Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Where to stay for one night not too far from Newark Airport???
Notices

Where to stay for one night not too far from Newark Airport???

May 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay for one night not too far from Newark Airport???

Hi everyone, we are a couple in our late 20's from N.ireland planning a road trip this summer ( june/july for 23 days) - staying in NYC 3 nights, hiring car and driving to Mystic, CT 1 night, Cape Cod, MA 5 nights, Niagra Falls 1 night and then seeing family in Ohio for 12 nights before driving back to Newark to drop off car and fly home....phew!

I know its a big trip but dont worry we have everything sorted EXCEPT where to stay on our very last night.......this is where i need your help please?

We will be leaving New Philadelphia, OH on 12th July in morning and taking the looong drive close to Newark as this is our departure airport. We dont fly home until a 9pm flight on 13th july so wont be dropping the car back until 4-5pm that day.

We would really like to stay somewhere nice- but Newark seems quite industrial......

We hope to arrive to wherever we stay late in the evening of 12th july- then we have a good portion of next day and still have our car- can anyone suggest nice areas/places to stay in New Jersey?

or could we go to New York somewhere like the Hamptons or Montauk?

Im guessing im probably being a little ambitios here ( i usually am!!) but we are going to be sad to leave family etc after a fab trip so really want something nice to look forward to doing/seeing for our last night and day?

We dont have a very big budget- around $150 (ish) for this last nights stay...

Thanks in advance!
May 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM

The Hamptons and Montauk are very far from Newark Airport. If you are interested in a beach area, then go somewhere in New Jersey such as Spring Lake.
But, IMHO 3 nights in NYC isn't nearly enough so I would turn in the car and take the train back into Manhattan and stay there.
May 8th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Agree that Long Island is not realistic. the far side of NYC and from there to EWR could take you 5 hours in traffic.

NJ has a bunch of beach towns which while not near Newark (you do NOT want to stay there) are much closer. This is fine if you really want to go to the beach - and you're not talking a weekend - when getting a single night can be very difficult.

But - if you just want something to do - NYC has more than enough to last you a month - and if it were me I would do that.
May 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

hey thanks for quick replies!

We dont want to go back into NYC- we are happy with our 3 nights, we'd like to see somewhere different tha isnt too far away.

Had a quick look at Spring Lake, looks nice- any other areas people suggest in NJ? Accomodation recommendations??

Thanks
May 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Although many of the NJ beach towns are nice, my concern is you will be faced with 3-night minimum stays in July, which is their high season. Especially if you are there on a weekend.

You might want to look into New Hope PA, a cute little town on the river with antique shops and such (about an hour's drive from the airport). Or somewhere in the Delaware Water Gap area. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is beautiful to drive through, lots of scenery and nature.
May 8th, 2011, 07:57 AM

You most likely will not get a one stay at the Jersey Shore. Not too mention the traffic there and back. I would not recommend it for a one night stay.
May 8th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

hello capxxx- thankc for your ideas!

we won't be in NJ on a weekend- our stay will be a tuesday night, i hadnt realised the length of stay would be an problem as over here in n.ireland thats never usually an issue- so thanks for the heads up!

ill have a look into the places which you have suggested thanks

any more suggesions much appreciated!
May 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM

As New Jerseyans, our (my wife and I) first thought would be to direct you to the Jersey Shore. However, as others have have mentioned, you may encounter minimum-stay requirements in high season that would preclude your staying there. Also, having visited Cape Cod for five days, you might not want or need to see more seashore.

And, while the Delaware Valley is attractive (where New Hope and the Delaware Water Gap--widely separated--are located), there's another relatively nearby area that is, in my opinion, even more desirable--the Hudson Valley.

Either place is about a nine-hour drive, plus stops, from New Philadelphia, so you won't have a whole lot of time no matter where you stay. Your route eastward is mostly on Interstate 80, and about two-thirds of the way across Pennsylvania, you can take Interstate 84 towards the Beacon/Newburgh, New York area. I wouldn't necessary stay in either of those towns, but I believe there are a great many more choices for you in the Hudson Valley in the limited time you will have on July 13. You'll have about a one-and-a-half-hour trip back to EWR that day from any of the three areas mentioned--Delaware or Hudson Valley, or Jersey Shore.

Here's a link for information about the Hudson Valley: http://www.hudsonvalley.org/
May 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM

How about Philadelphia? You could do some sightseeing in the morning and then go on to Newark. This is good if you like US history. Otherwise, I like the idea of New Hope.
May 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM

I was also going to suggest Princeton NJ - a lot of attractive buildings, decent walking, and about an hour from EWR.
May 9th, 2011, 05:07 AM

By chance you missed this comment on the other thread, try the area around Hershey, PA. Hershey is 10 miles to the east of Harrisburg and an easy drive of a bit over 2 hours on a direct line to Newark Airport via US 78.

Search this Thread