Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay in DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-in-dc-833244/)

cdharr0 Mar 29th, 2010 06:48 AM

Where to stay in DC

I am looking for a hotel that is close to it all. This is some last minute planning and we will be going to DC and will have 3 or 4 days there in April. It seems as if all the other suggested hotels have booked. So, I guess I will have to settle for whatever hotel is available. Any suggestions on a short notice that will still be a good choice for a family of 4. What does anyone know about the Embassy Suite Convention Center?
It says it is a new hotel with a good location? Any other ideas? Price really isn't a huge factor we would be willing to pay for location. But will need at least 2 beds.

vjpblovesitaly Mar 29th, 2010 06:51 AM

No hotel is close to it all.

Yes, the Embassy Suites Convention Center is in a good location

stumpworks73 Mar 29th, 2010 07:06 AM

Residence Inn Dupont Circle should be considered as well. Walking distance of the White House, nearby Metro Station. Great restaurant area. Residence has a family friendly format.

theatrelover Mar 29th, 2010 09:39 AM

We've stayed at the George Washington University Inn which is near George Washington University. Very close to the Metro. Easy to walk various places. Lovely large rooms. We also stayed at the Doubletree near the Kennedy Center which was nice. The J.W. Marriott is a great location but can be a bit expensive. Right near the White House. We've also stayed at the Crystal City Marriott and gotten great rates there. You can't walk anywhere but the Metro has a stop right under the hotel.

AGF324 Mar 29th, 2010 09:52 AM

Dupont Circle is a great area, but it's a big club scene in the evenings. Depending on the age of your children, you may or may not like that. Not sure if they are booked, but The Willard and new W hotel are lovely and the location is great. Rigth next to the White House and an easy walk to all the museums/memorials on the National Mall.

If you don't mind using the metro, there are also plenty of good options in the Rosslyn area of Arlington. Rosslyn is directly across the Potomac from Georgetown and DC. It's on the Orange and Blue lines of the metro, which would put you close to many of the big attractions. Many hotels in Rosslyn offer nice views of the memorials as well. There are some good restaurant options right in the area too. The metro ride from Rosslyn to the Smithsonian area, for example, wouldn't take long at all. You could also check out the Crystal City and Pentagon City areas - slightly further than Rosslyn, but lots of hotel options. Good luck!

dgarland Mar 29th, 2010 11:20 AM

The Hay-Adams is right across Lafayette Park from the White House. Historical hotel where the President stayed before inauguration. It's pricey but wonderful service and great location. The Soffitt is also near the White House, as is the Willard Intercontinental. All within walking distance of the White House, the Metro, the Mall and Museums. You won't need a car as long as you are near the Metro.

nycreba Mar 29th, 2010 11:30 AM

Can help better with a few more details. What location is valuable to you? Metro access? White House area? Do you need to be in DC...? Sometimes more affordable options are a quick metro ride away in Virginia.

A search on Quikbook for 4 days in late April (I don't know your exact dates?) for 2 adults and 2 children came back with reasonable offerings at the Dupont Hotel on Dupont Circle (used to be Jury's, now redone, right across the circle to the red line metro stop), the Renaissance M hotel in Foggy Bottom (close to blue/orange/red trains and a quick walk to many sites) and several of the Kimpton Hotels, which are usually kiddo friendly and located all over the district.

Seems you have many options although I'm unsure about being close to it all - can't be in proximity to White House, monuments, museums, zoo & etc all at once!

Vivid01 Mar 29th, 2010 11:58 AM

Harrington House http://www.hotel-harrington.com/index.htm is a little known hotel that is directly across from the White House and is very inexpensive. It is very often used by school groups on field trips. It's an old place with no AC but you won't need that in April. Save your cash for food and souvenirs..this is a nice cheap stay :)

kayd Mar 29th, 2010 12:34 PM

The Harrington is at 11th and E, about five blocks from the White House. It is centrally located, inexpensive, and popular with backpackers and high school groups, but not often recommended for families with children. The Hay-Adams is directly across from the WH, but it is a totally different category from the Harrington.

sf7307 Mar 29th, 2010 12:42 PM

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend the Hay-Adams for families with children either (lovely very upscale hotel, not the kind of place you expect a lot of children, and if they make noise at all, I think it would not be appreciated)

Christina Mar 29th, 2010 02:23 PM

The Harrington is very well known, it's listed in all the cheap guidebooks and books cheap tour groups. It's a dump, but if you want something dirt cheap, it should work and is a good location. These recommendations are all over the place, no one who would stay at the Hay Adams would be caught dead in the Harrington.

The Embassy Suites is fine.

Rich Mar 29th, 2010 02:25 PM

We stay in Alexandria and ride the Metro into the Mall. Takes 20-30 mins but lets us avoid driving in heavy traffic and Alexandria is a lovely place to be in the evenings.

The Embassy Suites is directly across the street from the Metro station and very comfortable

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...ginia/index.do

MikeT Mar 29th, 2010 03:08 PM

If money isn't an issue and you are concerned about location, don't stay all the way out in Alexandria. There are plenty of locations that are much closer. That Embassy Suites Convention Center is a good spot.

cdharr0 Mar 29th, 2010 07:24 PM

The only time I have been to Dc was about 20 years ago one time. I don't remember much about it. So, I guess we will want to catch all the major sites in the city. Then we might want to see Mount Vernon? We will be there approximately (we have some flexibility) April 7-11.