Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to Stay Francis Marion or Embassy Suites (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-francis-marion-or-embassy-suites-127992/)

angie Jun 4th, 2001 09:05 AM

Where to Stay Francis Marion or Embassy Suites

My mom, another female in her 30s and myself are trying to decide where to stay, my mom wants to stay at one of the hotels above. FM is about $165, Embassy $185, but I think Embassy's rooms are bigger and it includes breakfast. I have also consider Ansonborough Inn & Doubletree Suites. We want sort of a large room because there are 3 of us, also want to be close to shoping, restaurants & sightseeing

NotHoudini Jun 4th, 2001 09:33 AM

It would help if we knew which city

angie Jun 4th, 2001 09:43 AM

I thought the City would be listed because I put it under "subject" - Charleston. Thanks, I am going to re-post so it will be in the title.

Rachael Jun 4th, 2001 09:45 AM

I assume you are refering to Charleston SC. I have stayed at the Francis Marion and think the basic rooms there may seem small for 3 people. Also, when I was there (4/01) the common areas of the hotel were in better condition than the rooms. I haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites, but I think it is a newer hotel.

hey Jun 4th, 2001 02:00 PM

I vote for the Embassy Suites. The Francis Marion is classy and historic, but the rooms are tiny (and the bathrooms are tinier) -- not the best situation for three women! <BR> <BR>Although I haven't stayed in the Embassy Suites, the hotel looks great from the outside (the hotel is actually built inside the walls of the old Citadel "fort," built when the military college was downtown, so it actually looks like a light pink castle). And the usual Embassy Suites setup would give you two rooms, plus breakfast -- you'd come out even. <BR> <BR>As far as location goes, the hotels are practically across the street from one another, but the Embassy Suites is a bit closer to the visitor's center and the Charleston Museum. Parking decks for both are nearby but a short walk. <BR> <BR>You should know that, in April, there was construction taking place in the square adjacent to the Embassy Suites and across King Street from the Francis Marion. I'm not sure what they were (are) building or if noise/construction rubble would inconvenience you in any way -- it might be worth checking with the hotel staff. <BR> <BR>If you would be okay with a "regular" hotel room, not a suite, consider the Hampton Inn -- it's right beside the Embassy Suites (between it and the visitor's center) and it's very nice. <BR> <BR>All are walking distance to shopping, dining and sightseeing. If you want to conserve your energy, however, get a one-day DASH pass that lets you get on and off the trolley cars that run between the visitor's center and everywhere in the historic area. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip.

vic osaki Jun 4th, 2001 02:30 PM

I vote for the Embassy Suites. All are two rooms. A small living room and a small bedroom. The living room sofa converts into a bed. There is also a small refrigerator and microwave oven. <BR>It's the only hotel that I know of that serves a hot made to order breakfest including eggs and pan cakes. They also provide very cheap wine in the afternoon in a nondescript area -- not their bar. You really feel like a second class citizen.