Where to stay in DC?

Search

Where to stay in DC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in DC?

Going to Washington D.C. for a long weekend. Looking for advice on the best areas to stay as far restaurants, safety, public transportation, sightseeing. Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:02 AM

You might want to search the boards and check out the many past threads on visiting DC. Or at least tell us what time of year you'll be visiting, your hotel budget, and types/budget of restaurants you prefer.

Unfortunately, restaurants and sightseeing in DC aren't particularly compatible. There aren't many good restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the monuments/memorials and the Smithsonians.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 09:26 AM

Stay in Dupont Circle. Good restaurants, shops and a metro stop. Georgetown is nice but isn't convenient to the metro.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
ita

We recently stayed at a wonderful b&b at Dupont Circle-the Dupont at the Circle Inn: www.dupontat the circle.com. It was charming, the price was reasonable for that area and the location-2 short blocks from the subway-couldn't be better. I would highly recommend it.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
cnn

I beg to differ Anonymous. Old Ebbit Grille located near the Hotel Washington is across the street from the WH. The Hotel has wonderful nighttime views of the monuments and the Old Ebbit Grill, a historic landmark that has been serving wonderful meals (a super Sunday brunch) for decades. Monday through Friday, it is a popular place for the power lunch. Nested between the Hotel Washington and the Ebbit Grill is the metro station.

Right now Hotel Washington is offering a family of four overnight accommodations with breakfast for 145. per night.

http://www.hotelwashington.com
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM

Wow. That reads like an ad.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:12 PM

I think anywhere around Farragut North would fit the OP's objectives. It's walking distance to the WH, and a quick metro ride off to the Smithsonians.

I'm there often for work, and my preferred place is the Farragut North area (Mayflower), then the Willard (14th and Pennsylvania). Dupont Circle is just ever so slightly north of Farragut North, and is my boss' area of preference.

Although as I single woman I found it safe, I would avoid the convention area around the Gallery Place station unless you're keen on Chinese food. The walk getting to Jaleo (a favorite of mine) is a little sparse otherwise, but it's just a block or 2 from the Metro station.

If you're going to be visiting the Zoo for Pandamania, I would recommend getting off the Metro at Cleveland Park and walking down Connecticut Ave, where there are lots of restaurants. You'll know you're getting closer to the Zoo when the restaurants start disappearing.

Wyatt92 is right about Georgetown, the closest metro is Foggy Bottom, and while it's a nice walk during the spring and fall months, it's quite a trek at other times.

What time of year are you thinking of going?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there in March. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM

Consider staying just outside of DC; Chevy Chase MD has a nice Holiday Inn and an Embassy Suites. You are in the Friendship Heights area, which is on the subway line; you will have easy access to everything you will want to see in DC. Chevy Chase/ Bethesda also has a wide variety of restaurants, and you don't have to go very far. I also think it's a safer place to be.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM

Chevy Chase (Friendship Hts Metro) is a fine location, but a 20 minute subway ride to the Mall (for instance). Bethesda is even futher out and a really dull area.

As for safety, any area where most tourists are going to stay is going to be perfectly safe.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM

I agree with Hotel Washington - right in the middle of everything, walking distance to monuments. Can take a cab to Union Station, the Capital, etc.. To get around to even more, check out the tour mobile (tourmobile.com). For $20, you can take advantage of riding it all day, getting on and off at all the stops, as many times as you want.

There are a few more restaurants just down Pensylvania that were not mentioned: Elephant & Castle (english pub), Tenh Penh and more. You will also be within walking distance to the Hard Rock Cafe, ESPN Zone, John Harvards. A short cab ride to the area near the MCI center (probably an eight dollar ride) where there are many great places to eat. Check out Zaytinya for an ecclectic Tapas place.

8-)
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hotel Washington has a superb location near the White House and monuments, but when my out of town relatives stayed there last summer, they found it quite shabby (worn carpets, one elevator out of service for more than a day, old plumbing). They chose it knowing it might not be the greatest, but took the chance because they got a great last-minute rate. Read reviews on Tripadvisor.com, and decide whether the place is for you.

I generally recommend the Dupont area as the city's best combination of access to everything (metro, walking and taxis), atmosphere for evening strolling, and most varied dining options. However, the metro center-gallery place area is fast becoming another lively restaurant-entertainment district, so I wouldn't rule it out.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM

I lived in Rosslyn, VA for a semester last year and loved the location. I know there is a Hyatt Regency hotel there that was pretty nice, although I'm not sure about the price.
There is a metro stop right there, misc restaurants such as Ruby Tuesday, and it's a decent walk across the Key Bridge to Georgetown, or a shorter walk the other way to a back entrance of Arlington Cemetary. From there you can cross over another bridge (not sure of the name) to the back of the Lincoln Memorial, on the mall. You'd only be a few blocks from Iwo Jima, from which there is an amazing view of the city at night. If you are able to walk at least a mile or two a day, I would highly recommend this location.. haven't been to the ones others mentioned though...
For transportation, I loved the metro! It's so convienent and simple to understand, for the most part. Use the Smithsonian stop to get to the mall - it's right in the center of everything.
Have fun! I love DC and can't wait to move back!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM

We just stayed at the Hotel Washington in July and had a wonderful stay. Very comfortable room with a view of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial. I believe we paid $199 per night but the hotel is so centrally located you can walk to almost everything.
The metro is the best system in the country. Safe, clean, and easy to use. It will take you virtually anywhere except the cathedral.
For dining options, we ate at Tenpenh and the DC Coast, both within walking distance of the Hotel Washington, and loved both.
As far as safety, just use common sense. We walked around the monuments at 12:00am and felt perfectly safe.
For an out of the ordinary attraction, try the International Spy Museum.

Have a great trip.