Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Big Bear/Snow Summit, California to ski?

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lodging choices are pretty dismal!!! Anyone have any good recs? Getting a condo seems like a pain in the a-- for 3 nights.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

anyone??
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
lvk

If you think the lodging is dismal, wait until you try the dining options. You might want to rent a condo, just so you can eat in.

Big Bear has mostly motel-type properties. We have found that AAA is awfully generous with the diamonds they bestow on some of them. The North Woods Resort is probably one of the less "tired" properties.

For Condos, you can't beat www.snowsummittownhouses.com/ for location, right at the mountain. Some of the units are very, very dated, but a few have been updated. If you decide to go this route, check to make sure they provide linens and you don't need to bring your own.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM

***Lodging choices are pretty dismal!!!***

That is the only reason I don't spend more time there. Sorry.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM

There are lots of cabins available on VRBO. We stayed in one we found that way several years back. I tried to find the info but I think I tossed it, and who knows what kind of condition it's in now.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are plenty of better ski areas in the US that have much better lodging options.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I know from your other threads that this a SoCal-centric trip. I personally would not plan a trip around skiing at Big Bear in Dec. There might be a decent snow base . . . or practically none.

I'd consider dropping the skiing bit.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM

I agree with janisj - Big Bear is ok, but not great. There are much better places to ski in California. If you feel you have to go to Big Bear, you might consider staying in Lake Arrowhead instead and drive over on occasion to the ski slopes at Big Bear.

Lake Arrowhead is nicer and more upscale. You might also check out The UCLA conference center which is open for public accommodations Sept thru May. We've been many times over the last 26 years and love it.

http://www.lakearrowheadmeetings.com...lery/index.cfm
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:26 AM

If you are going to be in Big Bear over the holidays you do not want to drive from Lake Arrowhead to go skiing. One New Year's weekend in Big Bear it took over an hour to get back from the grocery store and it was only 3 miles! Every one and their mother heads up there if there's skiing.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

People, I promised my 9 year old. I can't back out! We have to go. What about some of the B&Bs? Any hope there?
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM

"People, I promised my 9 year old. I can't back out! "

A promise to go skiing in Dec may have been a mistake. That is awfully early at Big Bear. And IF you are lucky and there is enough snow it will be crowded.

If skiing is that important, you may need to head north. Tahoe, Mammoth, etc.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM

Everyone, that discussion was "already had". The decision was to go to Big Bear. Now the question is where to stay, not whether there will be snow!
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM

But miamibeachmomma just explained she promised her 9 yo she would go skiing. That may not be an option - unless they go somewhere else.

Just because someone wants to do something doesn't mean they necessarily can.

Just like someone going to SF in June and insisting they want beachy weather. Probably ain't gonna happen . . . .
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM

I guess my point is the OP has already been told that expecting snow at Big Bear in December is an iffy proposition at best, and has decided to go anyway.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM

MBMomma the intent of my post wasn't to discourage you from going to Big Bear. If the odd weather that we are having now continues like it did last year, you'll end up with great ski conditions. Keep your fingers crossed.

Skiing is a CA. tradition over the holidays and lots of people hit the slopes. I've seen traffic crawl in Lake Tahoe also. I haven't spent the holidays in Mammoth but I'm sure it's packed there too. No matter where you go there will be a crowd. Just don't waste your time staying in Lake Arrowhead and live to regret it; you'll be tired after a day of skiing and it gets congested when people are heading back to their lodging after a long day on the slopes, people are leaving or coming into town, along with the not using your brains grocery shoppers.

If I knew of some great lodging with value I'd be happy to recommend it. Demand is high and the holidays are peak season so they can charge $$$$ for shacks. Our last couple of stays were in a private home of a friend, business associate or from a charity auction; otherwise they were below our standards.

My best suggestion would be to post a question on TripAdvisor and see if anyone has recently stayed somewhere they liked. In the interim maybe someone here will come along with something.

Have you looked at any of lvk's suggestions?

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone posting to this thread. If so many people are trying to steer us away from Big Bear in December there has to be good reason. I am rethinking the possibilities.....

One idea we have is as follows....

Since I haven't booked any hotels yet I am free to move around the itinerary....

Move the 3 Big Bear days to the beginning of the trip, not on a weekend and not too close to Christmas.

Add those days to our LA stay but in a different location. If the ski conditions are great drive to Mtn. High or Mt. Baldy for the day. Give the kids snowboarding lessons (that's what they really want to try) and drive back to LA at night. If they love it go back the next day - if they hate it - move on to something else. If the conditions aren't favorable - we aren't stuck anywhere and we can just see more of the LA area.

We would break up the LA portion of the trip to 3 nights at the beginning and 3 nights at the end.

The end we plan on staying in Santa Monica - maybe at the Fairmont or Loews.

For the first stay I was thinking Laguna/Newport/Huntington area, but I'm open to ideas of where would be a good location to stay if we want to drive to day ski but also a good location to stay if that doesn't work out.

We had also thought about staying at the Kimpton Palomar for either of the LA stays.

I know it sounds complicated - but I think it solves the issues that everyone has been warning me about.

We are also plan on visiting some friends while we are out there so we can always spend more time with them wherever we choose to stay (they live near Westwood, but they are new to LA and don't know the answers to all these kinds of questions.)

Thanks again!!!!
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:04 AM

I agree socaloc, I didn't realize that skiing was the sole reason they would be going to Big Bear. If they plan to go skiing everyday (which apparently they do) it would be too long of a drive.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Thought you might be interested in this.

http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/news/a...cc4c002e0.html
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM

I'm at Boreal in Tahoe right now and it is dumping snow.
I think snow at Big Bear in Dec is a safe bet. (YEAH SNOW!!!!!)
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM

They already have a few runs open at Big Bear/Snow Summit and another storm is on the way this weekend. You should be find. It's fairly tame skiing - but fine for beginners or getting your legs back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information