Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to Stay in Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-maui-249510/)

Janice Aug 14th, 2002 09:53 AM

Where to Stay in Maui

Hello,<BR>I am planning to go to Maui for 3 nights and spend 4 nights on Waikiki beach. Since I will have car in Maui, I do not mind driving to the beach areas (save the money and stay on the beach at Waikiki).<BR>Any recommendations where I save some money on Maui and still have decent hotels.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Janice

Patty Aug 14th, 2002 09:55 AM

Kihei area generally has some of the least expensive lodgings on Maui.

x Aug 14th, 2002 10:00 AM

It's good you'll have a car so you can go somewhere nicer than Kihei.

kleeza Aug 14th, 2002 10:04 AM

If you're staying in Waikiki you may not be looking for a place nicer than Kihei...

Debbie Aug 14th, 2002 10:07 AM

Janice:This is only a small start, mind you, but take a moment and go to expedia.com and pull up your trip date under hotels and take a look at the various offerings. You get to see photos of the property and often the rooms. It will give you their ratings and all the specs and of course their room rates.<BR><BR>Are you a member of AAA? They have great literature free for the asking.<BR><BR>Or, just surf around using Maui accomodations as a starting point on the web. Lots will pop up!

deb Aug 14th, 2002 10:28 AM

Stay away from Embassy Suites hotel.

Marie Aug 14th, 2002 11:08 AM

I though Waikiki was on Oahu, not Maui.

jamie Aug 15th, 2002 12:33 PM

Check the Maui coast hotel in Kihea, across the street from the beach, a newer property.

x Aug 15th, 2002 12:37 PM

Maui Coast - No views, grounds are blah, you're in Kihei.

x Aug 15th, 2002 12:43 PM

You know Marie sometimes you just have to figure some stuff out for yourself. Janice is saying that she's in Maui for 3 nights Waikiki for 4. Since she'll be staying at a hotel on the beach at Waikiki she doesn't need to be at a hotel on the beach on Maui and will have a car to drive there anyway. She's looking something decent and reasonably priced on Maui. Reading comprhension lesson is over for today.

Gale Aug 16th, 2002 04:07 AM

Grand Champions Villas in Wailea is a great spot... reasonable rates and just about perfect... rent a unit on the golf copurse directly thru an owner if possible.

Nova Aug 16th, 2002 04:35 AM

Kihei is cheap but it is cheap for a reason, that is, it is not a preferred part of Maui.<BR><BR>You can stay in one of the commnunities (Honokawai or Kahana) just a few miles north of Kaanapal Beach for a lot cheaper than Kaanapali Beach itself. There are lots of great condos in Honokawai and Kahana right on the beach (but the beach is jsut so-so). It is only a few miles to drive to Kaanapal Beach and Lahaina.

Joe Aug 16th, 2002 06:20 AM

Check out vrbo.com for rentals...

georgeIII Aug 16th, 2002 08:51 AM

I like Kihei.It's a real town with real people,movie theaters, supermarkets,gas stations and some of the most wonderful beaches in the islands.<BR>And who knows?You might actually meet a real Hawaiian!

Ken Aug 16th, 2002 06:56 PM

Janice you said that you are only going to be in Maui for three nights? DON'T STAY IN KIHEI (unles economy is of absolute importance). You will just end up driving back and forth to Kaanapali and Lahaina (35 to 45 minbute drive). If you just stay in Kihei and don't go anywhere else in maui you moght just as well stay in Waikiki and forgrt Maui.

Sandy and Dan Aug 17th, 2002 10:06 AM

Highly recommend www.noelani-condo-resort.com just above Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach. Close to everything. Also research www.hawaii4less. They do one week condo/car packages but you can probably book several nights through the condo-resort directly. Maybe the company with do a combo package for you for both islands.