Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay in Oklahoma City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-oklahoma-city-458329/)

enjoylife Jul 8th, 2004 05:39 PM

Where to stay in Oklahoma City

Hello!

I am heading to Oklahoma City in August. What would be a good area to stay in where it is safe and there are things to do. What else is there to see there and the near surrounding areas other than the memorial?

detroit_sg Jul 9th, 2004 05:38 AM

It has been 5 years since I lived in OKC, but the Bricktown area was developing while I was there. I'm not sure about hotel rooms, but they have a lot of restaurants and bars, a man-made "Riverwalk" area, and a minor league baseball team.

You can head down to Norman, about 20 minutes from the city, to the University of Oklahoma campus.

Depending on what you are into, there is the Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Zoo, golf, and lots of parks, etc. for hiking. Although August will probably be really warm.

enjoylife Jul 9th, 2004 03:40 PM

Thank you for the information. I booked the Westin Oklahoma City on Priceline for $48 a night.

designmr Jul 14th, 2004 09:51 AM

Hope this is not too late.

As detroit said, it depends on what you like to do. Downtown hosts sports and concerts at the Ford Center (www.okfordcenter.com). Its arts district is home to the stunning Oklahoma City Museum of Art (www.okcmoa.com), which hosts gallery talks, a rooftop cocktail party Thursday nights, independent films on the weekends, and a terrific restaurant. The Civic Center (www.okcciviccenter.com) hosts the performing arts, and Stage Center hosts local plays.

There is also Bricktown, home to dozens of restaurants, clubs, and shops. Check out www.bricktownokc.com.

Or, you can simply see Downtown OKC's website at for a listing of events:

www.downtownokc.com

Do a search on Oklahoma City on this forum, and you'll find what OKC has to offer.

If you have any questions, please post

Diana Jul 14th, 2004 09:54 AM

Bricktown is really nice, and there are lots of very good restaurants there.
We went to the cowboy (I think?) museum anb spent HOURS there. It was incredible!

designmr Jul 14th, 2004 10:03 AM

Thanks, Diana. For more complete info, there's the CVB site, www.visitokc.com

OKC has a terrific stock of museums and neighborhoods. The Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is world-class, and the Little Saigon neighborhood on NW 23d and Classen is the envy of my Asians in the center of the country.

MzPossum Jul 14th, 2004 10:05 AM

Hi, enjoylife!
You've gotten some good info from the other posters already, but I'll add a little. If I remember correctly (I'm a native but haven't lived there in 6 years) your Hotel is at 63rd and Penn, right? This is close to several good restaurants on Western (Western is 1 block east) Pearls (cajun)on 63rd. If you go north on Western from 63rd, there's the Iguana Lounge for funky Mexican and another place nearby for good barbeque.
For a nice evening stroll, check out Lake Hefner (63rd west to Portland, then south to the park) There are nice restaurants on the lake (accessed by the Lake Hefner Extention on the east side at the Britton Exit) plus nice walking paths. Like detroit said, it will be HOT and WINDY, so walk in the evening! There is usually a balloon festival in early August, as well.

MzPossum Jul 14th, 2004 10:14 AM

Just checked the Visitors' website--no mention of the Balloon Festival. Maybe it's not this year.

designmr Jul 14th, 2004 10:15 AM

Thanks for mentioning N. Western's local restaurant's...that's where it's at!

MzPossum Jul 14th, 2004 10:45 AM

found it! Bethany Hot Air Balloon Festival, August 13-14, Eldon Lion Park. (Bethany is a small community within Oklahoma City)

localyocal Jul 28th, 2004 12:36 PM

Enjoy life - glad you're coming to OKC. To update another reply - the Iguana Lounge restaurant is now closed. As far as what to see while you're here, no visit to OKC is complete without a visit to the Oklahoma City National Memorial. This is the memorial and museum dedicated to the 168 who died in the OKC bombing. It is powerful, emotional and beuatiful. If you are staying at the Westin you'll be just a few blocks away from it. A great burger place is Little Mike's Hamburger Palace - great onion burgers made from scratch.

beckers2482 Jul 28th, 2004 01:39 PM

Other than specific hotel recommendations, is there a particular part/area of town that would not be as safe to stay in (N,S,E,W,etc.)? I am a single young woman and I will be traveling the OKC area extensively alone (I am a college representative). There will be nights when I don't get to the hotel until 10pm. Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Coskier Jul 28th, 2004 02:06 PM

Beckers, I too travel to OKC alone. I have been staying at the Courtyard by Marriott in Bricktown. I walk to dinner alone have never felt unsafe.

MzPossum Aug 3rd, 2004 10:32 AM

localyocal
I'm crushed that Iguana Lounge is closed!!!! Has anything opened in it's place?

localyocal Aug 3rd, 2004 01:38 PM

Nothing has replaced the Iguana yet. This is a very recent closing, though, so maybe soon we'll have something new and yummy.

sweetgirl Aug 24th, 2004 11:14 AM

If you haven't traveled to OKC yet, you should definately try Cattleman's for lunch. I have taken all of my out-of-town friends there and they think it is just what they imagined Oklahoma to be like...cowboys and great steaks. Their house dressing is terrific!! You can get a steak, baked potato, salad, bread and drink for around $10 (lunch only.) I mentioned going there for lunch b/c that area (Stockyards) can be a little inimidating to a woman traveling alone. Other good spots are VZD's, Terraluna, Red Rock Canyon Grill, Charlestons and the Mantle. You really can't go wrong in Bricktown or on Western Avenue. Be sure to check out the Buffalo art through the city. Basically, different companies have bought buffalo statues and painted them according to their tastes. My personal faves are the Elvis, Newspaper Buff and the one by the Cox Center. Hope you have a good trip!!

designmr Aug 24th, 2004 05:08 PM

sweetgirl, I loved checking out those buffs last time I was in town, too...my favorite was the Corporate Buff at Leadership Square...decked out in a suit and tie.

enjoylife Aug 24th, 2004 06:48 PM

Just got back from OKC. I recommend the Cowboy Heritage Museum, the Memorial and Memorial Museum, and the Art Museum.

However, I ate at two places that were recommended and was disappointed.
The bbq chicken at Earl's was dry, dry, dry. The ribs at Countyline were also dry, dry, dry.

I stayed at the Westin near Bricktown. Good location. Friendly staff. Not the cleanest hotel. There were dirty sheets and towels piled in the hall at 7:00 p.m., the rooms smelled like disinfectant, but didn't look clean, and there were wet towels with rust on them in the room that contains the ice machine and nonworking soda machine.

Overall, not a bad trip.

MzPossum Aug 25th, 2004 04:43 AM

What a shame about the barbeque and the hotel. That's surprising about a Westin. Glad you liked the Memorial and Museum. Any food you did like?

sweetgirl Aug 25th, 2004 11:23 AM

designmr - Corporate Buff is a great one as well! It seems that there are new buffs every week. I am sure to the outsider that it is strange to see all of these buffalo, but nonetheless interesting.
enjoylife - i am sorry to hear that your food/hotel wasn't great. What a shame! Did you venture to Western Avenue? Bricktown?