Where to stay in DC ? Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip that will begin with 4-5 days in DC in early to mid Oct. I have done alot of research and still have no idea where to stay. We are a family of four, kids ages 3 and 18 months (well behaved). Definitely want very nice accomodations, but not stuffy and welcoming to kids. We will need 2 cribs and either a large room or a suite. I can splurge a bit but not totally over the top prices. Mainly, we want a relaxing time with our kids, easy access to metro and not alot of travel in cabs(no carseats)We will want to do Smithsonian, monuments, and zoo/aquarium. Also, I don't want to travel too far to restaurants. I read horrible reviews of the Loews L'Enfant and that scared me away. Otherwise their programs for kids were appealing (cribs,toys, and child proofed rooms). This is our first vacation in over 3 years and I really want to do it right. Also, fun things to do with kids (1.5 & 3) I might not have read about. Please help, I welcome any and all suggestions! Thanks so much!!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM

We are trying out New Hampshire Suites Hotel (Best Western) this time around- three beds- it seemed hard to find more than just double doubles- this inn has a queen, a double and a pull out sofa- the rooms seem large and have a kitchenette, wireless internet and breakfast.
I notice the rates have gone up since we booked---summer looks less expensive than in October-- I will write when we get back next week becuase I am not to sure at this point where the hotel is in relation to other sites--we usually walk wherever we go...
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, please let me know how you like it!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Also, everyone, what about the safety of the different areas of town?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Is a pool a must?

If not I'd recommend the Homewood Suites on Mass Ave, great for families...or One Washington Circle.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:42 PM

babiesmama, please see the current thread in this forum on the One Washington Circle hotel, especially the comment on the size and facilities of their suites and their welcoming attitude towards small children. It's just a couple of blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro station, from which you would have quick one-train service to Smithsonian station. Not an inexpensive hotel, but not one of DC's priciest either.

For more inexpensive accommodations just as Metro-convenient, check out the Holiday Inn Key Bridge or Best Western Key Bridge a block or so from the Rosslyn Metro station, one stop (less than five minutes) farther out on the same Metro lines (Orange and Blue) as the Foggy Bottom station, just across the Potomac River in Arlington, Virginia. Despite the very short extra ride time, because many tourists do not think of staying in Virginia, your accommodation dollar buys a lot more on the other side of the river. The Holiday Inn has a rooftop restaurant, open for three meals a day I think, with a great view of the river and the Monuments which I think you and the kids would enjoy, whichever of these hotels you stay at (the Best Western, just steps away, has no restaurant of its own, I believe.) There are also food stands and fast foods next to the Metro station.

At any of the three hotels and two Metro stops mentioned above, you'd find the walk to Metro safe and pleasant (although you'd need to cross less heavy traffic at Rosslyn.)
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:16 AM

Also check out The Churchill -- it is an "all suite" hotel and I think it is often available on priceline. I lived there many years ago when it was an apartment building. It is on Connecticut Ave across from the big Hilton (where Reagan was shot) and a short walk to Dupont Circle. There are tons of restaurants along Connecticut Ave. A couple of umbrella strollers and you should be fine.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi y'all thanks so much for the advice, No, a pool is not a must, we have one here at home. I have checked out One Washington Circle a bit, but not into rates yet. Where can I get the best rate, internet booking or calling directly? Also, I was planning to bring a large double stroller, but I imagine that 2 umbrellas would be less bulky. Good idea! One other thing, do we need a car while we are there? We were going to rent one for the second part of the trip, nor including DC. Thanks for all the help, I so appreciate it!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Also, what internet sites are the best for getting a good rate?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:20 AM

We stayed at the Williard w/2 kids,it was very nice w/ large rooms and a great location. Is your 3 year old still in a crib?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Eva

Capital Reservations is an excellent site for getting good rates throughout DC.
I have used them many times. my recommendation for a neighborhood would be the Dupont Circle area. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance and places like CVS for those last minute items. the neighborhood is safe for walking around. There is also a metro station there.
The National Geographic Society is within walking distance and has an exhibit on dogs right now. The zoo is a couple of stops away on the metro. We were there last week--be sure to get to the elephant house for the 10 a.m. "bath" for the baby elephant.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 06:37 AM

Babies:

Its not necessary to stay in D.C. to have accessibility to sights. I'd suggest Rosslyn's Holiday Inn. I stayed there way back in 1990 and enjoyed my stay because I was just over the Potomac River from D.C. Also, as I remember it, there were restaurants all around the area and this area is relatively safe (I never felt threatened by crime). The Metro Blue Line (which has the Smithsonian stop) was about 2-3 blocks away from this hotel and it took about 15 min tops to get into D.C. You might want to check it out on the Holiday Inn website or do a search on Lodging.com re: hotels in Rosslyn, VA. I wouldn't suggest hotels too far out. If you wouldn't want to stay in VA, I'd suggest Bethesda, MD, on or very near Wisconsin Avenue as there are many places you can dine at because the avenue is filled with restaurants and shops. I remember taking this avenue all the way down to Georgetown and seeing block after block of places to eat and shop.

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM

We stayed at the Doubletree Suites on New Hampshire Ave last month. We had a suite with bedroom, living room with sofa bed and full kitchen. The kitchen allowed us to eat breakfast and several suppers in the room, a real money saver with kids (ours are 11 & 14). The Foggy Bottom metro is 5 minutes away. Very friendly staff. We paid $149 a night booking through the motel website. I always check multiple internet booking sites whenever we travel and have never found a lower price than booking directly through the hotel with a AAA discount. (Never used Priceline)
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Mgmargate,
Thanks, I will check out the Willard. This is a special trip for us. DH is selling business after 20 long years of hard work and we definitely want this to be special. Yes, she is only 2.5 now, but will be three by the time of the trip, and she LOVES her crib at home. She doesn't even show signs of wanting a big girl bed. I thought about having her sleep with one of us, but I don't think that would work. She won't even do that at home. Definitely wants her own space. Besides, I don't want to set a precedent, do I?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

The Willard looks gorgeous!! I am definitely leaning towards staying there. Did anyone else have alot of trouble with noise therre?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Where did the noise issue come from?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

On tis website, I saw reviews from people who had gone there and said the walls were paper thin, that you could hear the people in the next room's conversation. I have stayed in a noisy Fairmont once and never want to do it again, esp. w/ kids napping, sleeping etc... my son is an angel 99% of the time but if you wake him up before he is ready...look out. Did you have noise issues?
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM

No noise issues. It's an old historic hotel,that review is nonsense.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM

We tried the Hay Adams on our last trip and while nice the room was 1/3rd smaller than the Williard and the lobby is tiny.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Mgmargate,

Thanks so much. I am still leaning toward the Willard. Checking availability. The Hay Adams doesn't look like a place for small children. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -