Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay first time on Oahu (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-first-time-on-oahu-959031/)

lifeisanadventure Dec 11th, 2012 05:31 PM

Where to stay first time on Oahu

We are wanting to rent a condo, but are unsure where. Thinking Northshore or Waikiki area which makes more sense? We sort of want quiet but want to close to stuff too. Any advice? It will be us and two grandsons 18 &13 neither interested in nightlife

carolyn Dec 11th, 2012 05:44 PM

We like Waikiki, and I think your grandsons will, too. It is so easy to walk anywhere you like, and the beach is so handy. If you stay somewhere a couple of blocks away from Kalakaua, noise isn't an issue. Last year we stayed at the Aston Waikiki Sunset, 229 Paoakalani Avenue, Phone: 808-922-0511. It is a suite hotel, and we had a one bedroom with twin beds in it and a very comfortable sofa bed in the living area, plus a kitchenette.

simpsonc510 Dec 12th, 2012 04:06 AM

Waikiki would also be my choice. North shore isn't really very close to 'stuff' and you'll be dealing with distance and traffic to get to a number of the tourist attractions, which are in or near to Waikiki area.

garyt22 Dec 12th, 2012 07:01 AM

Just outside Duke's on Waikiki (on the beach) is a surf shack that gives the kids surfing lessons... there's also a photographer (ask the surf shack) that takes amazing pictures of the kids "hangin ten" in the water... you can buy a cd that makes an amazing souvenier...

ChiSue Dec 12th, 2012 07:12 AM

Waikiki. You don't need a car to get around within Honolulu. You can walk or take The Bus. (This would give the boys some freedom.) Do rent a car for at least one day to drive Oahu's beautiful east and north shores. If you'll be in Hawaii more than a week, and are not coming in winter, consider splitting your stay with a few days at Turtle Bay on the north shore.

Is another island an option? There are lots of condos on Maui and Kauai.

lifeisanadventure Dec 12th, 2012 01:56 PM

Thanks all!!

welovemexico Dec 13th, 2012 09:08 AM

We stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. It was very central and quite a nice hotel. The restaurants were very good too.

Tomsd Dec 13th, 2012 10:18 AM

I/we prefer to get condo/guest house on the North Shore - say around Waimea. It's like you are on an outer island.

Just beyond the main part of Waikiki- there is a very ice hotel - with snorkelig in front - the New Otani Kaimana.
http://www.kaimana.com/

suze Dec 13th, 2012 10:34 AM

Definitely stay in Waikiki! With the disclaimer it's not exactly "Quiet" but it is "close to stuff". North Shore is 45-60 mins. away from pretty much everything you'd want to do (in the Honolulu/Waikiki area).

Stay in Waikiki, then day trip around the island. The other advantage is pretty much all the hotels on the island are in Waikiki ;-)

22tango Dec 13th, 2012 11:33 AM

"The other advantage is pretty much all the hotels on the island are in Waikiki"

But they're wanting to rent a condo. And they "sort of want quiet but want to [be] close to stuff too." That sounds like Ka'anapali to me.

So I like Chisue's suggestion in your other thread; spend 3 days in a hotel on Waikiki, then head to Maui for a week in a condo.

wekewoody Dec 13th, 2012 03:52 PM

I agree with 22tango.

nanabee Dec 13th, 2012 03:57 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with 22 tango. I think for their first time in Hawaii there will be more diversity and things to do on Oahu. To me Oahu is more tropical and Hawaiian in feel and culture.

kanunu Dec 23rd, 2012 10:21 AM

A couple of times we heve spent 3 nights in Waikiki, and that was enough for us!
We did, however, spend 5 nights to a week or so, several times at Turtle Bay Resort, or at one of the nearby condos, and we keep going back. We can get our fix of "the big city" (Honolulu/Waikiki) in a couple of day trips.
It all depends what you want in a holiday. I can sum it up quickly, by remembering how we shared a beautiful Hawaiian sunset one evening at Waikiki, with thousands of people. The next night, we enjoyed an equally gorgeous sunset at TBR... and, looking around, couldn't see another person.
What a difference!
We realize that what we like is not what everyone else may prefer, and that's fine. But we love returning to the North Shore, and never run out of interesting things to do. But we always run out of time....

Hawaiigirl1050 Dec 25th, 2012 03:32 PM

We like Waikiki,everything is so close and within walking distance.It is busy and noisy but it is still great.We just returned in October after spending ten days.We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach Hotel and it was wonderful!

Tomsd Dec 25th, 2012 05:03 PM

My first time to Paradise - we spend a few days on Kauai, then were on business during a few days on Oahu - and then spent a few days on Maui. Was 10 or 11 days or so.

There really is no right or wrong - and it mainly depends on your travel outlook: Do you want to see as much as possible the first time - sort of a survey trip - to see where you want to spend more time on your return, or do you want to stay in one place and kick back more?

daisee Jan 1st, 2013 09:35 AM

Stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village!

kauaistyle Jan 1st, 2013 10:25 AM

aloha from Kauai...first time guests should visit Waikiki yet not stay in the heart...if you crave more local ways, head out to the country and stay at north shore Ke Iki cottages or even the Turtle bay...at least there is elbow room to flow and enjoy the beaches away from the hordes. Kailua has vacation rentals right on the bay and are great for relaxation. Waikiki is similar to staying in Huntington beach or Ft Lauderdale. Although epic eateries like Roys and gorgeous hotels like Royal Hawaiian and Halekulani, its all geared to vegas style satisfaction. Fun to see and run the race but i always suggest getting out. DO see the Arizona, Iolani palace and other true Hawaiian historical relevant places. Pack a lunch and drive to north shore early and flow with the day at Waimea,Haleiwa, Sunset beach. Make a basic agenda but allow for unhurried spontaneity is my main suggestion...IF you have to stay in Waikiki, find somewhere closer to Kapiolani park at the outskirts so you can find alittle peace. Just my opinion...some first timers thrive in the big concrete jungle so whatever resonates is all good! have a great time!! a hui ho

kvweid12 Feb 7th, 2013 02:04 PM

When I went to Oahu with my dad and sister, we rented a house. It was on the side of Mt Tantalus, so we had great views of Honolulu from the lanai, and it was definitely quiet and away from all the crazy tourist stuff. But it was only about a 10 minute drive (maybe a little longer during the busy times of day) down into Waikiki. I highly recommend it!

justineparis Feb 21st, 2013 02:53 PM

I vote Waikiki also, your grandkids may wish to have a bit of time away from you, and in Waikiki they can walk around a bit on their own, no need to drive anywhere( assuming you wouldn't let the 18 yr old take the rental car out on his own right?)
Plus if it rains( and yes it does, all that beautiful lush greeny does not come from just the garden hoses!) you can still do stuff, visit the zoo, shop, visit a museum etc, and I also think its a good idea to take the boys to Pearl Harbour, my kids went and they are not American, but its good to see what war is and does, especially this generation that has never had to live through one personally . You can take a public bus to Pearl |Harbour.