WHERE TO STAY IN DC??

Search

WHERE TO STAY IN DC??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHERE TO STAY IN DC??

Now before you guys yell at me about not looking at previous posts - I have. My wife and I will be in DC for the first time for about 4 days the first week of January. We wont have a car. Want a hotel kinda in the middle of things and near the metro. We want to see the usual monuments (Washington, Lincoln, etc.), the war memorials, the Smithsonian (or part of it), etc.
Can I assume a good metro map will note what attraction is near the station? Hotels and air will be either Orbitz or Expedia unless you guys have a better idea.
Would like to see outside of Whitehouse. Dont care if I see "W" - If I want to do that I will just drive over to Crawford.
You guys have been very helpful in the past with our little ventures into Europe. I really appreciate anything to keep in mind or avoid. Thanks.
shrink
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM

Hay Adams or Willard Hotel. What's your price range?

Steve R
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Shrink,

Start here: http://www.stationmasters.com/

Click on the Metro System Map and then click on the following 5 stations:

Dupont Circle
Farragut North
McPhearson Sqaure
Metro Center
Gallery PL-Chinatown

On each of the five station neighborhood maps above, hotels will appear as red or dark grey squares. Any hotel on any of the above maps will be convvenient to sightseeing and , of course, a Metro station.

Any good DC tourist street map (Streetwise, National Geographic, Insite Fleximap, Let's Go, Rough Guide, etc. wil also show MEtro stations. There are also "Metro" maps that only show the subway lines and connections (free from any subway attendant)- these do not show attractions.

Orbitz and Expedia are fine - just know which hotels you are interested in before you use them (from the five Metro station neighborhood maps above).

Also good is - http://www.washingtondchotels.com/
Again, have a list of hotel choices ready first.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks to the pros on here, we recently enjoyed our stay at the Madison in DC. Conveniently located about 3 blocks to the Metro and about 4 or 5 blocks from the White House.

We also stayed at the DC Renaissance. It is also close to the Metro and great restaurants, and while lovely, it does lack the personal charm and service of the Madison. But both are very nice hotels in great locations not far from the Mall.

Bardo provided a great list of restaurants for us, as did repete and others. If you search my name, I'm sure you'll find them.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM

I'm not sure what your budget is.. but I'd recommend the Hay Adams. It's beautiful and has the most comfortable beds. It's literally right across from the White House and within walking distance to all the monuments, memorials, etc.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I would recommend the Hotel Monaco - very near Metro, lots of restaurants, and the Smithsonian Museums/Mall.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Stupid question time.......Does the metro serve all airports in DC?
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM

No, it does not...at least not directly. There is a Metro station at National (Reagan if you must); there is bus service linking Dulles to the Metro.

If you are considering the area of the Hay Adams and the Willard you might also consider the JW Marriott which may be cheaper than the Willard despite being directly across the street from it.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM

There is also a Metro bus from BWI airport express to the Greenbelt Metro subway station. The B-30 bus runs from outside the terminal to Greenbelt every 40 minutes, 7 days a week, costs $3 (have one-dollar bills ready), and takes about 30 minutes.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Look for restaurant recs on this thread, including Bardo's awesome guide which lists Metro stations and the great restaurants near each station.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34883062
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 01:24 PM

a few years ago we stayed in the L'enfant Plaza Hotel - it was very convenient to the Mall, Holocaust Museum, Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian and other things - you might want to check out their web page -
it was also extremely convenient to metro (downstairs/ shopping mall/ ) -
not a small charming hotel by any means, but we stayed there needing 4 rooms and the internet rates were great; the rooms had a wonderful view, and were clean and in perfect condition.

lenfantplazahotel.com
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Here's a list of nice hotels I've stayed at in DC at least 2x and found über convenient to everything:

Renaissance Mayflower - on Connecticut Avenue, get off on Farragut North on the Red Line. Metro stop on the same block as the hotel. One of the grandest historic hotels around (in terms of size), and one of my favorites (in terms of convenience).

Grand Hyatt - MetroCenter metro stop right under the hotel.

Metrocenter Marriott - also on the MetroCenter metro stop, but the stop is right outside the hotel, so you'd actually have to brave the elements! *gasp*

Sofitel Lafayette Square - on 15th Street and H Street, the MacPherson Square metro stop right across the street. The Hays Adams is a block away on 16th Street and H Street.

Renaissance DC - 2 blocks from the Gallery Place metro stop on 9th Street. Nice hotel, area around hotel started out grungy but is getting hipper by the minute.

Hotel Monaco - around the block from the Gallery Place metro stop. Conveniently located across the street from the Spy Museum and Jaleo, which is a great tapas place. You can get a borrowed goldfish from the hotel if you should find yourself lonely for a pet.

St. Regis - Located a bit away from metro stops (toss up between MacPherson Sq and Farragut North metro stops) on 16th and K streets, it is a hotel I love staying at, whenever I can get a good rate. Others have had shoddy rooms and service there, but I've had only the best, so I count myself very lucky and won't be pushing my luck too much.

JW Marriot and Willard are across the street from each other on 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. They are about a 10 minute walk to the MetroCenter train station, or a 10 minute walk to Federal Triangle. For some reason, I just prefer to walk to MetroCenter than Federal Triangle. These 2 are the closest to the Mall for the Smithsonian museums and the Washington, Lincoln, and WWII memorials, therefore closest walks to the great lawn of the White House. The JW is more fresh and brighter than the Willard, though the rooms are tinier. The Willard's staff give you more attention and is more opulent, and is one of my fav places to stay otherwise.

National Airport is served by the metro line (yellow and blue lines), which I find very convenient.

Dulles can be gotten to on the Washington Flyer http://www.washfly.com/faqs.htm
and schedule http://www.washfly.com/metro.htm

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM

The Cirque du Soleil was setting up directly across the street from the DC Renaissance while we were there in October. You might want to see if it'll still be there while you are visiting. Might be a good show to see.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:04 PM

This has nothing to do with proximity to the metro, but DC is not huge. Try the Georgetown Ritz. In winter it is the coziest hotel in DC, with lovely lobby fireplace. Marvelous location for walking about Georgetown. It is not at all like any other Ritz. It has cool elegance, good service. One block from the waterfront. Easy walk to Kennedy Center. The connector bus comes by frequently and loops to the monuments and connects to metro. This place is a gem.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 03:27 AM
emd

St. Regis is closed til fall 2007 for extensive renovations. Must be really extensive, as they auctioned of almost everything in the interior of the hotel before they started renovating last Sept.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM

www.inn-dc.com
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:17 PM

You're right, emd. The St. Regis is out of commission for now, and I totally forgot.