Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay in Los Angeles? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-los-angeles-917497/)

lmz Jan 1st, 2012 02:47 PM

Where to stay in Los Angeles?

Looking at going to LA in early March for 4 days or so to do some of the touristy stuff and would like some guidance on what part of town to stay in. I think the sights we probably want to hit would be Hollywood, Beverly Hills (window shop on Rodeo Drive), the Griffith Observatory, Venice and Santa Monica. I know LA is pretty spread out so is there a location that is kind of central to everything? I know we'll need a car.

Also, if there is anything else we should see, I am open to all suggestions. I am going with my sister and we like to shop, eat and drink, and check out the local culture. Not too big on museums but we can handle them for a short time. We're not interested in Disney or Universal.

Thanks

charnees Jan 4th, 2012 04:50 PM

Most of what you want to see is on the west side, so I would stay in Santa Monica because I like being by the beach. Griffith Park is past downtown, but you can take a freeway straight there.

Christina Jan 5th, 2012 10:25 AM

You could stay in the area roughly fairly near the Beverly Center, that is very central or Beverly Hills/Fairfax/W Hollywood area, whatever a hotel might call it.

This is a mid-level hotel in that area that I recommended once to a friend with the same goal, and she liked it a lot.
http://www.elanhotel.com/

If you like shopping, you might check out W Hollywood/Melrose Place.

mlgb Jan 5th, 2012 12:52 PM

I agree with Christina. Santa Monica is at the far end of the area and you'll be spending too much time stuck in traffic to get anywhere else. West Hollywood sounds like a good fit for your interests.

SAB Jan 5th, 2012 01:19 PM

Another vote for the Elan, which is a go to place for me in LA.

Surfergirl Jan 5th, 2012 02:23 PM

Century City would also be ideal. It's in the middle of everything on the westside and has a huge outdoor, high end, shopping area.

mlgb Jan 5th, 2012 05:43 PM

Century City has a big corporate Westfield mall and high rise office towers!

lcuy Jan 5th, 2012 09:30 PM

Another vote for the Elan. Very convenient, and a great little hotel

Christina Jan 6th, 2012 08:53 AM

Century City is sort of central but it really isn't much of a real place IMO. It's just business buildings and not a neighborhood or as interesting as the Fairfax area or W Hollywood.

easytraveler Jan 6th, 2012 01:06 PM

There's also a Residence Inn on S Beverly Drive in Beverley Hills which would place you just a few blocks from Rodeo Drive and closer to Santa Monica and Beverly Hills.

It's not a boutique hotel, just your average Residence Inn, but clean and serviceable.

http://www.beverlyhillsresidenceinn.com/

There are also some choices in restaurants in closeby Westwood, which is the college town for UCLA.

MiamiBeachMomma Jan 10th, 2012 05:09 AM

We just returned from LA. We stayed at the Fairmont in Santa Monica. It was great!! Easy to jump on the freeways and get to the spots to sightsee and also nice to jump hang in Santa Monica. We loved renting bikes at the SM pier and biking up to the Venice pier and back!!

MelissaMorgan Jan 10th, 2012 09:00 PM

IMHO, I would stay in Santa Monica. Nothing beats the ocean views & breezes and MiamiBeachMomma is right, it's easy to hop on the freeway to get where you want to go so long as you know traffic patterns. Just plan your days so you don't have traffic trouble. E.g. go east to Griffith Park & Hollywood, maybe also a visit to The Grove (Fairfax & 3rd) on the weekend or during off-peak weekday traffic hours). For your weekdays during rush hour, stay local to your hotel with Santa Monica, Venice, maybe even Malibu and/or Manhattan Beach. Whatever you do, don't try to go more than say 10 miles in any direction on a weekday from 7:30-9:30 a.m. or 4-7:30 p.m.. You'll get there, but it'll take you an hour.

For a girls weekend, I'd also recommend lunch or drinks with a view at The Lobster in Santa Monica, lunch (maybe Babalu or R+D Kitchen) and shopping on Montana Ave in Santa Monica, maybe a drive up PCH to Malibu with a stop at the Getty Villa (it's small and just gorgeous) and shopping at the Malibu Country Mart & LumberYard. I also love Manhattan Beach (Manhattan Ave shops, coffee, restaurants, Metlox Center, Manhattan Pier).

Just some thoughts!

Enjoy!!

Italophile Jan 14th, 2012 05:22 PM

I was told that LA now has a rail system - does it go to all the main places, or just between the airport and city? My friend and I don't drive and prefer public transport wherever possible as taxis can be quite pricey.

mlgb Jan 14th, 2012 05:44 PM

The Metro Rail system connects LAX,downtown, Hollywood, Pasadena, and the Wishire district as far west as Koreatown. It doesn't go to Santa Monica, which is actually a different city. Santa Monica has its own bus system.

There is also a connection by train between downtown and Anaheim.

You can find out about public transit on the website www.metro.net and also by using Google Maps Directions which has a transit option.

Jean Jan 14th, 2012 08:40 PM

The new Expo Line (lightrail metro) will eventually connect downtown L.A. with Santa Monica (via the Colisseum/USC/Exposition Park area and Culver City). The two ends will be 7th St./Metro Center in downtown L.A. and Colorado/4th St. in Santa Monica. Phase I between downtown and Culver City is doing test runs and may be open in March 2012. Construction on Phase II has started, but it's not likely to be up and running until 2016 or later.

jpie Jan 15th, 2012 05:18 AM

Another hotel option is the Farmer's Daughter near to the Elan, but has the advantage of being across the street from the Farmer's Market and Grove shopping center. Great location if you have kids who want to shop on their own.

http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/

If you travel light you could also decide to stay 2-3 nights near West Hollywood and 2-3 nights in Santa Monica, especially if you are flying in or out of LAX, since it is right near the beach and Santa Monica area.

Tomsd Jan 15th, 2012 05:19 AM

Some good recommendations. Would also recommend you consider the new/main Getty Museum and drive up to Malibu - along hiway 1. Go early - or at least - not during rush hours. :)

Jean Jan 15th, 2012 10:05 AM

You need a parking reservation for the Getty Malibu.

Surfergirl Jan 16th, 2012 08:02 AM

Point of clarification on the Metro -- The Green Line does NOT stop at LAX. There is, however, a shuttle between its closest stop at Aviation and the airport.

Phase 1 of the Expo Light Rail line is still being tested for safety. When completed and tested, it will take riders from downtown to Culver City.

amyb Dec 28th, 2015 07:17 AM

>>You need a parking reservation for the Getty Malibu.<<

Hmmm...I've been to the Getty three times in the last year and never once reserved parking.