Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where to stay between Capitol Reef and south Rim ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-to-stay-between-capitol-reef-and-south-rim-944010/)

kodi Jul 23rd, 2012 02:55 PM

Where to stay between Capitol Reef and south Rim ?

I have most of my reservations made, and feel so much better about my trip.
The only question I have is where to stay between Capitol Reef and the south Rim .
We have an overnight slotted along the route 24 to Hanksville, and down 95 and 261 to Mexican Hat. and down 163 through Monument Valley and down 160 to Tuba City. .
There doesn't seem to be many towns along the way. or at least not many.

Where should we stop and what should we do along this route.? Visit Monument Valley? I guess if we drive through Monument Valley we should stay at or near the south end of the Valley .
How about Kayenta?

Thanks for any help.

InSandy Jul 23rd, 2012 04:26 PM

You are right. Between Hanksville and Mexican Hat except for the campground at Natural Bridges and other dispersed camping there is nothing. No homes, no gas stations, no hotels, no stores. It is wonderful :-)

Well there is the Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast at the foot of Moki dugway. But be warned-- they have nothing for dinner.

So Mexican Hat is your first possibility. If you stayed there you would have time to explore that road, enjoy Natural Bridges, go slow down Moki Dugway, see Goosenecks, shop at San Juan Trading post and spend some time at Monument Valley.

Your next option would be Monument Valley. Either the View hotel which has the best view, or the long established Gouldings Lodge. Since there is limited lodging it does tend to go fast.

Kayenta is your next option but I would try for something before that if possible just because it would give you more time to enjoy everything else along the way.

kodi Jul 23rd, 2012 04:47 PM

Sandy, thank you so much.. That is exactly what I wanted to know. so would your first suggestion be your first choice for the day? It sounds really great. Can I go down that road in a rental car?

happytrailstoyou Jul 23rd, 2012 05:33 PM

My choice would be the Hampton Inn in Kayenta.

We stayed at Gouldings years ago and weren't inclined to return. We were excited when we learned The View was opening, so we booked a room there and were disappointed to find it to be a poor value and to have an unnecessarily mediocre dining room.

HTTY

spirobulldog Jul 23rd, 2012 07:58 PM

Obviously, make sure you have a full tank of gas.

kodi Jul 24th, 2012 04:32 AM

Happy, thanks very much. As it turns out I think the View and Gouldings are already booked, taking the decision out of my hands .

Spiro, always good to be reminded .

I'm glad my reservations are all made.. this is the only one left.

Thank goodness for Fodorites !

spirobulldog Jul 24th, 2012 09:35 AM

We stayed at Valley of the Gods and enjoyed it. YOu could easily do Monument Valley from there. Valley of the Gods is kind of a mini monument valley.

You could grab some grub at Austin's Chuckwagon in Torrey(they have good sandwiches/deli/grocery store). Get a pie at Capitol Reef Gifford House. Anyway, save these and eat them at Muley Point or Goosenecks of the San Juan, or Natural Bridges.

Sipapu Bridge at Natural Bridges is awesome. Goosenecks are interesting and definately worth a stop. Moki Dugway is cool. Everyone seem to like Muley Point. I didn't think much of it really.

kodi Jul 24th, 2012 11:53 AM

Thank you Spiro. Actually we are staying at Austin's chuckwagon, so it will be handy to pick up some food to take along.

I have not heard of Moki Dugway until I read about it here on Fodor's forum.

emc Jul 24th, 2012 12:29 PM

On the way from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon to Moab, UT a couple of years ago, we stayed in Mexican Hat at the Hat Rock Inn so we could see Monument Valley which was about 1/2 hour very scenic drive away. From Mexican Hat, we also went to Goosenecks State Park and would have liked to drive the Moki Dugway, but didn't think our rental car company would appreciate it. The Hat Rock Inn was basic, but clean and quiet. We had a second floor room facing the river and enjoyed sitting outside our room, enjoying the view each evening. The Swinging Steak, a short walk up the road, was a fun place to eat dinner. We also ate at the San Juan Inn just down the road for two breakfasts and one dinner. Pretty decent food. Monument Valley is spectacular. You can take a tour (Gouldings does them or you can find a guide at the View Hotel)so you don't have to drive the unpaved road through the park yourself. The other advantage of the tours (at least the ones led by Navajo guides) is that they take you back into areas that are restricted to the general public. Enjoy your trip. It's a beautiful and impressive part of the world.

InSandy Jul 24th, 2012 01:00 PM

kodi, I'd probably stay at Mexican Hat if you can get something there.

And yes you can take a rental car down the Moki dugway since it is a numbered and maintained state road there is no rental car restrictions.

Can't say the same about the Valley of the Gods scenic backroad.

It is fun to hear others say the View is not a good value. I am really debating on whether I'm going to boycott it on principle.

And I'm with you spirobulldog about Muley Point... it was too long on a bumpy road for a view that was better in my opinion from the road.

ElendilPickle Jul 24th, 2012 03:58 PM

We just stayed at the Wetherill Inn in Kayenta. The room was nice and they have a decent breakfast.

Lee Ann

kodi Jul 25th, 2012 04:29 AM

Thank you all so much. I really am getting excited. The tour certainly does sound like the best way to see Monument Valley. That way neither one of us has to keep our eyes on the road.