Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in DC with elderly parents in April ??

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both parents are in their 80s. My father can walk long distances, but I'm not sure about him finding his way alone to the museums he'd like to visit. My mother cannot walk long distances, but would be fine to sit in a cafe or park with me and people watch while my dad is in a nearby (or same) museum. So, here's my question. Would Dupont Circle be a convenient place to stay? It's close to the Metro and restaurants so it might be handy for my mom's limited walking. If so, which Dupont Circle hotel is closest to the Metro? Or would it be better to forgo the Metro and just catch a cab everywhere we want to go? Not worried about the cost, just want my parents to be comfortable. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM

Taking the metro in DC generally requires some walking - the stops are somewhat few and far between (depending on where you want to go). This is particularly the case downtown near many of the museums. If your mom can't walk very far, I would suggest sticking with cabs (unless you are going somewhere right next to a metro stop).

Even though I live in DC, I know very little about the hotels. Hopefully someone else can make a suggestion.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:39 PM

I think Dupont Circle is a good idea because there are several hotels from which you could walk a very short distance to breakfast, or dinner, or just for coffee. It is, of course, very convenient to the Metro, but it's also easy to catch cabs between Dupont and the areas where museums are clustered; I agree that the Metro may prove too taxing for daily back and forth, although your Mom might manage a ride or two for fun if she's so inclined. It's also true that the Mall, along which most of the popular Smithsonian museums are lined, and where the most popular monuments are arrayed, is very long and wide--the distances between attractions are big. So there's another reason cabs will be the best way to go most of the time, because they can drop you at the door of a museum as opposed to several blocks away, as the Metro would.

Fodorites, help me out: what's the name of the former Jury's on Dupont Circle, since its recent remodel? To my mind, that's a location that can't be beat for convenience.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:13 PM

Is it the Dupont?

http://www.doylecollection.com/locat...ont_hotel.aspx
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:29 AM

Dupont Circle is great for younger people, but elderly folk might find it a little sketchy, depending on where they are from and how much exposure they have had to diversity.

Many big luxury hotels seem to cluster near Farragut North along Connecticut Avenue, IIRC, so that is a possibility.

We stayed last spring at the JW Marriott, only 3 blocks from the Smithsonian. Metro access wasn't perfect, but it is a good central location for cabs. We got a terrific weekend rate on Priceline.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:02 AM

Whatg museums does your Dad want to go to? That will help on location. If it is the Smithsonian museums centered around the mall, I would stay at the Willard w/elderly parents. I think they will love the history and oppluence of the lobby and dining rm. there. Other options are the JW Marriott on the same block, the new Westin around the corner, or the Hyatt a few blocks away downtown (across from Macy's) with elderly parents.

Maybe you could take them to a production at Natl. Theater which is next door to the Willard and around the block from JW MArriott. Willard, Westin, JW MArriott are in the same block w/Natl. Theater and Natl. Place, a small shopping and dining venue, convenient for grabbing breakfast or lunch. Abd Les Halles restaurant, Chef Geoff's, and several other good solid restaurants are very nearby.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think Dupont Circle is a good location -- not sure what Ackislander means by "sketchy." Its close to the metro, has lots of shops, restaurants to go to and has lots of people walking around so good for sitting at cafes and people watching. Yes, the old Jury's is now the Dupont Hotel. Can't beat that location.

The Willard is a lovely hotel, but not as close to a metro if u want to use that at all. Les Halles is no longer in business.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM

I also think Dupont Circle may not be the best choice in your situation. It's very busy and has lots of young people around, so mayb eit will be interesting to you, but it's not the area I would pick to stay with elderly parents myself. It might be okay in some ways, except it sounds like you are thinking your elderly parents are going on the metro? don't think so, that metro is one of the scariest in the world, I really don't think you should do that. I get vertigo just going down the escalator (which is very very steep and very long, one of the longest in the world), I would never in a million years take 80 year olds on it, especially one with mobility problems.

It might be okay otherwise, if you don't plan to use the metro.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM

Metro is one of the scariest in the world? That's just completely untrue.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Christina must be suffering from an abundance of hyperbole.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM

IMHO with parents that age I would do cabs - which will limit the walking to what you want to see/do rather then trekking to and fro the Metro. (But can't imagine how anyone can think the DC metro is scary - unless you're afraid of people, trains and escalators. the NYC subway has almost all stairs - sometimes several flights and often narrow and steep - any escalator would be an improvement.)

for hotels - what is your budget. Dupont Circle is central - but if you have the money there are nicer places to stay.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM

Especially given that $ is not an issue (did you read the OP nytraveler?), I'd look at the Williard or the Hay Adams and use cabs for transportation. As mentioned, the Westin and the JW Marriott near the Willard are good choices too.

Diversity = Gay? Was that your point Ackislander?
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM

sketchy?

haha
If you think white people, brown people, gay people, straight people are sketchy, then I guess so.

Are you afraid the oldies might see two guys holding hands and keel over?
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM

<that metro is one of the scariest in the world>
And that's the funniest thing I ever read!
Maybe in Bizarro World, clean and safe and well-lit and equipped with escalators and elevators equals "scary". But it doesn't in mine.
It may be too strenuous for the old to handle, but it isn't scary.
Christina, perhaps if you were able to conquer your fears and use the Metro on occasion, you wouldn't be tempted to run over pedicabs with your car.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM

>>the oldies
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM

Maybe it's all those Metroriders with college degrees and the $100k salaries Christine finds scary.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-45265152.html

If you are afraid of heights or whatever, keep it to yourself. Not everybody is a scardy cat
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM

Did Christina perhaps mean that the Q Street escalator to the Dupont Metro station is scary? If so, she may be right -- that is one very long escalator and might intimidate some with balance problems.
But Metro as a whole is not at all scary unless you find yourself trying to transfer between Green/Yellow and Red at Gallery Place during the crush at 5:30pm.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification on Les Halles, yestravel- what a bummer that it is closed, I loved that place.

It sounds to me like the mother is not going to want to walk much. I still think the area around the Willard, JW Marriott and Westin is good, as they will be closer and have shorter cab rides to the Smithsonian museums where I think the father wants to go (if those are in fact the museums) and they can easily can short distance to the Penn Quarter area for numerous restaurants, along w/the lovely Willard Room at the hotel and the several restaurants within one block of the hotels.

Dupont is great if you have mobility, but it is really a walking neighborhood and one where it makes sense to stay if you are taking metro. It doesn't sound like the mother will want to walk enough to use metro and her feet as modes of transportation.

Would your Mom use a wheelchair to visit the museums? Just a thought. You can rent one here in D.C., have it delivered to your hotel, and take it in a cab to the museums. Otherwise too bad that she will miss out on seeing them w/your father.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Metro, scary??? huh? The escalator that kayd describes is steep, but one could take the elevator.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM

In light of Les Halles being closed, Cafe du Park next to the Willard is a nice French Bistro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -