Where to stay / eat in & near Santa Fe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's our 10 anniversary - we decided on Santa Fe for the great airfare to ABQ and we hope to see a little snow....We would like a mountain view, spa, and good food...close to shopping....we are renting a car...also need restaurant recs...right now, we have reservations at Bishops Lodge/Spa/Resort....any feedback on this place is greatly appreciated and any other suggestions...our trip is coming up in less than 2 weeks.....thank you so much for your help!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM

THE spa to go to in Santa Fe is Ten Thousand Waves..it is fabulous. We have been there many times.

http://tenthousandwaves.com/
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM

We've stayed at the Bishop's Lodge a couple of times over the years. Basically, I like it but I have two reservations. 1) Make sure to stay in the new sections as opposed to the old section. 2) You definately need the car as it's a hike into town.

You definately will have a great view at the Bishop's Lodge. Plus, you'll be closer to my favorite breakfast place in Santa Fe: The Tesuque Market.
I'd recommend driving to Ghost Ranch, hiking Bandelier, and driving out to Pecos.
Do a search on Santa Fe and you'll find lots more specific ideas/thoughts/recommendations.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM

I am so glad you asked!! Inn of the Anasazi, of course, hands down, way above the rest, etc.
http://www.innoftheanasazi.com/
and make your reservations way in advance.

As far as a memorable anniversary meal, I would not hesitate recommending Geronimo at 724 Canyon Rd, 505-982-1500. Consider yourself lucky if they would be serving elk steak on the eve of your visit. Enjoy!!

I am not crazy about the restaurant at Inn of the Anasazi, even though it is very highly regarded. It is o.k., but not amazing. There is a cute little bar right at the entrance to the Inn and this would be a fine choice to have a pre-dinner drink.

Anna Roz

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:28 AM

Giada from Food Network did a show recently that has some great suggestions and links:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._48704,00.html

Shidoni Brass Foundry is a favorite of mine and breakfast or lunch at Teseque Maarket.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Bishop's Lodge used to be our favorite place to stay. But then it was purchased by a large corporation and now seems to cater to corp. retreats.

The location is great and love the patio fireplace. Also, the trails for riding are nice, especially the 2-hour ride. You will go to a crest and have almost 360 degree views. Absolutely beautiful!! If you are going in the next couple of weeks the horses may not be available.

Book Ten Thousand Waves NOW!!! It is very popular and for a reason -- its absolutely outstanding. Take a hot tub, get a hot stone massage, sit in the sauna -- its all good.

www.tenthousandwaves.com

There are lots of threads for dining so get reservations soon.

Our favorites for fine dining (casual in Santa Fe):
Geronimo
Bistro 315
Santa Cafe

I would make reservations for these.

Tia Sophia's for breakfast/lunch in the plaza
Ore House patio for margaritas and people watching on the plaza
The Shed -- lunch just off the plaza

Run a search for Santa Fe Restaurants as there are lots of posts and rec's.

I second the Tesuque Market. Its been redone and has an outdoor pizza oven. Very fun and the breakfast is great as well as lunch or dinner for traditional New Mexican fare.

Have a great trip and get your 10K Waves reservations!! Its worth it as Bishop's spa doesn't hold a candle to it.

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM

BeachGirl,
Next time you're at Ore House, you gotta have their charred tomato salsa. Best salsa I've had anywhere. I'm waiting until they sell it from their website before opening the last of the six jars I packed in my suitcase when we were there last fall.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:06 PM

BeachBum, I've had it and its delicious!! Always have that with one, or two!, of their excellent margaritas. So many margaritas. So little time.

When you open your last jar, you'll have to plan your next trip! I'm always looking for an excuse for our next trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Definitely go to 10,000 Waves for the spa part! Inn of the Anasazi is where I would stay with an unlimited budget--beautiful hotel right in the plaza. We stayed at the Eldorado, though, and found it reasonably priced and quite nice, if you want a different option. It's a very short walk to the plaza. Also, I have friends who rave about La Posada--it is closer to the art walk.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Wow.....thank you for all the advice, we booked our fun at 10,000 waves, it is very tempting to try out the hotels in town - they seem amazing, but we are from Texas so we need our mountain fix! We did confirm that we are in the newer part of the lodge - what a shame it has lost some of it's charm...our room is on the ridge. We are renting a car - and know that parking is tricky, but I did also find out there is a shuttle that goes into town from Bishops. We were also told to go have a drink at La Fonda at sunset...absolutely cannot wait...I am printing our everyone's advice...Thank you all so much!
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM

10yrannv -- We'd love a trip report.

Hope it was a great trip!