Notices

Where to stay in Bangkok

Apr 12th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Bangkok

My son (24 years old) and I are traveling to Bangkok in May. We are looking for a trendy hotel (similar to the W or Andaz brand) in a great locations. Any suggestions?
Apr 12th, 2016, 08:51 AM

You should post this on the Asia forum . . .
Apr 12th, 2016, 11:00 AM

Since most of the posters here have never been to Bangkok.
Apr 12th, 2016, 11:07 AM

nytraveler, No one here has been to Thailand? Really??
Apr 12th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Did not say no one. Said many (most) - and how does anyone know who has or hasn;t? It's not like London or Paris where many, many travelers go.

And this should be in the Asia board where people are much more likely to have ben to Bangkok.
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:35 PM

Fodor's must have stepped in since I see this is now ON the Asia forum.

Actually among my own social circles I know more people who've been to Bangkok than to London or Paris.
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:37 PM

"May 28, 2013 - Thailand's capital is expected to receive 15.98 million tourists in 2013, compared to London's 15.96 million and Paris's 13.92 million, according to MasterCard's latest Global Destination Cities Index."
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:43 PM

I like Hansar, it's in a nice location close to a sky train but away from the crazy traffic.
I have stayed in Bangkok several times, what is your budget to help us give you good suggestions....
Apr 13th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Especially for first time visitors, I highly recommend staying along the river. Lots of choices.
Apr 13th, 2016, 08:10 PM

To answer the question, I vote for The Hansar. I've stayed there and also rent a condo steps away. Great neighborhood and location. Was last there in Dec 2015/Jan 2016. That's one of my regular neighborhoods since the 1990s.

Happy Travels!
Apr 13th, 2016, 09:29 PM

Forgot to post the links.

http://www.hansarhotels.com/hotels/bangkok/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...l-Bangkok.html

Happy Travels!
Apr 14th, 2016, 06:41 AM

I agree with Kathie. Especially for a first time visitor you want to be on the river. Need to know your budget in order to make a recommendation.

@suze - most posters on Fodors are American. What percentage of those visitor numbers are American? Your friends' visits are anecdotes, not data.
Apr 14th, 2016, 08:12 AM

If you like W hotels why not stay at the W Bangkok?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3258

The river is a great location, but I wouldn't describe any of the hotels around there as especially trendy.

We enjoyed our recent stay at Hotel Muse Langsuan http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...on/index.shtml

Small but cosy cocktail bar for club room guests, a couple of good restaurants on site. It is close to The Hansar and we tossed a coin between the two. Glad we chose Muse did as they upgraded us to the penthouse suite!
Apr 14th, 2016, 09:20 AM

As for staying on the river, it's not for everyone. I didn't stay on the river as a first-time visitor back in the 90s and don't regret it at all. I have stayed on the river, to try it out, as in the Pen, Oriental, and Royal Orchid Sheraton, but am perfectly happy with not staying in that area.

Happy Travels!
Apr 14th, 2016, 09:31 AM

Crellston: I've bookmarked the Hotel Muse Langsuan. Thanks for posting it. I might try it out when I return on the 2016/2017 trip. Although I've stayed at either serviced apartments or condos since 2005, I still try out different hotels for one night staycations. I just leave my stuff at the apartment or condo and then take one-night stays at a few hotels to try different ones out, along with their restaurants, so that I can recommend different ones to friends who might be going over for either the first time or for a return stay.

I think the Hotel Muse is walking distance from The Hansar Hotel. I might be living in the Hansar Hotel as my regular condo has already been booked, by someone else, for two of the three weeks that I need starting in Dec 2016.

Happy Travels!
Apr 14th, 2016, 09:41 AM

Where to stay does depend a lot on what one plans to do in Bangkok. Super-shoppers like Carol don't want to be on the river, and you are similar, Guenmai, but for those going to see the temples, the river is the best place to stay. Easy transport to the major wats via water taxi, and being by the river makes it less hot and the air is cleaner, as the pollution isn't being held in by the canyons of tall buildings.

To each one's own.
Apr 14th, 2016, 09:51 AM

It's not only about shopping, but whether one wants to be in the heart of a city or not. I love being in the heart of the city, but still go up and down, on the river taxi, to the places that I need to get to on the river. Plus, it's easy with the sky train that goes to the river anyway which is why I just try to stay near a sky train station. I don't know what the OP's travel interests are for Bangkok.

Different strokes for different folks.

Happy Travels!
Apr 14th, 2016, 01:19 PM

I know spilt my time in BKK as I am a shopper but I LOVE Thai life on the river!!
So we normally stay in city at the beginning and river at the end of the holiday...
Apr 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM

When friends/co-workers ask where I'd recommend that they stay, depending on how much time they have and where their main interests are, I suggest for them to also split their time in both areas if they so choose. Then, they can decide which suited them best.

Plus, it also depends on how they want to spend their days/evenings. Personally, I'm out and about all day no matter what part of the city, whether in the city or in the river area. But, after a very long day out, I don't want to be located, on The River, when I'm trying to get to different restaurants that are located not located on The River. I like to be able to easily sky train it to restaurants and stay out as late I want, in the city, and then easily sky train it back to where I'm staying, combined with a short walk, as opposed to possibly being stuck in a taxi or on a river taxi/boat getting back to my accommodations late at night. To each his own.

I wish someone would compile a list of restaurants, on The River, that I can give to friends/co-workers if they decide to stay in that area although most, of the folks I'm in contact with, stay in the city anywhere from Rajadamri/Siam to Thonglor.

Happy Travels!
Apr 14th, 2016, 02:20 PM

Correction: "have stayed in the city anywhere…."

Happy Travels!

Search this Thread