Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Key West B&B- Truman hotel, Almond Tree Inn, or Andrews Inn & Cottages

Old Jan 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a continuation from a previous post. i will be travelling to KW in April with a toddler. people have recommended that I stay closer to the action in Old Town so these are the three choices I have narrowed it down to. Are they any good?
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 02:59 AM

MDEyes - Those three are all in the same general vicinity - only a few blocks from the Southernmost Hotel. Here's a map of hotels in Key West.

http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/ke...hotel-map.html

Highway 1 becomes Truman. If you run your cursor over the hotels on Truman, you'll find the Almond Tree Inn, which is the only of your 3 choices on this map. It's a nice hotel, but Truman is a really busy thoroughfare...probably the busiest in Old Town. In addition, it's still fairly far from the other side of the island. If you'll look toward the left top of the map (on the water), you'll see Mallory Square and the hotels next to it - the Hyatt Sunset Harbor, the Westin, the Ocean Key, the Pier House, the Hyatt Resort and the Galleon. These are all fairly pricey, but just a couple of blocks over - on a nice, quiet street - are the Island City House and Ambrosia. If I were you, I'd look into one of those places first.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 04:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Almond Tree Inn last year and loved it. The property and the rooms are lovely, and the street did not seem any busier than the area near Mallory Square. The pool and garden area is private and fenced, so a toddler would not be going out to the street. While it is the street that becomes Highway 1, this is near the end of it and does not have a highway appearance.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Nikki - my response was based solely on location. I've heard really nice things about the Almond Tree and have walked by there many times. My reservation about that area is that it's a long way for a toddler to walk to get to things I think he/she would enjoy like sunset celebrations, the aquarium, glass bottom boats, etc., etc. There's a big toy store down near Mallory Square, too, that kids love (can't think of the name of it).

The major exception is the Butterfly Conservancy which I absolutely adore and which is more convenient to Truman.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Is the area still far (walking with a toddler in the heat) from the busier parts of KW or should I get a lodging closer as suggested by SusanCS?
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

SusanCS- Sorry, didnt see your post, before i posted mine. We mustve done it at the same time.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Nikki- did you stay in the main building or in the cottage? I am considering the cottage since kids aren't allowed in the main building.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

SusanCS- have you stayed at Island City House Hotel before? If so, which is better- the arch house, cigar house, or island city house? the only downside I see is that parking isn't provided. is street parking goimg to be difficult? If so, are the paid parking lots/garages expensive per day? we will be there for four days.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:05 AM

MDE - no I haven't. I'd suggest you ask on tripadvisor.com. I used to be a destination expert there back when we were called "local experts" and they currently have something like 14 DEs, many of whom live in Key West.

Another thing, too, is that none of us knows the kind of stamina your child has, so it might be that staying farther away would be okay. But from the Almond Inn to 0 Duval (where Mallory Square is) is slightly less than a mile, and when my children were young, it would've been hard to make a trek like that.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM

Here's a link to the forum

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...s_Florida.html
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
MD, I stayed in the main building.
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

I looked at Island City House. it's perfect! thanks, SusanCS!
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM

MDEyes - You're very welcome! I think you'll be really happy...I don't remember ever having heard a negative review of it.