http://www.corollaguide.com/vacation_rentals/
As I said, we've preferred Corolla, but Duck seems nice as well. You can rent through a realtor..or you can go independently through a place such as vrbo.com. All of the rental agencies and vrbo.com typically give you a lot of photos. Going in May, you should have your choice of properties and the rental rates shouldn't be too high. The other thing is most of the realtors may not have prices set until November/December, so they may charge you a fee now to hold a place until the rates are set.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We definately think that a house is an advantage. I can't wait to get my hands on some fresh seafood that we are lacking here in the Midwest! I think I'll start my search in Corolla area. If anyone has any specific properties to suggest, that would be great-the choices are overwhelming!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:52 PM

You're right, the choices are overwhelming. But your first visit will be to pick a place, visit and get a feel for the area. Drive around a bit while there and decide where you like, then next time you'll have a better feel for where you want to stay.

I forgot in my previous post, another area that is Sound Side in Corolla and a gated community is the Currituck Club. I believe they also have a fitness center, pools, etc. The homes in this area are newer, and a LOT of them have pools, it borders a golf course if you or your SO like to golf. You will come across the homes in this area when looking at properties from the realtors and notice from the pictures that the interiors are nicely done!

Another location, the Whalehead Beach area (beach side), has tons of different homes to choose from--there are about 3 or 4 parallel streets that border the ocean and each one goes about two miles--that gives you an idea of how many homes there are just in that area.

Oh, one last note, since you have kids, when you go the OBX, you can rent bicycles for a week that will be delivered and picked up at your rental. Check first, however, that the home you rent doesn't already offer bikes--some do! Also, make note on whether your rental provides linens--if it doesn't you would have to take them, kind of an inconvenience when packing with two littles ones!

You have lots of time to search, but if you start now, you should have it narrowed down by November. Good Luck! ;-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Let the search begin. After being a bit homebound this summer with a newborn I'm really excited to start digging into a new trip!
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM

We spent many summer vacations renting in the Duck area. You probably aren't going to find an affordable house for just one family, as most are 4 plus bedrooms. Early on, when we were travelling with just our kids and no other families we stayed in a condo right on the beach in Duck. I think they were called Duck Blind Villas. We rented through Twiddy. There are very few condo complexes in the Outer Banks, I recall this one and one other in Duck. There is an ocean front pool. Good luck!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Kathy, I have to disagree...the time she is going in May she should not have trouble finding an affordable rental (I guess affordable is relative to the renter though?). My husband and I rented a 4 bedroom home for just the two of us and our dog and found a reasonable rate the first week of June and we were Soundfront--this is still not busy season yet. Perhaps depending on the wishlist, she might have to give up something (like a pool)...however, DON'T be afraid to make a reasonable offer to a realtor if you find a home you like. They will check with the client who may accept or decline your offer, esp. if the rental period is on the beginning of a changing rate timeframe.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM

hugglynn, you are right, I must have missed that they are going in May. Those 4 bedroom houses are much more affordable then, compared to the summer months.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
cd

swalter
I don't know if you are familiar with VRBO or not but we have successfuly rented from them for years as have others here on Fodor's. (they rent weekly) I checked briefly on Corolla for you and found this very lovely home, oceanfront with pool for $2000.00 Check it out at: http://www.vrbo.com/217644
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Just know that May weather can be wonderful -- or just horrible. We have sat through entire weeks of rain, 60 mph winds, tornadoes, you name it. We've also had some beautiful weeks.

I've been going to the Outer Banks for well over 30 years and our favorite town is Duck. We have rented from Elan the last couple of years, in a subdivision called Sanderling. (Not the Sanderling Inn...)

I'm less fond of Corolla than most people; I just find it over developed. Conversely, I like the older, more built up parts of the Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk, Nagshead, Kill Devil Hills), quite a bit. They have local flavor.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM

If you are willing to be in the car another 45 minutes to an hour head a little further south to Rodanthe or Waves or even a bit further to Avon. Beautiful uncrowded beaches. Lots of variety in house sizes and costs. Outer Beaches and Surf or Sound are realty companies we have used. Like others I urge you to try the soundfront. Unreal sunsets and in some spots still only a SHORT walk to the oceanfront, particularly in Rodanthe.

Eat a burger at Sam & Omie's and pick up reasonably priced T's at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. Be there about 5ish to watch the sport fishers unload their catch!